Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a newbie--ive got a problem with my computer

Junior Member PaulEdwardWagemann's Avatar

I'm a newbie--ive got a problem with my computer

Hello, sorry I dont have time for introductions, but I'm in a bit of a pickle and thought someone on this board could help me out.
    Last week I clicked on a link to a site called 'chicago hardcore punk' and it caused an error message to come up on my computer. The message read:"Mprexe has caused an error in KERNEL32DLL". This only happnes on computers with windows ME or less (I have windows ME). Anyway if you click on the message box to close it, it will freeze up your computer. If you dont click on it, the computer will be slow.

Well I searched around and found out that to get rid of the error you simply go to your start/search and find all files with *.pwl in the title. Simply delete those files (in my case their were just three files) and restart your computer, and everything will be fine.
    My problem is that after I cleared the error, I tried clicking on that link once again and this time the same thing happened--same error message and everything, BUT when I went to search for files with *.pwl there obviously werent any because I had deleted them. So now I'm trying to figure this out. I'm a total know-nothing when it comes to computers, so if anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I'd like to fix it without spending any money because I'm bascically living hand to mouth right now and my computer is a luxury, not a neccessity in that regard...

format c:

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    format c:
    install win2k

fixed
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Ya ME isnt the most stable OS to run.

Go into start and run and type msconfig, and in the startup section look for anything fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    format c:
    sorry, like i say, i'm a total know-nothing when it comes to computers...and i'm not sure what your message means. Im the type that needs step by step instructions--puy in laymens terms usually) or else I'm totally lost.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF

Go into start and run and type msconfig, and in the startup section look for anything fishy.
    thanx, ill try that...

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF

Since he is so new, would he know what to look for? Would not installing and running crap cleaner, and hijack this...with a posting of his log be of help?
    Mystical Folding Minx

Quote Originally Posted by MissTynker2
    Since he is so new, would he know what to look for? Would not installing and running crap cleaner, and hijack this...with a posting of his log be of help?

Those are good suggestions too. Its always good to run ccleaner!

As far as what to look for in msconfig Paul,

xashfsg.exe
    aoighopaerh.exe
    eorugher.exe
    lknlkucv.exe

Junk like that, very random letters and usually at least 8 letters long.

Could be time to do a reformat...I would back up all the stuff you keep on your computer and reformat.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

buy windows xp, and start fresh man

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

the original plan that you had might work but you need to disable system restore before deleting the files and restarting the pc.

can't remember exactly where system restore is in ME but just google it to find out.

then follow the other steps that others have posted...all good info.

For someone who doesn't know anything about computers, getting an OS disk and starting fresh will save many people many headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil
    the original plan that you had might work but you need to disable system restore before deleting the files and restarting the pc.

can't remember exactly where system restore is in ME but just google it to find out.

then follow the other steps that others have posted...all good info.
    Does Win ME have a system restore? That was a thought of mine as well, to disable system restore, however not being familiar with that os, I was not even sure it had one.
    Mystical Folding Minx

Be nice mountain man! He is new! Remember when? Give the gang a chance to help him out here.
    Mystical Folding Minx

Windows ME System Restore

To restore your computer settings from an earlier time:

Click the Start button.
    Point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
    Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.
    Make sure you have closed all your files and open programs, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
    Click Next.
    Your system will revert to its previous settings, your time will return to its usual dimensions, and you can go full speed ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne
    this is probablly what I'll have to do eventually, but money constraints right now have me by the you-know-whats...
    These are all very good suggestions and I'll try to work on stuff tonight and let you all know how it turns out, (or ask some more dumb questions if I get stuck). Thanks again for your helpfulness, you've all gone a long way to restore my faith in humanity (for awhile at least, or until some jerk cuts me off in traffic or something)...

Welcome to SG Paul.

Hang in there Paul !!...and a bit late...but welcome to speedguide! I really doubt you will have to go to the last suggestion..and a couple of others made, especially since funding is an issue. Just give this gang a bit more time to help you out...they are really a great group!! Some suggested things that are normally kinda funny to us, however, as a new person, you would not be able to pick out the humor in those, and thats OK!!! You WILL get there!! We sometimes forget, this being a technical site...that a new person coming in..does not yet understand the difference between the "kidding" and the serious responses. You have come to a good place...honestly...If you get lost, or confused, or do not understand ...(and geez..I do in my own house!), please do not be afraid to ask further. This group won't give up...as long as you don't!!

Smiles to ya!
    Mystical Folding Minx

Quote Originally Posted by DIDS
    Windows ME System Restore

To restore your computer settings from an earlier time:

Click the Start button.
    Point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
    Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.
    Make sure you have closed all your files and open programs, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
    Click Next.
    Your system will revert to its previous settings, your time will return to its usual dimensions, and you can go full speed ahead.
    Yeah, I cant tell who is joking and who is not. I'm gonna bump this thread and ask if anyone else thinks I should do what DIDS suggests. My wife says she doesnt think its possible (but she's a know-nothing when it comes to computers also)...if its possible, then I'll give it a try...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEdwardWagemann
    do what DIDS suggests.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.