Thread: DR Site Planning

Advanced Member

DR Site Planning

I am looking to get some information on planning and setting up a DR site. Just searching Google I am getting plenty of people who want to sell me some recovery service, but not really much useful information from an IT perspective. I am really looking to get some specifics on how to setup the network infastructure here. Also if anyone has done this I would really appreciate some input, as this is my first DR project.

Off the bat my idea would be like a mirror of the most important servers at the DR site. These would be kept up to date within a few hours at most of the main site via a dedicated line. Then I would want say HSRP to handle my routing, so both the DR and primary are setup to work in the same public IP address. The primary goes down, DR detects it and picks up. The primary comes back up and DR drops connection. This way I can have everything running from the main sight, and then within a known time period of primary going down the DR site would start advertising itself as if it were the primary site.

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by "DR Site"? Do you mean a replication site?
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Advanced Member
    For starters yes, but that part is easy enough. It is just a link and some software to keep everything up to date.

What I am more interested in is setting up a site where, should the main one be ofline for any reason, everyone would work from. Basically my ideal plan would be some staff working from home via VPN while others work at the DR site itself. So basically I am looking to replicate my primary site at a different site, a hot site basically.

What I am really looking to get in is if going with HSRP is the right/best solution for keeping two live sites. What I am thinking of is having my primary and DR site both using all of the same IP addresses. WAN routers are usuing BGP to advertise an AS to my IP block. If the primary were to go down then HSRP would force the DR equipment to start advertising that connection as the path to my IP range, and after a bit of convergance time all traffic would be flowing to the DR site, but still be addressed asif it were going to my primary site. Then when I get the primary back up and running HSRP would kick in again, and tell the DR to shutdown and the primary becomes active.