Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU dead?

CPU dead?

Hi,

I was watching a movie on my computer and it gave me a heat warning then shut off. It turns on but it won't post the bois screen at all. No signal gets the the monitor. I don't hear the hard drives kick in either.

It's a Pentium D 830 with a 945 intel motherboard and they have been working fine for about a year.

Is there something I can try to see if the cpu isn't dead and how will I know if it's just the cpu and not the motherboard also?

Thanks!
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

any beeps? open it up and check for burned parts etc

Also check for dust in the heatsink and fans, reset the cmos, and if it POSTs, make sure the fans are running.

At the very least your CPU is dead. It's possible that your motherboard is fried too, but more often than not the motherboard manages to escape harm in these situations. As for how to tell whether its one, the other, or both....well you really can't. You could probably shell out some big bucks to buy some fancy testing equipment, but its probably not worth it. I would suggest just replacing the CPU. If you put thenew CPU in and your system still doesn't boot, then the board is fried also.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    any beeps? open it up and check for burned parts etc

No beeps at all.

If I replace the motherboard and cpu and use a different style of motherboard and cpu will I have to buy win xp again?

If I put in a new cpu and the motherboard is bad will it fry the new cpu?

Thanks!!

No, a bad motherboard will not fry the CPU. As for XP, you may have to obtain a new key from Microsoft, but you do not have to buy an entirely new copy of XP.

It's not so simple. Please reseat all cards, the processor, and memory. Try booting w/ just the memory, vid card and and processor hooked up, see if you get a video signal to your monitor...and let us know if you get Video, if you do, after reseating memory, proc, vid card, then it's another component (fried dial up modems sometimes prevent machines from posting w/ out taking anything else out -- assuming a modem is installed and is connected to a phone line AND a surge has gone through soon).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary335
    Based on the error he got, itis that simple. When you add 2+2, you alwaysget 4. When you add CPU+heat, you always get fried. No if's an's or but's about it.

Chips are meant to turn off to help protect them from getting fried, if this protection was on, it should just need to be fiddled with.

Based on the error he got, itis that simple. When you add 2+2, you alwaysget 4. When you add CPU+heat, you always get fried. No if's an's or but's about it.
    that's your opinion.

it can't hurt to do some troubleshooting first before he goes out and spends money though.

SlyOneDoofy, also test the power supply with a multimeter to see what voltage it is putting out, google if you need a guide on how to test with it.

The power supply is an Antec true550 watt. I assume it should be plently and it kicks on and powers everything but no post. I'll fiddle with it tonight and see if clearing the cmos, re-seating everything helps.

Mark... I'll try that I have a multimeter in the garage.

Thanks for all the help and if it's fried I might look at getting the E6700 to replace it and would like some advice on motherboards to go with it.
    Last edited by SlyOneDoofy; 09-05-06 at 09:12 PM.

Edit: No longer relavent. Waiting on info from SlyOneDoofy
    Last edited by A_old; 09-06-06 at 10:22 AM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy

Is there something I can try to see if the cpu isn't dead and how will I know if it's just the cpu and not the motherboard also?

Thanks!
    Was the HSF on the CPU spinning?

Remove all peripherals you can...PCI cards, cables to hard drives, all power cables except to motherboard, RAM sticks, etc. Even the vid card. Reset BIOS to defaults. CPU removed also!

Now with the system as naked as possible..power up. Any beeps? If so..good.

One by one..begin reinstalling components..CPU...Power up....anything? If so...keep going..next...vid card...then RAM...drives, etc. Powering up between each component you reinstall.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Sorry I have been busy with work. I'll pull it apart tonight and see if it's dead. I'll keep you guys updated on how it comes out.

Thanks

OK, this is weird......I went upstair just now and hit the power button and it posted and said intel and I shut if off real quick because I was freaked out it would burn up.

After it shut down the first time when I started this post and gave me the error it wouldn't do anything for 2 days but now it's posting. I'm not sure what is going on now.

I'm guessing it needs a better cooling fan but I'd like to see if windows actually loads up all the way and it's not damaged before I go out and buy a new fan for a broke system.

Here's the question....Do I take the risk of running it until windows loads and see if everything works ok?

Thanks!!!

Yes, run it and see if it posts...AFTER you pop it open, make sure it isn't too dusty (clean it out using canned air and a vacuum if so -- don't get too close w/ the vacuum and don't turn the can of air upside-down though), make sure the CPU fan is spinning and the heatsink is securely fastened to the processor socket.

Also, if you're a smoker, don't do so in the same room as the PC as the tar really gunks fans and vents up.

Well as a computer repairman I know that the CPU would be the first thing I'd check. Just because it shut down doesn't mean it did so fast enough. It had to achieve a certain temperature to get to the shutdwn point, and that temperature is enough to fry a CPU.
    OK, I made it into XP and gave it enough time to update AVG then shut it down.

What's a good fan for the Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz? I'd like one that can really cool it down because I don't want to fry it again.

And yes Gary335 you were wrong this time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185027

scythe could be a bit tricky to install, not too difficult, but it could be time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy
    OK, I made it into XP and gave it enough time to update AVG then shut it down.

What's a good fan for the Pentium D 830 3.0Ghz? I'd like one that can really cool it down because I don't want to fry it again.

And yes Gary335 you were wrong this time.

Back to the issue..how do you know it's the fan? Did you check it and see that it isn't spinning? (you didn't give us that information)

Hey guys, lets give it up already and help Sly..

Whatever happened to getting back on track?
    i couldn't help it, i love office space. i need sleep. on a side note, if traffic holds up, i'll have 2100 unique vistors to my site this month (YAY), best i've had so far is 1240 or so