Thread: Connection Issues

Connection Issues

I have been having a lot of trouble with BellSouth. The problem appears to be their server. My modem is constantly unlocking during peak hours (around noon and then again between 5PM and 10PM). I also occasionally get connection drops without having the modem unlocked, but this happens about 1 time for every 10 that the modem disconnects. The disconnections occur erratically and I can have a solid lock for 15 min and then get several unlocks in a short 5 min period.

I am 150' from the node, the line from the node to the 2-line network interface is new. I ran Cat 5E from the network interface to a DSL splitter (3') and then from the splitter to the modem (50'). The phone is disconnected to ensure that it is not causing interference, and it isn't.

The modem is a new Westell C90 - 610030 - 06. Resetting it does not help. It is equipped with proprietary programming.

While I will be changing ISP's soon, I wanted people to know what they might face with BellSouth, and any constructive comments towards improving their service would be appreciated.

Honestly, besides the advertised speed not being as fast as cable i couldn't be happier with Bellsouth. I have had the least amount of issues with this ISP. You shouldn't be having peak hours issues with DSL, That part baffles me as cable has always had these issues, i could never play online games after 6 pm until after midnight when i had comcrap cable.

Call Bellsouth Tech support and ask them to run line test... I suspect there is some noise somehwere in the DSL circuit.. You can also look at your specific dsl level ... see http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7036

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by Serebren View Post
    I have been having a lot of trouble with BellSouth. The problem appears to be their server. My modem is constantly unlocking during peak hours (around noon and then again between 5PM and 10PM). I also occasionally get connection drops without having the modem unlocked, but this happens about 1 time for every 10 that the modem disconnects. The disconnections occur erratically and I can have a solid lock for 15 min and then get several unlocks in a short 5 min period.

I am 150' from the node, the line from the node to the 2-line network interface is new. I ran Cat 5E from the network interface to a DSL splitter (3') and then from the splitter to the modem (50'). The phone is disconnected to ensure that it is not causing interference, and it isn't.

The modem is a new Westell C90 - 610030 - 06. Resetting it does not help. It is equipped with proprietary programming.

While I will be changing ISP's soon, I wanted people to know what they might face with BellSouth, and any constructive comments towards improving their service would be appreciated.