Thread: Download speed will not increase?

Unhappy Download speed will not increase?

Hi, I just upgraded from the 5 meg package to the 10 meg. The upload is fine. I'm getting around 940kbs up but my download is staying the same, Around 4700kbs. I have a Ambit modem and Charter told me it was good for the 10 meg DL. I checked the modem logs and its provisioned for the 10 meg. Anyone have any idea why my upload would increase and not my download? Charter seems to have no idea.

Thanks, Kevin
    Kevin

HP m1180n,Pentium 4 550 (P) HT 3.4 GHz,800 MHz FSB,250 GB SATA Hdd. 3GB RAM,ATI Radeon X300SE Graphics, 128MB DDR Memory, 8x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL drive, Altec Lansing ,7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

Is it plugged in by ethernet, or USB? USB should have no trouble handling it really though.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Is it plugged in by ethernet, or USB? USB should have no trouble handling it really though.
    Its plugged in by ethernet. How would that affect the download and not the upload? Just trying to learn something here..
    Kevin

HP m1180n,Pentium 4 550 (P) HT 3.4 GHz,800 MHz FSB,250 GB SATA Hdd. 3GB RAM,ATI Radeon X300SE Graphics, 128MB DDR Memory, 8x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL drive, Altec Lansing ,7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

thinking maybe the usb was being slowed down and just running at 5mb, the upload is slwoer than 5mb so it wouldnt be affected, but it being ethernet rules that out.

Thanks YoS. If Charter does not know, I guess i'll drop back to the 5meg package. No need in paying for something that i'm only getting half of...
    Kevin

Angry Fixed, Kinda

I FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM,AT LEAST THE CHARTER TECH THAT CAME BY DID.
    OUR CITY IS LISTED AS HAVING THE 10 MEG SERVICE WITH CHARTER. ACCORDING TO THE TECH,WE DO NOT HAVE THE 10 MEG SERVICE AVAILABLE YET! HE SAID THEY SOLD ME SOMETHING THEY DO NOT HAVE. HE ALSO SAID THAT WE WERE LUCKY TO BE ABLE TO PUSH 5 MEGS HERE. ONE THING HE COULD NOT EXPLAIN WAS WHY I WAS GETTING THE 1 MEG UPLOAD THAT COMES WITH THE 10 MEG PACKAGE? ANYWAY, HE GAVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL STRAIGHT THROUGH AND THEY DOWNGRADED ME BACK TO THE 5MEG/512 SERVICE AND MY MODEM IS NOT GOING OFF AND ON ANYMORE AND I CHECKED MY MODEM LOGS AND ITS BACK TO THE 5/512 PROVISION.
    THANKS TO EVERYONE THATS TRIED TO HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM.IT JUST GOES TO SHOW WHAT I HAVE SAID ALL ALONG,CHARTER REPS ARE NOT ALL ON THE SAME PAGE AND PROBLEY NEVER WILL BE.

THANKS AGAIN, KEVIN
    Kevin