Thread: Cisco DSL Router

Unhappy Cisco DSL Router

Hi. I hope you will be able to help on this one. I am new to the whole concept of Networking as well as routing. Unfortunately I have been thrown into the deep end of the pool on this one. The problem:
    We have recently upgraded our DSL from capped to uncapped, with the result - We recieve a new (pre-setup) Cisco router. Our previous setup was a dsl router with DHCP to which all the computers were connected through a switch. The problem however is that with the new router, it cannot be done like that. I haave to set up a windows 2003 server to connect to the router and all the clients to connect to the internet via the windows 2003 server. I installed two network cards. The one is set up to connect directly to the router, whilst the other is set up to conect to the switch. I have set up the conection to the router to use the I.P., subnet and gateway (I.P. 196.211.109.x, Subnet 255.255.255.x, Gateway 196.211.109.x) as given by the service provider. I can connect to the internet without any problems. The second card I set up with a completely different I.P. address (The range we used on the previous network - I.P. 10.10.10.x, subnet 255.255.255.x, no gateway). DHCP does allocate the address range correctly with the I.P. address of the second network card (10.10.10.x) as the default gateway, but I am unable to connect to the internet or mail. Please help. Thank You.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr_2004
    DHCP does allocate the address range correctly with the I.P. address of the second network card (10.10.10.x) as the default gateway, but I am unable to connect to the internet or mail. Please help. Thank You.
    I don't follow what you mean here. Just create a new scope...run through the wizard.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    The router should have two interfaces, a WAN and a LAN. Is that 196.211.109.x IP something that you got from your ISP? You might have it a lot easier if you just setup the routers LAN interface to be like 10.10.10.1 and connect that to the switch. Then configure everything with 10.10.10.1 as the gateway.

Doing what you are attempting, or at least as I understand it, you need to have the server setup to do routing. If everything is correct then as YOSC mentioned it should just be a matter of running the DHCP setup wizard and creating a new scope. Make sure that you point the router address option to the Cisco router, and you should be good.

What model is the router? An 800 series?