Thread: Photo Gallery??

Question Photo Gallery??

Any thoughts of maybe adding one to the community? Have it where only premium members can upload photo's to a community gallery to share with others. Regular members can leave comments, rate each photo, ect.

Something similar to THIS as for the layout.

Thoughts, idea's?

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    I dig the idea.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Blog Entries
    I'll research it. That particular site uses "PhotoPost" vB plugin. The problem with integrated vB solutions like that is future vB upgrades, since they require changing the database and scripts that run the forums. vBulletin upgrades require a database that is not modified. Also, some introduce load issues (exessive DB queries), etc.

I have to find a solution that is not too obtrusive and doesn't make big changes to the forums structure, I'll look into it.

SG Enthusiast
    gallery - http://gallery.menalto.com - is smooth, free and embeds nicely into many CMS and BBS systems...unfortunately vB isn't listed.

I have heard similar comments(complaints) from peeps who run vB about integration issues when it comes time to patch/upgrade. They stick with it cuz it offers what they need. It should be fairly straight forward to maintain outside vB (like reviews) but that may not be the direction the site wants to go.

Customizing

Gallery is extremely customizable. There are lots of included customizations, many more that you can download, and endless possibilities! There are 4 main ways to customize Gallery:

* CSS - Modify Gallery's style sheets, use your existing site's style sheet, or write your own to control colors, borders, spacing [0]
    * Themes - Gallery comes with lots of themes are there are plenty more to download. Check out The user contributions page to start looking for more skins and other easy customizations. [0]
    * html_wrap - Have an existing HTML template for your site but don't use a content management system? html_wrap is for you! You can include content above, below, to the left, and to the right of gallery to make it blend in with the rest of your site. (example 1, example 2, example 3)[0]

* changing code - Gallery is open source so you can easily change the source code to make it do whatever you want it to do.

The one thing you can't easily do right now is to change the layout from a grid format to something else. However, in v2.0 we plan to introduce a templating system that will let you write your own HTML to do customized themes and layouts (or use the ones that we and other users provide). You can find out more about MANY more customizations further down in the user guide underneath the Customization area
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip
    <... Also, some introduce load issues (exessive DB queries), etc.

I have to find a solution that is not too obtrusive and doesn't make big changes to the forums structure, I'll look into it.
    Depending on the number of pix, a dbms may be the only answer - using flatfiles for >1000 pix might be more painful - especially if the db_record only has pointers to filesystem locations.

Skye

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Thanks for at least looking into it Philip. And thanks Cyber for looking into the gallery programs.

SG Enthusiast
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111931

Thumbs up Gallery 2.1 and vBulletin 3.5.X integration
    This tutorial will outline the steps needed to integrate your vBulletin 3.5.X and Menalto Gallery 2.1 installations. The original thread located here has become a little too scattered, and since it's original focus was on the Gallery 2.0 and vBulletin 3.0 series, I think it'd be beneficial to start this new thread so that the information is more easily found for the 3.5.X and 2.1 series.

Before we begin, you should be aware that this tutorial assumes that you'll be placing your gallery in the root directory for your forums. My directory structure looks a little like this:

public_html/Vbulletin Files
    and
    public_html/gallery2/Gallery Files

As long as your gallery folder is located within your root vBulletin directory, this should work just fine.

Yay...thanks Philip!!

Blog Entries
    Sure thing. I may increase the disk quotas once I get a more clear picture (some pun intended) of the average bandwidth usage.

No pictures ? ---> http://gallery.speedguide.net/index.php?g2_itemId=1882

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sure thing. I may increase the disk quotas once I get a more clear picture (some pun intended) of the average bandwidth usage.

No pictures ? ---> http://gallery.speedguide.net/index.php?g2_itemId=1882

I'll be adding more of course.