Thread: Slow Response

Question Slow Response

I've performed numerous reinstallations of Windows XP and it seems that maybe I'm doing something wrong. The reason I say this is because I get a slow response whenever I click on an icon to bring a program up on my computer it hesitates for while before opening up. Now, I've tweaked the registry in the MenuShowDelay to 0, on my mouse I've move the slider over to 90% of the speed position, I've turned off several programs such as System Restore but I have another backup program, I've adjusted the color to 16 bits. I've just about exshauted all areas I can think of. Yes, I performed a clean install of Windows XP. I understand that some programs have a great deal of files to load but I believe that it's something else other than that what causing my problem. Don't get me wrong the programs are slow but it not quite like molasses. With all the tweaks I've made it should be instanteous, wouldn't you'll say? What else could I possibly do to get a better response? I also run Spybot, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware Plus and Ewido, oh yeah and Windows Defender with Avast antivirus.
    Can someone shed some light on this? It has puzzled me for quite sometime now.

If you disable avast is it faster?

What processor speed, and how much ram you have?

I have about 1 Gig of Ram and my processor speed is 1.80Ghz Pentium 4

I can disable Avast, that's my antivirus software. I wish that I could. I know for a fact that it's eating up my resources for sure.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    On my rigs..with WinXP one of the first things I do if change the visual affects to "best performance". Makes it a bit snappier.

Right click "My Computer"..select "properties". Click the "Advanced" tab...and click the "Settings" button insde the top Performance box. Flip the radio button choice to "Adjust for best performance".

Yes Avast slows PCs down a little more than other free antiviruses, AVG is lighter...but its detection rate is not as good as Avast. Antivir is another freebie...good detection rates, I haven't played with it in a while, but I do remember a few times when I tried it..it's auto update features were a little lazy. Had to stay on top of it. Microsoft will give you a free year subscription for CA eTrust. IMO of the free ones..it's a good combo of detection rates, ease of updates, and light system impact.

Is your hard drive newer or older?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Both of my hard drives are brand new Western Digital, althought I have wipped them several times using IOLO scrub brush. I have 1 40G and 1 80G which I'm currently using a striped configuration for storage after converting to dynamic disk. I have the poor man's raid, LOL. I guess I have the Raid 0 config. I thought the same thing about my hard drives and that's why I purchased 2 new ones. I'm also using the best performance setting without all the candy.
    Last edited by Larkina; 08-09-06 at 10:30 PM.

Oh yeah, I appreciate the tip on the low impact antivirus software from Microsoft. I'm not familiar with that one, but I sure will give it a try. You know when you get use to a certain software and it's a good as Avast, and I mean it's good as for as updating you couldn't ask for more. I did shutdown all the items I could on Avast such as the tray icon, I merged both icons together, disabled the voice and 1 or 2 more features but it's like you said, it's a HOG. I guess you can't have it all, Thank you.

also theres a thread here about kaspersky being free now too.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkina
    low impact antivirus software from Microsoft. I'm not familiar with that one, but I sure will give it a try.
    Can always give it a try and see how it works on your system...
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

...you'll see the link up top there..the 12 month...

Download it..when you register they'll e-mail you a serial key...
    Uninstall Avast...bounce..install this one..see how you like it.

IMO Avast does have better detection...mostly when it comes to ad/spyware, as far as viruses/worms go..CA holds its own just as well. I'd wager you're more of a careful PC user though..so that difference shouldn't be as important to you.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I try to be. Hey, thank you'll for the great tips.