Thread: Kaspersky Anti-virus 6 for FREE

Kaspersky Anti-virus 6 for FREE

..... well almost. I just read this thread at Wilder's Forums and found AOL giving away a stripped down version of KAV 6, read HERE. It is KAV 6 without the Proactive Defense or Web Scanning features, it only has the file & email scanning, which is still as much as most other anti-virus programs have. I don't know all of the details, but it seems like a great deal for anyone who wants to use KAV.

Last edited by mnosteele52; 08-07-06 at 07:16 PM.

excelent thank you much, installed as i really like this app

I've got to BUMP this, it's really KAV 6 for FREE. I installed it for a friend today, you get the file and email antivirus part of Kaspersky along with scheduled scans and updates all for FREE.

You should have bumped this like 4 hours ago! lol

omg yard...that Avatar is effing hilarious.

oh yeah, and free AntiVirus is always good

found a trojan that slipped by norton

that's because norton is stupid and doesnt look hard enough, i put that kaspersky on company server and well norton 2006 missed 26 things of netsky. i was kinda shocked and thought that it was a mistake so i updated virus protection on their norton and scanned the drive and if was found to be clean and kaspersky still found the 26 netskys in their outlook folder. Now im going to remove them and have a meeting on suggesting norton replaced with kaspersky

so thanks for bumping this

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by d2fanatic007
    that's because norton is stupid and doesnt look hard enough, i put that kaspersky on company server and well norton 2006 missed 26 things of netsky. i was kinda shocked and thought that it was a mistake so i updated virus protection on their norton and scanned the drive and if was found to be clean and kaspersky still found the 26 netskys in their outlook folder. Now im going to remove them and have a meeting on suggesting norton replaced with kaspersky

so thanks for bumping this
    Ouch..it missed Netsky? I'm not a fan of Nortons home user products...their Corporate AV's were OK..up til the past 2 years...but they usually did OK with viruses..just very weak in ad/spyware. Surprised it missed Netsky. A home consumer product on a "server" though? What was the Outlook folder..a PST? Not sure if it can scan inside a PST file. Was the end users workstation protected too?

I'm at a lab equipment place...this weeks project...replacing their old 2K server with an SBS2K3 server. End users had POP3 accounts to Outlook PSTs locally...1/2 the place here ran on Norton 2006..the others..AVG. I'm replacing with NOD32 Small Biz Edition...you should see it lighting up as I install it on their workstations. The machine I just did...I uninstall AVG and shoved on NOD32...light up on the first boot with trojans. Then when I imported her PST file into her Exchange mailbox...the XMON on the server lit up like crazy with quite a few bad guys in her mailbox.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I'm currently using AVG. What are the opinions between the 2? I would have no problem changing over in order to give it a try. Will I get the same protection as I'm getting with AVG?

Quote Originally Posted by Easto
    I'm currently using AVG. What are the opinions between the 2? I would have no problem changing over in order to give it a try. Will I get the same protection as I'm getting with AVG?
    AVG doesn't hold a candle to Kaspersky, I would almost bet that if you uninstall AVG and install Active Virus Shield (the free versions actual name) it will find one or multiple things AVG has missed. You can't go wrong, it's free.

I have written a tutorial on setting up KAV 6 HERE, it's pretty much the same for AVS minus a few features. I have just made my screen shots to make a new tutorial for AVS which should be up in a few days.

Thank you!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I agree...AVG "was" pretty decent back in version 6...but since 7 came out....I don't like it as much...and their detection rates have fallen down. av-comparatives.org has it just "average" now...been in the middle of the pack for over a year.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Steele, theres some activation thing? I havent DLed it, but sent the link to a friend, hes unsure how to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Steele, theres some activation thing? I havent DLed it, but sent the link to a friend, hes unsure how to handle it.
    When you download AVS it will ask for your email address so they can send you an activation code, I received mine in minutes, but I have seen others that took almost a day, I guess it's because they are getting so many requests.

klif.sys gave me a blue screen error....then when I rebooted I got another blue screen.....had to goto safe mode and delete klif.sys. too bad cuz I really want to try Kapersky.

it's probably my system though....i've done too many tweaks too it, some service is probably disabled or something...

Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99
    klif.sys gave me a blue screen error....then when I rebooted I got another blue screen.....had to goto safe mode and delete klif.sys. too bad cuz I really want to try Kapersky.

it's probably my system though....i've done too many tweaks too it, some service is probably disabled or something...

Are you using Sygate's firewall?

Installed and promptly uninstalled it. Didn't care for it.

i dont like the way AOL has Kaspersky setup it doesnt feel the same as good ole Kav or Kis 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by d2fanatic007
    i dont like the way AOL has Kaspersky setup it doesnt feel the same as good ole Kav or Kis 6.0
    It's exactly the same minus the Proactive Defense module and a few other minor things, all they did was change the gui.

I finally got the tutorial done on setting up AVS, you can read it HERE.