Thread: After TCP Optimizer, router reboots constantly

dude051

Angry After TCP Optimizer, router reboots constantly

Hi there, I recently got an increase in my internet speed to 7mb/s and wanted to fix another long standing problem on mIRC. So to hit em both, I used the Event ID 4226 Patcher to help fix disconnecting errors in mIRC. Like clock work every 12hrs I will disconnect one after the other from each server I am on, which is 3, with Software Caused Abort disconnet errors. Sometimes FTP connections will time out at that time too ect. Hoping this would help that, I used the patcher and set it to 50. Ok, with also being bumped up to 7mb/s I wanted to grab my full potential, esp. since I havent tweaked this machine. Below is the settings:

Cable
    Road Runner - San Antonio - 7/384
    Last Result With tweaks :
    Download Speed: 6576 kbps (822 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 350 kbps (43.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    XP SP2
    Router - DI-524 Rev.C Fw-3.20

TCP/IP Analyzer:
    TCP properties for IP = XX.XX.XX.XX ()
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
    Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.
    TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402
    MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
    MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.
    Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 256960
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
    Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 64240

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4) <-- current value
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)
    bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 10278.4 kbps (1284.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your TCP Window limits you to: 4111.36 kbps (513.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
    Time to live left = 51 hops
    TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

Now my problem is this. Now I spuratically get times when my router will reboot itself, not even during heavy times of traffic either. Somtimes just by browsing the internet will set it off. I also after just setting the tweaks upgraded my router's firmware, thinking it might be that I downgraded the firmware. All seemed fine, no disconnects from IRC and no reboots, but I came back this morning and IRC had crashed after disconnecting from all servers with Software Caused Connection Abort and my router was constantly disconnecting the LAN port to my computer!? Error msg's from XP kept popping up saying the cable had been disconnected. I closed IRC, cut my FTP off and the router rebooted itself, and then everytime I started IRC it did the same thing and kept closing the LAN port to this PC.... .

Ok so the natural thing was to reset all my settings to the way they were before. I restored my original backups in TCP Optimizer and have set back my TCP/IP socket creation limit to 10. So far so good, but doesnt say much as the connection lasted about 14hrs before it borked now. Is there something I did wrong in the TCP Optimizer settings? my router? what? I've tweaked connections before and this has never happened... thanks to anyone in advance!

Justin
    Last edited by dude051; 08-03-06 at 06:49 AM.

The TCPOptimizer has no effect at all on you router. Try enabling or disabling UnPNP on your router and see if it goes away.

dude051
    Thank you for the reply. I have tried with UNPNP on and off, but the same. I have never had these problems before, and my router settings have stayed the same except for upgrading the firmware, which I downgraded to what I had before. Problems arised after using TCP Optimizer. Dunno... ill still just work with it to iron out the issue.

I have setup many Dlink routers and I can say from experience that they can't get their firmware right. I have seen numerous random reboots as you are having with the latest 2 firmware updates for that router. Try a hard reset, hold the reset button down for a minute or so and then unplug the power to the router for a few minutes then set everything back up from scratch and see if fixes things.

dude051
    Very true, I have had problem with past firmwares not accepting my port forwarding correctly. The one im using now though I had thought to be my most stable. Aparently not I just did a hard reset, also power cycled my modem. So far so good, im gonna let this run and see if anything happens then just place the thing in the DMZ and see how that goes. I am really considering a new router.... this is getting to be a pain. Thanks for your help again!

BTW: you have any recommendations for a wireless G router? If this doesnt work out im just going to get a new one. (Sorry to thread jump)

Yep, the best wireless routers out right now are Linksys, I have set up MANY Linksys SRX400's (WRT54GX4) that have worked flawlessly. Their new Linksys WRT300N is also pretty good, but I have only set it up once since it is so new, but it did work perfect.