Thread: Static IP and Server Application

Static IP and Server Application

I just resently optained 5 Static IPs from my ISP on DSL.

I want to use these IPs to host a server on the net.

I have the DSL modem going to a Linksys wireless router

So here is basically how it is set up at this time.

The modem is set to DHCP enabled with the range of IP addresses that Qwest gave me. I have the wireless active on my modem as well and when I connect to the modem SSID my computers are correctly dynamically set to one of the static IPís that Qwest gave me.

The router is set to DHCP mode in order to properly see the modem.

The router also has DHCP set on it to dynamically set IP addresses. The routers LAN address is 192.168.1.1, so the dynamic IPís that the router pushes out are in that subnet.

When I connect wirelessly or Ethernet for that matter to the router from one of my computers, the computer is getting a dynamic IP address in the range of 192.168.1.XXX.

At this time I got it to connect to the Internet fine, however this will not work for my server because the server needs one of the static IPís in order for the DNS to properly find the server.

Any help would be great

SG Enthusiast
    Does that router support multiple wan ip's?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

i am not sure.

how does this work, and or asist in my situation

SG Enthusiast
    //You mentioned 5 IPs. AFAIK, it's higher end routers that support multiple IPs on the WAN - either via multiple ethernet ports or virtual adpaters.//

Since you have static addys, you should no longer set your router to receive DHCP from your provider - use one (or more) of the statics.

Set your lan machines to static ip addresses too (192.168.x.x or whatever).

Depending on which service(s) you are planning, you need to forward a certain number of ports to the serverhost.

You didn't mention which services you are providing, so I can't be more specific than I already have done.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)