Thread: wireless router cannot connect to internet

wireless router cannot connect to internet

I have a DSL connection through my phone line and am using a HomePna to ethernet converter. I plugged in the ethernet cable from the converter to my wireless router access point (ASUS WL-530g)and configured the wireless router thru the url http:\\192.168.1.1. My laptop got the wireless connection and was assigned an IP 192.168.1.2. The ISP assigned the IP 192.1168.1.105 to the wireless router. Everything seems fine but I cannot connect to the internet. I can ping all the above IPs. But when I try pinging the DNS servers of the ISP it gives "destination net unreachable" error. ISP doesnt have any special requirements to connect to the internet. When I plug out the ethernet cable from the wireless router and plug it into my laptop, my laptop gets an IP like 192.168.1.106 and I can connect to the internet succesfully.

Please help.

I tried disabling the firewall etc but doesnt work.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It sounds like your ISP gave you a combo modem/router..since the IP address that your Asus unit get is also a 192.168.1.xxx address. Thus..your Asus router is trying to deal with the same network on both sides of it..it's confused in a loop.

What make/model is it? Sounds like what you really want is just have an access point..not a wireless router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Smile resolved

Thanks for the response. Yes, that was the issue. I changed the DNS default gateway and IP address range for DHCP to 192.168.0.xxx and now it works fine.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You'll still run into some hiccups and decreased performance because you're double NAT'ing..you generally don't want 2x router cascaded like that. Does the Asus unit support being flipped to pure AP mode? Even if it doesn't...

To take another router ....and McGuyver it into an access point....

Plug a PC into your second unit...

1) Make it's LAN IP within the same range as your primary router...just not the same, and outside the DHCP pool. Example...your primary router is 192.168.1.1...and its DHCP hands out IP starting at 192.168.1.100 to 150 or so...you have from 2-99..or actually..I put secondard IP units up on the high end. Often APs are something like .245 or whatever..I actually use .253 and proceed down from there for multiple APs. So assign your second unit an IP like 192.168.1.2, or 192.168.1.245 or 253 or whatever works for you...just as long as you remember it. Apply your changes.

2) Release/renew your workstation if you had to change it from a different range (say..by default it was something like 192.168.0.1) . Else..just log into its new IP

3) If your routers firmware supports it...find an option that flips it to "AP" mode. This will effectively kill the WAN interface. If it doesn't..no biggie. But some routers can get pokey..if you leave the WAN interface set to "obtain auto", or "PPPoE". It can kill CPU cycles since it's trying to log onto some WAN connection. So set it to static IP on the WAN interface..and pick an IP range that you'd never ever log into..like 192.168.55.10 or whatever..some obscure IP range.

4) Disable DHCP on the LAN side. You only want 1x DHCP service on your network..and that will most likely be your primary router (or server if you run a full server at home)

5) Now uplink this second unit...to your main router..using LAN ports. You will not plug anything in the WAN port of your second unit. Now you can use it as a switch or an AP. DHCP will flow down into it. Change your default admin password..and continue fine tuning.

FYI..those "turbo" modes can be finicky. Only work with same make/model/family gear..does not work across different brands. If mixing brands of wireless NICs on your rigs..disable those "turbo" modes on the APs.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

will try suggestions

Thanks for the elaborate response. Will try the suggestions and post findings.
    cheers