Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Anyone use this cpu cooler?

  1. #1
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770

    Anyone use this cpu cooler?


  2. #2

  3. #3
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Thanks,i'll try that.If it doesn't fit,rma.

  4. #4
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Quote Originally Posted by G-IcE
    Thanks,i'll try that.If it doesn't fit,rma.

    What mobo and case you got?

  5. #5
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    What mobo and case you got?
    Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144152
    Mobo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131517
    Beginning to doubt it'll fit.

  6. #6
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Should fit.

    EDIT: it comes with a ton of mounting hardware.

    Capacitors by the mosfet heatsink will tuck under it and ram shouldnt be an issue cuz my ram slots are even closer I think.

  7. #7
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Should fit.

    EDIT: it comes with a ton of mounting hardware.

    Capacitors by the mosfet heatsink will tuck under it and ram shouldnt be an issue cuz my ram slots are even closer I think.
    Ok thanks,i was a bit pessimistic.How do you compare the two coolers with the info given?.

  8. #8
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Thermaltake usually has the "pretty" line and the "massive unit from hell" line.

    The pretty line never cools as well as others. it also doesnt have the heat pipe stuff which has proven very effective, pushing the heat to the top(usually the side) and letting it spread to the fins.

    Then its common sense, which has more surface area? The fan motor on the orb blocks up that space for anything else, where as the scythes fan is added on the outside, and if it breaks, you just get another one.

    I have 2 of the scythes, great coolers, even on almost silent fans teh fins dont get too hot to touch.

  9. #9
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Thermaltake usually has the "pretty" line and the "massive unit from hell" line.

    The pretty line never cools as well as others. it also doesnt have the heat pipe stuff which has proven very effective, pushing the heat to the top(usually the side) and letting it spread to the fins.

    Then its common sense, which has more surface area? The fan motor on the orb blocks up that space for anything else, where as the scythes fan is added on the outside, and if it breaks, you just get another one.

    I have 2 of the scythes, great coolers, even on almost silent fans teh fins dont get too hot to touch.
    Sums it up pretty well for me .

  10. #10
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    How do you get those clips down?,this is a devil to pin down.

  11. #11
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Quote Originally Posted by G-IcE
    How do you get those clips down?,this is a devil to pin down.

    Umm, which clips?

    You read the instructions?

  12. #12
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Umm, which clips?

    You read the instructions?
    Yep,i'm having problems clipping it to the retention bracket.When one side goes in,the other side comes out.

  13. #13
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Retention brackets?

    are you talking about the things for the fan, the 775 socket, or the 478 socket?

  14. #14
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Retention brackets?

    are you talking about the things for the fan, the 775 socket, or the 478 socket?
    939,i'm talking about the mounting clips that go into the retention bracket holes.

  15. #15
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    Oh sorry!

    Ok, I take one from each side and clip them together, so that when those 2 are clipped down, they face eachother(kinda) Then when I go to clip the other 2, it cant pop out, cuz both sides are clamped down.

    Make sense? I'm not good at writting directions.


    Also if its the original mobo retention bracket you may have to use the one the scythe came with.

    EDIT: going to the store real quick, i'll be back shortly if ya need more help.

  16. #16
    Advanced Member G-IcE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    4 seasons
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Oh sorry!

    Ok, I take one from each side and clip them together, so that when those 2 are clipped down, they face eachother(kinda) Then when I go to clip the other 2, it cant pop out, cuz both sides are clamped down.

    Make sense? I'm not good at writting directions.


    Also if its the original mobo retention bracket you may have to use the one the scythe came with.

    EDIT: going to the store real quick, i'll be back shortly if ya need more help.
    I think i get it,i was trying to do it one at a time.I'll get to it tomorrow,not enough time right now..

  17. #17
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70,013
    I did them 1 at a time on my 478 board. For the 939 I think I needed 2 first, then 1 and or 2 if ya can.

Similar Threads

  1. Best value 939 cpu?
    By RoscoPColtrane in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-29-06, 12:20 PM
  2. Burke's Mini-Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 GPU Cooler...
    By Brk in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-06, 01:00 PM
  3. Reboot problem where CPU is changed?
    By NorthMan in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-09-05, 04:20 PM
  4. CPU stuck under FAN
    By Godvict in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-05, 03:27 PM
  5. Should I buy Intel Socket 478 or 775 CPU?
    By purecomedy in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-05, 03:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •