Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first "gaming" computer?

What was your first "gaming" computer?

I don't mean the first computer specifically meant for gaming. Just the first computer you had that got you started on computer games. (not console).

I had two. The ibm 286 tower with games like Kings Quest, Chessmaster, and Gold Rush. That was my dads. I had a pc jr with the cartridge loaded games.

IBM model 70, 386, 12-16 mhz, 8MB RAM, 30MB hard drive, DOS 4.X, Windows 3.1

Apple IIc.

came this ->||<- close to getting a PC jr. instead, but the keyboard was just too cheesy.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    486 33mhz , 8 meg ram, 512 meg hdd, w/ cd rom! Kick ass eh?
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

PIII 500mhz

I think it was a 286 but I know I had a 486 setup... But I have no idea cept that it was SLOOOOOOOWWWW!!!! lol compared to what I'm running now.

by gaming... do you mean solitare?

the first pc i got that was for "gaming" was a Pentium 200MMX with 64mb ram and a 16mb generic 2d vid card... later upgraded to a 32 mb ati rage...
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    It has to be a 386. I can't remember the specs, I was too young then. I played card game and adventure games on it.

I remember there's this game where u press space bar and it means a 'punch'. I tapped the spacebar so much it broke.

Comadore 64...lol
    AMD X2 4800+ AC freezer pro 64 cooler, ASUS A8N prem. 2G OCZ platinum PC3200, eVGA 8800GTS 640MB, 37G SATA Raptor, OCZ 700W PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    PIII 500mhz
    Same.

IBM Aptiva 550.

IBM 386DX II, 300MB HDD, 4MB Ram, 2MB ISA Vid Card, and a 2400 baud modem with more dip sitches than I know what to do with. Had Windows 3.1 on it but I don't really recall using it since I can run my games in dos mode and that's what it booted up on. I remember playing Doom, Castlevania 3D, and Warcraft I/II on that thing.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Pentium 60/1 mb onboard/ 16mb ram/win 3.11 @ $3k

I played Doom and Myst, barely. I saw Quake on my bro in laws computer and tried it out on mine but it was a no go...then it began, the money pit of PC upgrading.

Advanced Member
    Pentium 3 900Mhz, 16MB of RAM I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust
    Apple IIc.

came this ->||<- close to getting a PC jr. instead, but the keyboard was just too cheesy.
    I never owned one, but they had a few at the library you could go and use. Used to trade games on floppies (5 1/4"ers) with the other kids that played, like the original Castle Wolfenstein, Cannonball, Bolo, Lode Runner, etc. (all in delicious green or amber monochrome!)

Then I got my own TRS-80 Color Computer 2 (with Extended Color Basic and 64K of memory!)

Then my mom got a 386 IBM clone, on which I played X-Wing, Wolfenstein 3-D and some other titles I can't immediately recall)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Commodore 64......played ForbiddenForest (from a cassete drive that took 14 minutes to load), Pitfall, and the Hunchback of Notre dame. The stepped up to a 386 and played a Dragonlance game I had to rent that really didn't work.

Edit: also played Pacman on the 386 and when you hit the "turbo button" on the case it ran the game too fast to play.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Packard Bell 486, 50mhz 8mb ram windows 3.11 later upgraded to 16mb of ram and windows 95

MS DOS 6.22,386 SX40 40mhz, 4mb ram,no idea how much space i had,4mb 3D voodoo video card
    i remember playing Dune2,Star wars,Wolfenstein 1,2,Defender of the crown,Doom,Golden Axe and Civilization.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas
    MS DOS 6.22,386 SX40 40mhz, 4mb ram,no idea how much space i had,4mb 3D voodoo video card
    Those 3Dfx Voodoo cards didn't come out until mid-Win95 days...ran on Glide (an OpenGL lite API)..it couldn't run by itself as a stand along video card...only ran as a daughter card when a game utilized DX or Glide.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

PII or something with 32mb ram or something with windows 95 and voodoo old card.
    Give me a fish, and you feed me for a day, teach me to fish and I won't be so damn lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Those 3Dfx Voodoo cards didn't come out until mid-Win95 days...ran on Glide (an OpenGL lite API)..it couldn't run by itself as a stand along video card...only ran as a daughter card when a game utilized DX or Glide.
    wrong,first one did work without win95,and there wasnt even win95 yet if i rememember right
    you are talking about the glide api and then etc etc and it stopped with voodoo5 64mb video card
    the first ones were working in dos enviroment,you just had to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys
    http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/d...0/v56kgb-2.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3Dfx

some of the games wasnt even compatible in windows95,you couldnt even play them i had to always go to DOS and start it from there.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata