Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was your first "gaming" computer?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by rivas
    wrong,first one did work without win95,and there wasnt even win95 yet if i rememember right
    you are talking about the glide api and then etc etc and it stopped with voodoo5 64mb video card
    the first ones were working in dos enviroment,you just had to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys
    http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/d...0/v56kgb-2.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3Dfx

some of the games wasnt even compatible in windows95,you couldnt even play them i had to always go to DOS and start it from there.
    How is that wrong? Those links only re-enforce what I mentioned...that they did not come out until mid-95 days. Your quote makes it sound like you were running one back in the DOS days. That's what caught me...since it didn't come out until after Win95 was out.

I quote "the first Voodoo Graphics cards came at the beginning of August 1996 on the market"

And I mentioned it was a separate video card..that only kicked in with DX and glide based games. That was also re-enforced by your link...

I quote "The Voodoo 1, as the Voodoo Graphics would be later known, was notable for its lack of an onboard VGA controller. This meant a Voodoo equipped PC still required a separate VGA graphics card, meaning it was very expensive to have both 3D and 2D acceleration, and the user lost an extra slot. The Voodoo 1 occupied a separate PCI slot and only kicked in when the host PC ran a 3D game that had been programmed to use the Voodoo. A passthrough VGA cable daisy-chained the VGA card to the Voodoo 1, and then out to the monitor. Although this was a cumbersome arrangement that hurt the analog signal quality of the separate 2D card, hardcore PC gamers were willing to put up with it to gain what was (then) the ultimate in 3D graphics."

I purchased the first generation Voodoo the very first month it came out from 3Dfx, their Monster 3D card..I probably still have it somewhere in a box. I know it did run under DOS...as I bought it to run GLQuake. And I later ran a pair of 12 meg Voodoo2 cards in SLI. And a I had a Rush card after that (but not for long..it sucked) But you quoted it as your sole video card...there must have been another one there as your primary VGA.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

TI 99 4A - I was the man at Parsec.

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

SG Enthusiast
    Atari 800xl
    Looking for work............

Stop being gay, voodoo is dead, let it RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Atari 800xl
    nice!

a friend had one of the 1600xl's back in the day. Man, the graphics on that thing were KICK ASS. BallBlazer FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster
    Stop being gay, voodoo is dead, let it RIP.

Voodoo is not dead! I still have a box running a Voodoo 4 4500!

I guess my answer depends on what is considered a "computer."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Atari 800xl
    Man, I loved that little bugger. Had some great games/software that rivaled the arcade titles (ie Pac-Man was actually Pac-Man, not the ripoff that was on the Atari 2600). I think I still have the 300 baud modem for that around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Atari 800xl
    I purchased the first generation Voodoo the very first month it came out from 3Dfx, their Monster 3D card..I probably still have it somewhere in a box. I know it did run under DOS...as I bought it to run GLQuake. And I later ran a pair of 12 meg Voodoo2 cards in SLI. And a I had a Rush card after that (but not for long..it sucked) But you quoted it as your sole video card...there must have been another one there as your primary VGA.[/QUOTE]
    Man, nothing beat having dual Voodoo2's at that time. Being able to run games at the insanely high resolution (at the time) of 1024x768 pushed PC gaming graphics far beyond the pixellated mess that Playstation was offering at the time. I do recall spending around ~$600 for a pair of 12MB cards when they came out.

Radio Shack TRS-80, monochrome POS.. Zaxxon was the only game I could get to work correctly. The rest of the games I tried spending hours copying the BASIC code out of a "TRS-80 Games" book, but you had to do so much debugging I never had the patience to get a single game working correctly.

First real PC used for gaming was a custom built 486DX2 66MHz, 8MB RAM, 720MB HD, 2MB Trident graphics, SoundBlaster 16.

Speaking of old graphics cards, anyone remember the Canopus Pure 3d set? Man, Quake II looked gorgeous on 12MB of Canopus goodness.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

I remember my Tandy 1000SX... not sure if I had games for it.

Oregon Trail, baby!!!

486DX33, 8 meg ram, 200 meg hard drive, 28.8k modem with 2meg graphics card. LAN parties were on coax ethernet. It played Doom well. I recall the dial up lagged so bad on quake servers. Ping times were always in the 3 and 500s.

Farmers telephone company in South Carolina was more then shottie... If there was rain of any kind, you lost your connection. The phone lines comming to my house where under ground (no poles anywhere). This was old copper lines that were wrapped with paper inside a layer of cotten with plastic cladding. This was, 1992 to 95 time frame. I was so glad when I moved.
    USAF RETIRED

RIP PoppaTom
    Wow, it seems like a lot of you guys got a much earlier start than me

P3 1.6 Ghz, 128mg RAM, 18gig HD, win2000
    Formerly Neil King, grandson of PoppaTom

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    How is that wrong? Those links only re-enforce what I mentioned...that they did not come out until mid-95 days. Your quote makes it sound like you were running one back in the DOS days. That's what caught me...since it didn't come out until after Win95 was out.

I quote "the first Voodoo Graphics cards came at the beginning of August 1996 on the market"

And I mentioned it was a separate video card..that only kicked in with DX and glide based games. That was also re-enforced by your link...

I quote "The Voodoo 1, as the Voodoo Graphics would be later known, was notable for its lack of an onboard VGA controller. This meant a Voodoo equipped PC still required a separate VGA graphics card, meaning it was very expensive to have both 3D and 2D acceleration, and the user lost an extra slot. The Voodoo 1 occupied a separate PCI slot and only kicked in when the host PC ran a 3D game that had been programmed to use the Voodoo. A passthrough VGA cable daisy-chained the VGA card to the Voodoo 1, and then out to the monitor. Although this was a cumbersome arrangement that hurt the analog signal quality of the separate 2D card, hardcore PC gamers were willing to put up with it to gain what was (then) the ultimate in 3D graphics."

I purchased the first generation Voodoo the very first month it came out from 3Dfx, their Monster 3D card..I probably still have it somewhere in a box. I know it did run under DOS...as I bought it to run GLQuake. And I later ran a pair of 12 meg Voodoo2 cards in SLI. And a I had a Rush card after that (but not for long..it sucked) But you quoted it as your sole video card...there must have been another one there as your primary VGA.
    ops sorry the card was from 3dfx first generation voodoo lol,my apologies and yes it was the first one,but hell i dont remember windows95 at that time i think (i'm not saying you are wrong and i'm right) they came right after or before 486 DX2/66mhz or was it 386 dx2/66 i really dont remember.it was soooo long time ago.then i was waiting quite a few years before i bought next one and it was voodoo their last card i think,it had 64mb ram.Dont remember who bought them or they went bankrupcy?I still remember when i was reading some PC magazine and the authors were arguing if intel will be able break up 133 mhz barrier (it was the time of DX5 133mhz?) now it sounds so funny.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

What was your first "gaming" computer?

-Intel Pentium w/ 90 MHz
    -TNT video card, 8 mb ram or something
    -dunno how much hd space
    -16 mb ram? kind of guessing here

Was totally awesome when we first got it.
    You played the Song of Storms!

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster
    I don't mean the first computer specifically meant for gaming. Just the first computer you had that got you started on computer games. (not console).

I had two. The ibm 286 tower with games like Kings Quest, Chessmaster, and Gold Rush. That was my dads. I had a pc jr with the cartridge loaded games.
    Commodore 64 ruled!!

First actual gaming rig was an Apple II+, way back in the day. Stayed with Macs for years. First serious PC gaming rig for personal use was a 400mhz some-odd with 128 megs of RAM and bought my first 3-D card, a 3DFX Voodoo3. Boy, I thought that was the shznit back then.

Quote Originally Posted by beze
    First actual gaming rig was an Apple II+, way back in the day. Stayed with Macs for years. First serious PC gaming rig for personal use was a 400mhz some-odd with 128 megs of RAM and bought my first 3-D card, a 3DFX Voodoo3. Boy, I thought that was the shznit back then.
    Man, voodoo was the day. I still have a voodoo 5 5500 pci card. Got it for $10. It was a backup in case I had to reflash my video card bios.

My first real "gaming" PC was a P2 400Mhz,running with a Voodoo 2 and an S3 Vid card. It had 128MB of RAM and an 8gig HDD.

My first games however, were played on a 486DX2 system, 32 megs of ram, local bus ISA video and a 1gig hard drive.

Radio Shack TRS80. Circa 1980