Thread: DSL speed upgrade problems.

DSL speed upgrade problems.

Hello everyone I'm pretty new to this forum... my first day actually. So hello.

OK I'm having some very inconsistant speeds with my new dsl. I recently upgraded from DSL tier 1 (1.5 meg) to dsl ultra (3meg) then right to 6 meg. After the upgrade I got speeds of up to 505 kbs on some downloads. Then right after I noted those speeds I started getting speeds of 20 kbs for downloads.

I'm running three machines through a netgear (lynksys) router. All three of us use bitcomment to download files from time to time. Seems if two or more of us are using bit commet at the same time the downloads on each machine range from 4kbs-60kbs but, usually fairly slow.

When only one of us runs it sometimes speeds are good on all three machines sometimes bad on all three machines. Right now one machine is running bitcomt and this one is only browsing. But, pages are loading extremely slow for me.

I thought maybe bitcomet or some other program on one of the machines might be causing the problem. So I wired my pc directly to my modem and used a speed test link provided to me by my isp.

Speeds ran from 4545 all the way down to 2984'ish My ISP said that 3900 was less then 65% of my total speed and that there was no problem that they could see on thier side.

So for now it seems there are two basic problems

#1 Inconsistant speeds jumping to less then 60% of my total

#2 Never getting more then 4545 I'm not that great with numbers, but, if 3900 is less then 65% then 4545 (my max speed so far) should be around 70'ish%

Forgive the long winded post, but, is there anything you can suggest to help me out a little bit?

Thanks alot
    Zen.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenlike
    Hello everyone I'm pretty new to this forum... my first day actually. So hello.

OK I'm having some very inconsistant speeds with my new dsl. I recently upgraded from DSL tier 1 (1.5 meg) to dsl ultra (3meg) then right to 6 meg. After the upgrade I got speeds of up to 505 kbs on some downloads. Then right after I noted those speeds I started getting speeds of 20 kbs for downloads.

I'm running three machines through a netgear (lynksys) router. All three of us use bitcomment to download files from time to time. Seems if two or more of us are using bit commet at the same time the downloads on each machine range from 4kbs-60kbs but, usually fairly slow.

When only one of us runs it sometimes speeds are good on all three machines sometimes bad on all three machines. Right now one machine is running bitcomt and this one is only browsing. But, pages are loading extremely slow for me.

I thought maybe bitcomet or some other program on one of the machines might be causing the problem. So I wired my pc directly to my modem and used a speed test link provided to me by my isp.

Speeds ran from 4545 all the way down to 2984'ish My ISP said that 3900 was less then 65% of my total speed and that there was no problem that they could see on thier side.

So for now it seems there are two basic problems

#1 Inconsistant speeds jumping to less then 60% of my total

#2 Never getting more then 4545 I'm not that great with numbers, but, if 3900 is less then 65% then 4545 (my max speed so far) should be around 70'ish%

Forgive the long winded post, but, is there anything you can suggest to help me out a little bit?

Thanks alot
    Zen.

how far do you live from central office ? Is the phone wirring in good condiation at the house? Is the firlters installed on every phone on the same phone number of the dsl especially cordless ones?
    Comptia a+ n+