Thread: more bad luck

more bad luck

true to form, I started my new job last week and of course something bad had to happen last week.

My #1 rig puked friday night, leaving me w/ a P3 box and a 5 Gb hdd that doesn't have enough free space to install my apps. Strictly a folding rig.

Worse yet, I'm working on machines w/ a CNC controller I've never seen before- and to top it off, according to several machinist forums, the control is billed as 'the most user-unfriendly control on the market"

So on fri my employer gives me a DVD w/ the CNC software in an app that runs on a pc. I get home and find my rig dead.

So I run out sat and buy a new combo... but it's defective! of course I bought it off of the clearance shelf, so all I can do is exchange it, which will wait until sat now since I'm broke. Argh!!!

And my rig that just puked... I bought it off someone here at SG. Advertised as a 2.2 Ghz P4... I get it and it turns out to be a 1.8 Ghz P4 (earlier model cpu) that had been o/c'd. I wanted to return it since it was not what it was advertised as, and mostly because it was o/c'd. I also could not get it to run at 2.2 Ghz... But the seller insisited that I had to pay all shipping costs, and insisted on me shipping it back by the service that would cost me another $25. Blackmailed into keeping the piece of crap. So I got less than 2 months of service out of the box.

I am very happy today. The loss of the box couldn't have come at a better time, and it made my holiday weekend just swell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

cheers

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    cheers
    LMAO

Sorry to hear that ghetto. That does suck. Hopefully it will all smooth out for you and your new job will kick ass

That said, if you have time please PM who you bought the oc'ed rig off of, as there's no way in hell I'd ever want to buy something off him. Hell, post it here if you like, I just figured you didn't mention it in the first place on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt
    Sorry to hear that ghetto. That does suck. Hopefully it will all smooth out for you and your new job will kick ass

That said, if you have time please PM who you bought the oc'ed rig off of, as there's no way in hell I'd ever want to buy something off him. Hell, post it here if you like, I just figured you didn't mention it in the first place on purpose.
    yeah, he is right, a good tood > *

time and good tood = $, I know. Chin up as Brits would say. G-d bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt

Thanks. I'm making some progress w/ the controls at work. LOL, for example, the stupid thing is set up so that you can get into various menus from the soft keys by the monitor, but then you can't exit those menus from the soft keys, gotta use the keypad on the controller to exit. Go figure, german engineering.

I phoned the store (Micro Center) and I can only exchange it since it was a clearance item. I'll head there first thing sat am. I also have a Tiger Direct within a days travel on public trans. There was only 1 more of these combos there, and I don't see any deals on their site this month.

Biostar P4M80M7A w/ cele 346. I have no video. I confirmed my DDR RAM is good, and tried a bud's DDR in it. Tried it on test bench and in the case. Tried onboard vid, 2 agp cards, a pci card, and 2 different monitors even, lol- nada.

The thing that burns me up on the new combo is it has a "tested good 6-30-2006" tag on it. I'll never shop Micro Center again.

yes, I didn't mention a name deliberately. I had posted in the honest traders forum (and I think I was pretty darn fair to the person originally, in fact, I was too nice about it). That was replied to by a bunch of name calling and a ton of bs. Pretty clear the intent was to distract from the real issue. I went into ignore mode on that thread since I was absolutely disgusted. His own words gave more reasons to not buy from him.

I'm glad you asked about the seller, it's been pissing me off the past few days.

honest trader

Check out this other sale thread by that member too, and how MissTynker was talked to. And get a load of his intended insult to me...

NOTE : I'M NOT SELLING TO NEW MEMBERS must be 3+ years old member.Members 3 years and younger will be ignored.
    thats one reason and 2nd reason is ghettoside,i shouldnt get my hands dirty dealing with that person
    Well I'd been a member more than 3 years so I dunno what the point really was

Better yet, check out this harware forum posting made hours prior to the sale thread I just linked to. What do we have there? Spilled liquid on RAM sticks which then immediately went up for sale here at SG.

ok everything installed,i turned on computer and i didnt see i cut hole by accident in hose for my water cooling.So whole socket and cpu got flooded.Tryed cpu in older mobo,it turns on after 10 seconds it automatically turns off.No beeps.Dryed everything with fan for hair and napkins but seems like i just killed my cpu.Bummer ....
    its working
    i was lucky,i have no idea how the mobo and cpu survived because it was completely flooder with water.
    It's funny how I'm the one who got screwed on the mobo and disrespected (and w/ BS to boot!), yet the seller makes me out to be the bad guy.

I could've answered every sentence in those replies w/ the truth (in honest traders), but I was, and am, simply too disgusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    yeah, he is right, a good tood > *

time and good tood = $, I know. Chin up as Brits would say. G-d bless.
    Thanks Lefty.