Thread: Connection problems?

Connection problems?

Hi, I have 2 router/adsl modem combos, one is upstairs and is 100% configured and is good to go. That's wired to a PC next to it, and this PC is connected to it through a wireless connection. I got the same router/modem here, which is wired directly to this PC. Problem is, when this one connects to my ISP (PPPoA connection), it'll kick the other router upstairs off. And even with it connected and the wireless network and other router off, I can't use the internet from this PC. How would I configure this router to "jump on" the connection and just use it without logging in, and also, how would I get the connection to work?

Edit: A crappy diagram of the setup...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You probably only have a single account with your ISP. So it leases 1x IP address, at a time.

Based on your diagram, what you'd want..is a single router...probably located at your main RJ-11 jack. Run ethernet cable to your PC locations.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I can't actually do that though.

What I wanted to do was get the second router to use the connection ad hoc, without logging in.

There is 0 possibility of running an ethernet cable to the other router, unless you drill a hole through the ceiling, or run the cable through the window and outside of the house.

Really, forget all capability of routing these have, they're only used as modems in any case.

Why not a wireless router?

It looks liek both routers are going into an outlet, so both are trying to steal each others connection.

Do you have an attic, with 2 people you can run the wire up the wall, maybe.

I can't actually do that, period. Wireless connection sucks to the limit. I get kicked off ever 20mins or so, and sometimes the thing malfunctions and such. No, I'm not going to take wireless any more.

What I really want to do is have different settings on either router. I don't actually mind that one kicks the other off, but if there's a way to get it to "jump on" to the existing connection made by the primary router, I'd love to see it. I remember there being a way to do something similiar to this with 56K, but that was 10 years back.

Really, how do I get Firefox/whatever to send data through this (secondary) router? Or change the order that Windows sends data through connections (I've already tried changing advanced settings from the network connections folder in control panel, to no avail). Basically, the router is connected to the internet, but my PC just gives a timeout error as if I was offline (no, it is NOT a real timeout.)

Sorry man, I have no clue how to do what you want, good luck though.

PCs are the most problematic things I've ever layed my fingers on.

Quote Originally Posted by agreed
    PCs are the most problematic things I've ever layed my fingers on.

Want my car?, it'll make your PC trouble a breeze!