Thread: Microsoft Internet Connection "Gateway" Icon

Microsoft Internet Connection "Gateway" Icon

Hey there,

I'm running a wireless network with a 54mbps Router. My internet connection with the ISP runs at around 3.5Mbps.

The problem I seem to have, is that the Microsoft Internet Connection Icon "Internet Gateway" appears to report my connection as being 2.5mbps - yet my wireless connection reported by my 3com wireless adaptor is 54mpbs. The connection seems slow, so I'm wondering whether the microsoft connection sharing "gateway" is regulating the speed. I understand my wireless connection is far faster than my actual internet connection wth the ISP, however I'm not sure why windows reports it as 2.5 when my ISP connection is actually 3.5. As far as I'm aware the system would not be able to tell the actual speed with the ISP as the hardware gateway sorts all this out (logs in etc).

Does anyone know where the system is getting its connection speeds from?

I don't recall ever noticing a microsoft "software" gateway within my network config area before - what has caused this to appear? - Can I bypass this?

Thanks for your help

Richard (NZ)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    That's just the UPnP feature of the router being picked up by the UPnP service of your workstation.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

So does this mean the UPnP feature of the router is communicating a speed of 2.5mbps connection with the ISP? ie my connecton speed really is 2.5mpbs?

i am having same trouble but my gateway speed is reading 100.0bps,i need some help too,so slooooowwwwww

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakinnz
    So does this mean the UPnP feature of the router is communicating a speed of 2.5mbps connection with the ISP? ie my connecton speed really is 2.5mpbs?
    I don't know exactly how it picks it up and determines that. When I first noticed that..I used to think it was the speed of the WAN connection of the router. But my current router disproves that...I have an RV082, it has 10/100 WAN ports, yet my internet connection status shows 10 megs. Measuring online speed since they came out with Powerboost is difficult, as I've bursted well past 60 megs.

I'd not use this to figure my internet connection speed...stick with several different online tests.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!