Thread: Plextor 716A DVD burner

Plextor 716A DVD burner

My trusty Plextor seems to be giving me some serious trouble ! Up until a few weeks ago, it burned any type of DVD-R I could throw at it, but I usually used TDK DVD-R's for the important stuff. I got half way through a 50 pack of Fuji DVD-R's and after making about five coasters I figured I got a bunch of bad disks. When I went back to my trusty TDK DVD-R disks, it would burn them either ! DVD Shrink shows it as being complete but when I put it in two different DVD home players it says wrong disk. Same for burning movies or home video with Roxio 8 and/or Nero 7. To make matters worse, it WILL burn the cheap Nexxtech disks from Circuit City and the crappy generic ones from CompUSA. It also burns and reads DVD/R-W's just fine. I do have the latest firmware installed too. No new software installs either.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this something like this or what would you folks try ?

"We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

no idea what would i do,i have exactly same burner
    i would try RMA it and if its not possible throw it in garbage and buy new one.
    But like first i would reinstall windows/drivers or even easyest way take him out and test him on different computer.If the results are same its propably bad.
    Maybe someone else will come with more intel .
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

maybe check here to see what you can find

Good link on the forum !

I am going to try the dianostics and if that doesn't find anything I'm going to swap it out with a Lite-on I have in a different computer and try to burn the same file that didn't work with the Plextor.

It so odd thoght that it burns poor quality DVD's and not good quality ones, and burns CD's fine. I would normally think software problem but haven't changed anything.

I'll update this when I get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again !

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

I have the same one also....lemme know what happens for future reference ..
    Offensive

Well at this point I think it's time to try and get a replacement from Plextor. I ran the self-diagnostics and the didn't get any of the blinking light codes noted. I got one blinking light on-off over and over, which according to the code sheet says it's not used. I installed my old Lite-on 411S and it burned the DVD fine. I'm at a loss why the Plextor would burn some DVD's and some it wouldn't. I thought it either would burn or wouldn't but that's obviously not the case.