Thread: Ubuntu has a nice printer setup

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ubuntu has a nice printer setup

Setting up my Canon 520 printer was wicked easy in Ubuntu 6.06 LTS..
    Even if the printer is on a Windows 98 computer.
    Very nice!

I wish I had the same luck with FC5. I got my HP Laserjet to work just fine, but I still can not get my brother all in one to work at all. And that is my color printer. I have unistalled and reinstalled the drivers 3 times now and everytime I try to print a test through the CUPS 1.2.1 page, I get a CUPS backend failure error.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burple
    I wish I had the same luck with FC5. I got my HP Laserjet to work just fine, but I still can not get my brother all in one to work at all. And that is my color printer. I have unistalled and reinstalled the drivers 3 times now and everytime I try to print a test through the CUPS 1.2.1 page, I get a CUPS backend failure error.
    Have you tried Ubuntu yet? I still use Mandriva (Mandrake) still too.. but I been using Ubuntu a lot more.

No I have not. I have been considering trying it though. But I heard the new release is kinda buggy. I have used Mandrake(before Mandriva),SUSE,gentoo and FC. I tried FC from the first ever Beta release. Did not care much for it then. Was a bit unstable. But I went back after FC3 release and stayed with FC on my main pc. But with all this recent talk of Ubuntu, I may have to give it a try.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burple
    No I have not. I have been considering trying it though. But I heard the new release is kinda buggy. I have used Mandrake(before Mandriva),SUSE,gentoo and FC. I tried FC from the first ever Beta release. Did not care much for it then. Was a bit unstable. But I went back after FC3 release and stayed with FC on my main pc. But with all this recent talk of Ubuntu, I may have to give it a try.
    The first time I tried Red Hat was before FC.. Red Hat 5.2 ...
    I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS without any problems so far. I installed the Xubuntu also cause I like the xfce window manager too.
    I write and record a lot of music on my computer here at home. TonyT, a member here on SpeedGuide recommended the program Audacity for editing .wav files on Windows. I was happy to discover that Ubuntu has a port of this program as well (i think cause it is open source). It is a great program to lay down music tracks too