Thread: Garbled sounds, music and movies unplayable...

Garbled sounds, music and movies unplayable...

I got this Pentium 4 HP system from work for free, and well I know why it was free cuz it's junk...

It's a P4 1.5Ghz, 384mb Rambus memory....has PCI sound card, PCI video card, and a TV Tuner card, plus PCI NIC.

Did a fresh install of XP on it, everything on the computer works great, pretty responsive, except for the sound....movies lag, plus the sound is just really garbled and static-y...when listening to music on a MySpace page for example, the music plays, but once you scroll down or move the mouse, the sound becomes garbled and static-y....

I tried a different sound card, it does teh same thing...one was a Creative SB and the other was a CMedia chipset....I tried changing PCI slots all different combinations, disabling DMA, and it still does it....

so based on that, the motherboard is probably the culprit, but I don't get why everything else works smoothly. Any ideas I could try or should I just use the computer for something that doesn't require sound of any kind....

Hey nice to see your still around!

What chipset does it have. Have you tried the newest (ok that's a strech) drivers for it?

Put it to windows classic theme as well, then disable themes and a bunch of other services you dont need, turn off system restore.

A 1.5 P4 is damn slow by todays standards, but it should still be able to handle mp3s fine.

yea my 550mhz k6-2 has XP on it, with the regular Luna theme and it plays movies and mp3's fine....so something is screwed with the computer, which sucks since everything else about computer is good...no conflicts in device manager, I disabled all unneeded ports in BIOS. I don't think I turned off system restore though....I will have to double check that and maybe try safe mode see if sound works.

I don't know the exact chipset...(the computer is at a friends house, i gave it to him to use) but it uses the Intel INF chipset drivers, which I installed the newest ones.

thanks for help.

Is there any CPU cooling software running? I ran into this problem running VCOOL on an Athlon and with the wrong options unchecked, it garbled the sound.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

thanks bigmo, but there's no CPU cooling software installed.

i'm going to try and take out the old memory, maybe the memory is bad or something...have to run memtest and see if anything comes up....

Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99
    yea my 550mhz k6-2 has XP on it, with the regular Luna theme and it plays movies and mp3's fine....so something is screwed with the computer, which sucks since everything else about computer is good...no conflicts in device manager, I disabled all unneeded ports in BIOS. I don't think I turned off system restore though....I will have to double check that and maybe try safe mode see if sound works.

I don't know the exact chipset...(the computer is at a friends house, i gave it to him to use) but it uses the Intel INF chipset drivers, which I installed the newest ones.

thanks for help.
    I can play saved videos/music fine too on my kids pc. But can you stream video fine with that k6-2? My kids k6-2 500 can not stream worth a crap. Video is very laggy.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.