Thread: Is it time to say goodbye to my router?

Question Is it time to say goodbye to my router?

My trusty old Gnet 1008 7 port router has never given me trouble and as a matter of fact, still works flawlessly to this day. But, I've been trying to hook up uTorrent and am starting to notice that the router stops working - freezing up and disconnecting - when I try to log into it in order to work with the virtual port settings.

Never had this problem before.

I reset the router to factory defaults but still had the same problem. Unplugged all my computer but the one and still no go.

Pulled out my notebook computer and I can finally get it - barely.

PC SYSTEM(Cannot log it, even with only the xp firewall on or off):

xp 64
    Built in Generic Marvel Yukon Chipset based Ethernet Controller

Configuration:
    802.1p - off
    FlowControl - On
    Hardware Checksumming - On
    Interrup Moderation - On
    Jumbo Frames - Off
    Log Status Manager - Status Messages
    Max IRQ per Sec - 5000
    Network Address - Not Present
    Nuber of Receive Buffers - 256
    Number of Transmit Buffers - 256
    Preferred Port - A
    RLMT Mode - CLS

Connection type - not that I think it would matter but it's a DSL Ultra High speed connection.

Not sure what else I can provide other than a 25ft Cat5e cable being used.
    got old

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    P2P software puts a tremendous load on routers. Stems from all the concurrent connections...older routers, and most home grade routers today...don't have the CPU and memory to handle those loads. Memory is the biggest thing.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Even for just logging into the router?. I suppose the system I have may be overwhelming the router since it's based on a 64bit system with an Intel 955EE and 4 gigs of ram.

Any suggestions on a good quality router?
    got old

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Think
    I suppose the system I have may be overwhelming the router since it's based on a 64bit system with an Intel 955EE and 4 gigs of ram.

It's not that....a single computer won't even bog down the cheapest of routers. It's the way peer to peer downloading clients are designed.....they connect to many MANY peers at the same time...especially torrents. A single file you seek..you're working pulling it from many different sources. By default people are also uploading from you. Your average home grade routers are designed for web surfing (light loads), e-mail, gaming, etc. All basically light loads that each PC can put on.

I hesitate to recommend specific routers for this...as there are many other factors. But if you step into more SOHO grade routers (entry level business)..you tend to get more horsepower. And some of todays newer Airgo MIMO chipset based wireless routers too.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks but the problem was not the torrent. It was related to just logging into the router in the first place. I've removed the Dlink and put in my linksys and it's much quicker - instant log in to setup perameters.

I'll deal with uttorent on another day - time to go help the wife with gardening.

Anyone want a good deal on a old router?
    got old

really simple suggestion............

Hi,

Be sure that the MTU setting in the router is the same as it is in your computer. It's easy to find and set using TCP Optimizer in your computer; TCP Optimizer is available on this site. I have no clue how to do it on your router, but be sure they're the same.

DSL PPOE likes to see an MTU value of 1492 on the router whereas Cable Modem will handle 1500.

Just having a difference like that, 1492 on the router and 1500 on the computer, will slow the router down and make your computer hang on many ssl/https links.

HTH.

Cheers!