Thread: hosting game servers behind router

hosting game servers behind router

i posted my problem at computing.net but havent been given any extensive help quite yet. i wonder if you guys can help me. instead of rephrasing everything ill just copy and paste what was said in the other forum:

WAR_Nuker:
    this is completely boggling my mind. i have been on and off trying to research this for a long time and havent officially asked until now.
    i just got a linksys wireless-g router. my modem is connected to the router, and my pc is getting the internet signal via the wireless-g usb adapter. i got the stuff to work in about 45 mins maybe. however, i was anticipating on having problems on hosting internet game servers based on what i have read....and thats exactly what happened.

i didnt have this problem yesterday (before the router was installed). after i installed the router and everything i set my modem to dmz and the linksys router to dmz and that doesnt work....i host a game and the network ip gets used instead of the internet ip being used...so no one can join my game.

i know it isnt wise to use dmz. i was planning on getting more educated on this stuff and when i get everything to work....ill back off and only open certain ports for the router. i read other threads on this site but for me understanding networking isnt one of my strengths quite yet.

i only have one computer on my network so far. my main goal is to have maybe 2 or 3 computers on my network....and to give them all the ability to host games that the other network pcs as well as people from the internet can join. similarly....i would like them to all have the ability to join the same online game server. thing is, i dont even know if this is all possible.

for now id just like this pc to have the ability to host game servers as well as host them behind this wireless router. if anyone could be so nice as to walk me through this i would really appreciate it. router model number is WRT54G

Miller:
    Go to your router setup and then applications/gaming. Then look for something called DMZ. Enter the computer's IP that will be hosting (ususally 192.168.1.x (whatever it is)) and then save the settings.
    If you know how to use port forwarding on the router, look up the ports required for the game and open them up.

You're having a little clash with the hardware firewall built into the router.

WAR_Nuker:
    yeah i tried this already but it didnt work...maybe i didnt mess around with it enough. ill try to restart and reconnect while on dmz and see what happens. as for now, for some reason i cant connect to the internet now that i have dmz on the router. it probably has something to do with a setting i changed while i tried messing with the network ips. i will work on this later and give you more info.

Tony:
    Try using UPnP so that the game will open the ports that it needs on it's own.

WAR_Nuker:
    nope upnp is enabled....dmz on router and modem enabled and still nothing. i really dont know what im doing wrong...

WAR_Nuker:
    sorry for double post but let me give you more info on whats going on. i told you everything is on dmz and upnp is enabled.
    that being said...im going to whatismyip.com well say my ip is 68.23.36.207 (though it really isnt). i use a 2wire modem so i type homeportal in browser. it says im running on dmz and my ip is 68.23.36.207.

the ip for my router is currently set to 192.168.0.1 so i type that in my IE browser. i log in using admin as my password. it gives me the basic setup menu for my linksys router. it says its using dhcp. there are several rows of ips. heres what the important stuff says.

local ip address: 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

dhcp server - enabled
    starting ip address: 192.168.0.10 (only the last number can be changed)
    static dns1: 0.0.0.0
    static dns2: 0.0.0.0
    static dns3: 0.0.0.0
    wins: 0.0.0.0

now i go to applications and gaming tab and then the dmz tab. dmz is enabled for 192.168.0.10

now i go to status tab. it says the following info that looks important.

domain name: gateway.2wire.net

login type: automatic configuration - dhcp
    ip address: 68.23.36.207
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.240
    default gateway: 68.23.36.206 (i notice last number is 1 less than the ip address)
    dns 1: 172.16.0.1
    dns 2:
    dns 3:

none of the fields in the status tab are changable. also, subnet mask and default gateway are both highlighted in white for some reason. hope that makes this easier.

-end

if you guys could help me i would really appreciate it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    First...running a game server over wireless... Home grade wireless is not designed for heavy loads. Even if you get the network setup correctly...your weak point will still be wireless. Increased latency, increased CPU utilization, just...not meant for servers of any type. Game servers..you want hard wired.

Second..you mention "2Wire"...I'm guessing you're on SNET/SBC-Yahoo DSL. I work with a lot of these..unfortunately (I can't stand them if you can't tell). All of the models I've seen are already running as routers..it's a gateway device..a combination of modem and router (and access point depending on the model).

So we want to find out exactly which model 2Wire you have...and see what mode it's running in.

If it's already running as router..and you add another router...you'll be double NAT'ing...not the ideal situation.

Couple of things with NAT routers..assuming you're past the point of making sure you're not double NAT'ing. DMZ..you are putting the IP address of 1x computer from your network..in the DMZ. This bypasses the NAT blocking of the 65,000 plus ports. That's not a good idea..within seconds your machine is getting hit with bad guys. It's not a matter of "if" your machine will be infected..it's "when". You don't DMZ your router or your modem..you only DMZ LAN devices..which are your PCs in this case.

Once it's established that you're only running a single router..a single instance of NAT....here's a guide for running game servers behind a router.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

damn! well this wireless router comes with ethernet ports for the option of hardwiring so no big....thanks for notifying me though.

ok...this 2wire here ive had for almost 2 years....says homeportal 1000HW. yeah i used to have the little usb wireless pc port thing to hook up a second computer to the net....it was terrible and now doesnt even work anymore....but the 2wire modem still works. however, after my pc port completely screwing me over i dont utilize the routing ability anymore. ive become pretty familiar with it. i had no idea dmz was so bad....ive been running the 2wire modem on dmz for maybe....a year now and no problems....but like you said its a matter of when. but anywho, i guess you could say my 2wire modem is running like an ordinary modem...no routing/firewall enabled or anything like that.

i had two reasons to go with dmz on my 2 wire modem. 1 being because my AIM kept turning on and off and the other so i could host online games. i messed around with opening ports and that worked for the games....but the AIM problem persisted...even after i opened the port for AIM. trust me it might not sound like much of a serious problem but after constant interruptions it can really piss you off. ill try messing with it again though and see if i can solve the problem this time around.

im a newbie with routers...this is my first official one. i set it to dmz when i connected wireless, which means both the 2wire modem as well as my router are set to dmz. i thought this would open everything up so i could see if everything would work concerning my hosting game servers even being behind a router....but i hosted a Half Life multiplayer game and when the server was created it used my network IP for whatever reason...even though both devices were set to dmz. if the game would have hosted with my internet IP (i was really hoping setting both devices on DMZ would work) i would have THEN enabled NAT for my router and opened up only certain ports for games.

so yeah to conclude....i was planning on running my modem and router on dmz first....after i could host a game with my internet address i would set my router from dmz to NAT and only opened up the correct ports for the game. (damn my head hurts).

anyways if im hearing correctly i shouldnt be double NATing....but wouldnt that require me putting either my modem or router (preferably my modem) on DMZ?

dmz my pc....this is what i want to do? im not sure how that is done but then again i havent read the linked article yet. thank you so much for your help im going to read that article shortly.

update: i changed to a different modem that doesnt have a built in router or anything like that. just strictly a modem. its older and uses "PPPoE". at first i just had the modem hooked up. i started a game server but the ip it was hosting with was like 169.254.XX.XX. i googled it (something to do with APIPA) and figured out i had to go to regedit and add a dword called AutoConfigurationEnabled and set it to 0 to turn APIPA off. that fixed that problem so i could host a game with my internet ip....got some people to join too. note that this is just with the modem and not the router at this point. i got some help from SBC with getting this modem to work and get me online (i messed somethin up when i was configuring the homeportal settings the other day and couldnt get back on the internet...so this is the point where i just gave my 2wire the finger and took out my older, more reliable modem) and then getting it to work on the linksys router. also hooked up another computer for experiments sake and that works...so now theres a second computer on the network.

i opened up certain ports and at least got my game server visible on the internet server list for a time...but i kept messing with everything and now it doesnt seem to be visible anymore when i try hosting. at this point im not even interested in getting this to work for all computers....just this one.

just something to take note of. i tried hosting a game for a different game altogether. its older and is one of the first games to feature online multiplay. i turned on dmz for my (host) computer (got lazy and didnt want to figure out what port it uses). i joined the game with my other computer. you join by typing the IP in a little box and then it finds the game. i typed in my internet IP and joined. the result was a very laggy game. i quit and rejoined using the hosts network IP and the game was super fast. at least i feel like im getting close to getting this right. also, direct IM and file sharing for AOL instant messager doesnt work at the moment. didnt work with dmz on either.

here are some screens of stuff i have so far. im only giving you the ones that may be important. maybe you can point out any flaws or settings that need to be changed.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/692/untitled10bs.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6...titled20xf.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5...titled39da.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1...titled44fi.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/222/untitled56fw.jpg
    http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8...titled65px.jpg

also, i created an in-game server (non dedicated) and took screens of that. note that i can only find my game server by typing in my network IP in the add favorites menu. the problem at hand is no one on the internet can see it.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...titled78og.jpg
    http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2...titled89fn.jpg

another thing, when i make a dedicated server it uses my network ip. it normally displays the internet ip there. it did that before i had this router in.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7...itled94so1.jpg

yesterday my network ip was displayed there, but for a time, like i said, i was able to see the server in the search query whether dedicated or not. not sure what i changed but i cant do that anymore.

Edit: i did some more testing. if i make a dedicated server people can only join if they input the internet ip address of the server into their favorites. the problem still stands that the server isnt visible on the server list. i cant seem to join my own dedicated server, either (i used to be able to do this).
    Last edited by WAR_Nuker; 05-30-06 at 11:32 AM.

to whom it may concern - all my problems were solved by simply upgrading the firmware for my router. its also important to download the correct version of the firmware that suits you (if your router is a version 5 get the upgrade for version 5) or else the upgrade will not work. contacting the manufacturer for tech support is also a plus. thank you all for your help again.

Exclamation can't host game servers behind router

Hi,
    I also have a similar prob.When I host games behind my router in CS-Source running in dedicated mode,it appears in the LAN games tab even though I set it to internet NOT lan connection.What's up with that?

This also happens when I try to host any type of game server on my PC.I'm trying dedicated and still have this prob.what gives?

The router I'm behind is a Netgear Rangemax router and my wireless link runs at 108MBPS.

I've opened all the ports in my firewall program on my PC.It's Norton internet security 2005.

can someone plz list all the ports I need to open for the following games:UT GOTY,UT2004 and CS-Source?

ok guys i am having trobble with some ip tecnical problems i am trying to run some TS Servers but i have 3 Ips when i run the Server log and i can only use on EG Global Ip: 66.56.44.77 44.556.443 201.555.333
    :66.56.44.77

how can i fix this when i go to zone alarm it shows all 3 ips i only need 1 ip to run this server :/ please email me at macka_96_@hotmail.com

Thanks

Exclamation omg!

wow, megaman!! i have exactly the same problem!!! (well sort of) i dont usually run dedicated servers but everytime i run a server people say that cant see or or cant join on every single game, iam running ona router at the min a wired one but i neva used to and even then i couldnt host servers i really wanan be able to so can anyone plz tell me what ports i need to open? or what i need to do? i thought it was just me wit this problem

Quote Originally Posted by jayjacko8 View Post
    wow, megaman!! i have exactly the same problem!!! (well sort of) i dont usually run dedicated servers but everytime i run a server people say that cant see or or cant join on every single game, iam running ona router at the min a wired one but i neva used to and even then i couldnt host servers i really wanan be able to so can anyone plz tell me what ports i need to open? or what i need to do? i thought it was just me wit this problem
    Have you opened/forwarded the ports necessary to host your game server?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Same problem, THIS IS IP TROUBLE, I REPEAT, IP Trouble, don' know exactly what, but it is definitely IP problems.

I have been looking all over (Internet and Real-life) for networking experts, but haven't found one in my community

I have this problem with the following games
    Scorched3D (been working on almost 1/2year now).
    Aliens vs Predator 2 (working for 2-3 weeks)One difference: in AVP2, the server successfully launches once about every 100 tries.

I have forwarded all ports that have been assigned to the games, and completely removed ALL firewalls to no avail.

Here is all info I think is needed:
    Router: 11a/11b Dualband Wireless 108mbps Router (D-Link)
    Adapter: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    PLEASE HELP, THIS PROBLEM IS TURNING ME INTO A NERVOUS WRECK!
    Last edited by xStil; 03-09-08 at 10:02 PM.

Hi Xstil,

Your problem is proabably easy enough to fix, but I need a bit more detail on what exactly your error is...?

My problem is that the two games over there are using IPs from my LAN network rather than my internet IP (the IP seen in IP displaying websites) when making a server.. The weird thing is that Scorched3D has an option to select an IP, but whichever IP is seleted, the server cannot be joned by users outside my Local network.

And AVP 2 has no option like that at all. No error messages, just servers cannot be seen outside of the Local network. I STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS!!!

Latest firmware on the DLink router?
    What resources have you used to find out which ports need to be opened/forwarded for your two games?

What "modem" is your DLink plugged into?

This is a very old article..but the concept is still basically the same...
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177
    Most newer routers have a "Reservation" feature on their DHCP service..allowing you to assign an IP address to a DHCP client (your server)..so it will get the same IP all the time...making the port forwarding reliable.
    Guinness for Strength!!!