Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 94 of 94

Thread: XP Services?

  1. #81
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    Take a look at event viewer under system and let us know what errors it has logged. RT click my computer/manage/event viewer. Double click any red mark since this started and give us the number and the base event description.

    Black Viper is a website that tells you what each service does. Generally people try to turn off service to gain performance, but the gains are usually negligible at best. Most of the time it will break a system such as yours.

  2. #82
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Take a look at event viewer under system and let us know what errors it has logged. RT click my computer/manage/event viewer. Double click any red mark since this started and give us the number and the base event description.

    Black Viper is a website that tells you what each service does. Generally people try to turn off service to gain performance, but the gains are usually negligible at best. Most of the time it will break a system such as yours.
    I only have 2 errors and they are under System


    Event Type:
    Error
    Event Source: NtServicePack
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4374
    Date: 5/29/2006
    Time: 4:05:52 PM
    User: JET\Jane
    Computer: JET
    Description:
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation failed, leaving Windows XP partially updated.
    Service Pack 2 installation did not complete.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

  3. #83
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    Whats the other event? Does administrator have full permission on the dllcache folder?

  4. #84
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Whats the other event? Does administrator have full permission on the dllcache folder?
    Both are the same error. I guess its where i ran the sp2 cd twice. Where do i find out if administrator has full permission on the dllcache folder?

    Kevin

  5. #85
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    first open explorer tools and the go to folder options, dot the button that says show hidden files and folders. Remove the check marks from hide extensions and hide protected operating system files. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck simple file sharing.

    Goto \windows\system32\ and then rt click on the dllcache folder and select properties then security. Check that administrator has full control.

    RE-APPLY FOLDER OPTIONS!

  6. #86
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    first open explorer tools and the go to folder options, dot the button that says show hidden files and folders. Remove the check marks from hide extensions and hide protected operating system files. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck simple file sharing.

    Goto \windows\system32\ and then rt click on the dllcache folder and select properties then security. Check that administrator has full control.

    RE-APPLY FOLDER OPTIONS!
    These are the only options it gives me. I don't see a place that you can see if the administrator has full control?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

    [IMG][/IMG]

  7. #87
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    You have to uncheck simple file sharing in order to see the security tab. See my last post.

  8. #88
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    You have to uncheck simple file sharing in order to see the security tab. See my last post.


    Remove the check marks from hide extensions and hide protected operating system files. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck simple file sharing.






    I saw that but did not see simple file sharing to uncheck it. Where would it be? Here is the bottom..

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-31-06 at 08:32 PM.

  9. #89
    Senior Member ghettoside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    At Large in the US
    Posts
    5,134
    Are you ruinning home or pro version of xp?


    Simple File Sharing (SFS) is always enabled and cannot be disabled in Windows XP Home Edition. The below step-by-step instructions explain how to enable/disable SFS in Windows XP Professional
    link
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

    There are idiots everywhere.

    At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

  10. #90
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174

  11. #91
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    Are you ruinning home or pro version of xp?




    link
    I'm running xp home edition.......

  12. #92
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid

    Sid, You were right on the money with that liink. I was able to check the security but i'm going to post 3 things that was there and maybe you can tell me if all are suppose to be there. Also i'm not sure how much i'll be on the next few days. I have been at my Mom's bedside waiting for her to pass away. They told us tuesday she would not make it through the night and she is still hanging on. I don't think she will last another day. I just came home for a shower and a change of clothes and thought i would look at the post. I really want to Thank You and Ghetto for you 2 to keep on helping me and not give up on my issue. Thanks Guys..







  13. #93
    Member mandm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    78

    Unhappy Rpc Still Grayed Out

    Hi Guys,
    Has everyone given up on my post? Looks like it has a lot of people stumped. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. My mama did pass away on the 3rd and this is my first time back here. Its really been hard but i guess most have to go through it. I'm going to keep looking for an answer to my post myself and if i find one i'll post it. Never know when some other person like me will screw with RPC..
    Kevin..

  14. #94
    Senior Member ghettoside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    At Large in the US
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by mandm6
    Hi Guys,
    Has everyone given up on my post? Looks like it has a lot of people stumped. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. My mama did pass away on the 3rd and this is my first time back here. Its really been hard but i guess most have to go through it. I'm going to keep looking for an answer to my post myself and if i find one i'll post it. Never know when some other person like me will screw with RPC..
    Kevin..

    My condolences on the loss of your mama.

    I'm sorry I haven't been much help, a bit of trouble on the homefront lately. The past few weeks lol.

    Anyway, I just checked the security on my dllcache folder and mine matches yours... except I can't see if your Creator/Owner has special permissions checked off, you'd have to scroll down that box a little. It is checked off on mine. Otherwise they match if admin and system do not have special permissions checked off.

    I wish Sid would finish this off, he knows a lot more than me about this kind of stuff.

    I'd try to reinstall SP2 again...

    If that doesn't fix it,

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    #71
    ...I also had another idea for as a last resort before any reinstalls... turn off all rpc...shut the box down... then restart the rpc from the console... and maybe that'll clear up the problem. ...
    Let me ask you this... have you backed up all your data?

    Imho, you should do it now if you haven't already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

    There are idiots everywhere.

    At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 88
    Last Post: 07-16-11, 11:23 AM
  2. Onstars Other Services...
    By Prey521 in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-05, 03:26 PM
  3. Windows Services and Cablenut
    By Bold_Fortune in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-05, 11:04 AM
  4. 'Star Wars' Worm Targets AOL, Yahoo IM Services
    By Shinobi in forum Network Security
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-05, 01:36 PM
  5. Services on NT 4 server
    By CableDude in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-05, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •