Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XP Services?

Quote Originally Posted by SherriBabee
    Why not to a Repair Install? I tried to bout month ago when I had some IRQ setting errors, couldn't access the HD for nothing.. Well I've never done one and it didn't work out for me, but you probally have done stuff of this nature before?

I ended up being able to grab all my files from that bad HD after all by playing around with the BIOS on one pc and installing drive to another to reset the BIOS... Not the same problem as your's but nobody has mentioned about a Repair install, guess im suprised

Rgds
    Sherri

p.s.. from what im told, you wont loose anything on your drive as it ignores it, only repairs the Windows operating system...

The hell you say, LOL..You will lose a lot of things and have to go back and install a lot of proggies. That will be my last choice and this computer will have to just about stop working first. I have done several of them,Believe me and i know what happens..

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    I know bro... you haven't seen me post a solution yet have ya?

I'm lookin tho.

A list of all RPC processes that need to be on would be useful.

I think you need to turn on some other friggin service to fix that prob. I have one more svchost running than you...

I ain't giving up so easy

Hell, If thats what you think, I'll turn them all on and see what happens. Its only some click click here and there. Oh wait,That click click might be my brain on overload. ..I'll let ya know if anything works..

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by mandm6
    Hell, If thats what you think, I'll turn them all on and see what happens. Its only some click click here and there. Oh wait,That click click might be my brain on overload. ..I'll let ya know if anything works..

Kevin
    OMG

Oh heck no bro, I didn't mean that!

I am so sorry... I meant to find the darn setting, service, in some article, kb, forum, etc... to fix that. I'm still searching for one

I didn't mean start flipping switches! I'd never recommend that.

You must think I'm a total a**
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

The hell you say, LOL..You will lose a lot of things and have to go back and install a lot of proggies. That will be my last choice and this computer will have to just about stop working first. I have done several of them,Believe me and i know what happens..

Kevin
    I don't think a repair or reinstall will be required.

Imho, There's got to be a setting for some service, notice there's no LOCAL SERVICE, One less process too, and one less NETWORK SERVICE and too mnay SYSTEM.

Some network configuration or something, I dunno yet.

The running processes don't look right.

Here is a link to what my RPC SERVICES look like. Sorry if i did this wrong .http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4467/rpc0og.jpg

This is to my Task Manager:
    http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...manager9cs.jpg
    Gosh darn it, I missed this. Sorry.

To insert your images, use the little yellow icon instead of the hyperlink, or edit your code as you compose...

To just edit your reply code for an image, replace any [url] [/url*] with [IMG] and [/IMG] respectively

I had to add the * to the url end tag to make it display as something other than a link, lol. Ignore that*

Dont try to highlight text for inserting images, just click that icon with your text cursor on a blank space... hit the icon, then backspace out the http:/ that's in the pop up box, and paste or type your image url in that box. I think I did the same thing too when I came back.

RPC services

Task manager

Rpc Help!!!!!!!!!!

HELLLLLP !!! I have really screwed things up now. Last night i set them all to auto and rebooted and nothing changed. Soooo, Like a stupid a- - i went and disabled it and nothing changed. Then i rebooted with it disabled and bamm, It takes 5 mins for it to boot. I can't get on the net with it. I can't do a restore with it. Only 8 services are running.It will not let me open the properties to enable it back. Its like RPC is the brain and i just tried my first brain surgery...NOW I NEED HELP BAD!!!! PLEASE...LOL

Boot into recovery console and give the command "Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start"
    Try reinstalling service pack 2.
    Last edited by Sid; 05-27-06 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Boot into recovery console and give the command "Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start"
    Sorry to sound so dumb but is that 2 different things to try or just one? Also, Whats the best way to reboot in the recovery console? I don't have one installed and when i put my xp disc in, It says the version of xp i have on the computer is newer than the cd and tells me to end..
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-27-06 at 10:42 AM.

Really need the help

I know some of you computer experts have come across this problem before.This just does not make any sense to me
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-27-06 at 12:02 PM.

I found out how to get it started again. whewwww.. The first problem is still there with it being grayed out but at least its enabled and everything is working....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838428

I found out how to get it started again. whewwww.. The first problem is still there with it being grayed out but at least its enabled and everything is working....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838428
    that's great news!

I had to bookmark that MS KB. Thanks.

This is defying search terms... I'll get it eventually.

Sorry 'bout that earlier miscommunication.

I beleive that some service, or device, needs a setting change. To enable something, prolly network something, is my best guess, and that may also create the missing LOCAL SERVICE svchost process. I hope. Anyway that's basically what I'm looking for.

and that the rpc tabs are right again on a reboot...

Sorry to sound so dumb but is that 2 different things to try or just one? Also, Whats the best way to reboot in the recovery console? I don't have one installed and when i put my xp disc in, It says the version of xp i have on the computer is newer than the cd and tells me to end..
    Sid is an expert on Windows and command line recovery stuff.

I started looking at stuff... that command line Sid gave, "Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start", crytptographic services related, but rpc too
    link
    You will need to use your XP CD to boot the computer into the Recovery Console, then type
    the command: Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start
    Now press the Enter key to submit the command.
    Now type: exit and press Enter to restart the computer.
    If you are unfamiliar with the Recovery Console this Microsoft Article may help: 314058
    But you can't get the recovery console to boot, correct?

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere in the threads at some time... somebody prolly knows how to fix that, I don't. I've never needed to use recovery console on one of my boxes, and it's been more than a couple years since I had a client needing that.

Still looking...

reinstalling SP2...

just a thought- that is a seperate process.

and I beleive you better pull your data off first before doing that.

Any version of windows xp or 2k pro will have recover console on it. XP has a few more tools but either one will work for this. Seeing how you have RPC running again, you can ignore the command. SP2 is like a mini reinstall IMO, so try reinstalling it and see if it will revert to factory defaults during the reinstall.

To answer your question..... It's two different things to try.

Also log in as administrator not your normal user account and see if it is grayed out there as well.

Any version of windows xp or 2k pro will have recover console on it. XP has a few more tools but either one will work for this. Seeing how you have RPC running again, you can ignore the command. SP2 is like a mini reinstall IMO, so try reinstalling it and see if it will revert to factory defaults during the reinstall.

To answer your question..... It's two different things to try.

Also log in as administrator not your normal user account and see if it is grayed out there as well.
    Do i need to delete SP2 first? No matter how i boot the computer, There is no option for recovery console.I was going to try to see if i could install it from my windows xp cd but it tells me i have a newer version of xp on the computer. I guess thats SP2?
    So how do i get the recovery console? This is a self install xp and did not come with the computer.....

Boot from the cd like you're going to reinstall the OS. The first option will as you if you want to repair the OS, just say yes. You have already turned RPC on, you can ignore this and just try sp2.

You can run sp2 ontop of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    that's great news!

I had to bookmark that MS KB. Thanks.

This is defying search terms... I'll get it eventually.

Sorry 'bout that earlier miscommunication.

I beleive that some service, or device, needs a setting change. To enable something, prolly network something, is my best guess, and that may also create the missing LOCAL SERVICE svchost process. I hope. Anyway that's basically what I'm looking for.

and that the rpc tabs are right again on a reboot...
    I printed out the defaults from services on how each should run and Log on. I noticed that the Log on default is"Network Service" and mine says "Local System" but grayed out of course. I could have changed that also..

Ok,Will give it a try...Thanks Umm is there anyway to just delete a post instead of edit it? I wanted to just delete this one but did not see where you could do it..
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-27-06 at 03:18 PM.

Boot from the cd like you're going to reinstall the OS. The first option will as you if you want to repair the OS, just say yes. You have already turned RPC on, you can ignore this and just try sp2.

You can run sp2 ontop of itself.
    I have gone messege dumb.. Thanks and i'll give it a try now..

Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console! Ignore recovery console!

Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2! Reinstall SP2!