Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XP Services?

Nothing i've done has been able to make that tab greyed out.

I just set this box up recently and haven't made all my tweaks... XP Pro SP2 ... I can't turn RPC off.

Checked my other 2 boxes... can't touch it.

See this Elder Geek article

Nobody is exactly sure what this service does, but kill it off and watch your system quickly die. It's a fact that a multitude of the other services depend on this service running.

It is running though, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    attachments are disabled, you need to host your own image and to use [img] and then /img also in brackets
    Image Shack

free

Question

Kevin,
    Are U getting any error messages and system tells you it has to shut down and restart?

Sherri

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5086,
    Win7 Home Prem x64, AMD M785 (RS880M) + SB810/SB850, 8gb Crucial, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series,
    Crucial MX300, 525 GB, SATA III SSD,
    Vizio E552VLE-55 inch TV, Logitech K260 wireless;
    Avast HE 7.0.xxxx, Firefox 56.0.2_x32, Windows Firewall, Router

Quote Originally Posted by mandm6
    ... I clicked on services and was going through them and saw RPC.Well i made the mistake of clicking on it to see what the log on was set to. I must have did something wrong because now if i go to service, Everything is grayed out on the RPC,(Remote Procedure Call ).When you click on the Log On Tab it should have the radio button for,"THIS ACCOUNT ticked and in the blocks it should have," NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService. I did something to make it blank and grayed out.Does anyone have an idea how to get this service back like its suppose to? ...
    I looked at the first post earlier to make sure I understood. Maybe I should've asked.

I assumed RPC is running... just can't find a solution to the checkbox prob.

Correct?

My point was RPC is essential as far as I know. Ctrl+Alt+Del to taskman... is RPC running? you should see a bunch of svchost.exe processes running under processes tab. Processes for both Local Service and Network Service.

RPC is running. It shows it as started in the services. I just did something that grayed out everything and i have no idea what it could have been? Thanks eveyone for trying to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by SherriBabee
    Kevin,
    Are U getting any error messages and system tells you it has to shut down and restart?

Sherri
    Not getting any error messeges and everything seems to be running ok. Well except 1 thing. I noticed when i reboot the computer, It does not play the windows shutdown or startup sound. I have it set to windows default and i put some sounds in and saved them and everything works on my custom sound except the windows shutdown or startup sound. I'm sure they don't have anything to do with each other but it happened about the same time RPC grayed out

Not getting any error messeges and everything seems to be running ok. Well except 1 thing. I noticed when i reboot the computer, It does not play the windows shutdown or startup sound. I have it set to windows default and i put some sounds in and saved them and everything works on my custom sound except the windows shutdown or startup sound. I'm sure they don't have anything to do with each other but it happened about the same time RPC grayed out
    bro you need to upgrade your posting capabilities to take screen shots. Host 'em on Image Shack or somewhere.

Cool, just wanted to be sure you had a running box... my main concern was if RPC was shut down. There's got to be a solution and now I know there's time to dig.

How many svchost do ya have running in task man, break it down in 2 groups, local and network. Better to take a screen shot of taskman processes and post it....

I've not seen this and I'll be glad to contribute a 'lil googling on the subject in search of an answer.

And maybe someone will come along w/ the solution here. if Yos can't duplicate it, I suspect it won't be a quick search.

Here is a link to what my RPC SERVICES look like. Sorry if i did this wrong .http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4467/rpc0og.jpg

This is to my Task Manager:
    http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...manager9cs.jpg
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-25-06 at 12:53 PM.

Here is a link to what my RPC SERVICES look like. Sorry if i did this wrong .http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4467/rpc0og.jpg

This is to my Task Manager:
    http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6...manager9cs.jpg

+1 for upgrading to screen shot posting capability.

Your svchost.exe ...

I have one SYSTEM near the top of my taskman processes list.

You don't seem to have that one. I have one more running than you do. Whatever that means lol.

Then further down, I have 5 more grouped, LOCAL SERVICE, NETWORK SERVICE, SYSTEM, NETWORK SERVICE, SYSTEM.

Your group has 4 - SYSTEM and then a NETWORK SERVICE

I need to Google this up a few ways... unless someone else has the answer.

I'd be inclined to try the disable button... and try a restart w/ that setting. Then see if I could restart it... and input NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService into that box... and admin password in those psswd boxes.
    But I haven't tried that myself, so I dunno what might happen. I can't recommend that.

I'll see what I can find after I go handle some biz. I'll check back tonite.

ghetto,Thanks for the Image Shack url,I'm not the smartest apple on the tree or the dumbest either,At least i hope not...LOL.. I hit the disable button and then enabled it but nothing changed. What you see is what i have after trying everything thats been talked about so far. I really appreciate everything you folks are trying to do. That computer belongs to my wife. She mentioned today that she has been playing a game on it and the screen went blank and she had to hold the start button in to restart it. Now she says its happened several times since i caused the RPC to gray out. Not sure why she waited until now to tell me. Anyway, Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by mandm6; 05-25-06 at 02:59 PM.

ghetto,Thanks for the Image Shack url,I'm not the smartest apple on the tree or the dumbest either,At least i hope not...LOL.. I hit the disable button and then enabled it but nothing changed. What you see is what i have after trying everything thats been talked about so far. I really appreciate everything you folks are trying to do. That computer belongs to my wife. She mentioned today that she has been playing a game on it and the screen went blank and she had to hold the start button in to restart it. Now she says its happened several times since i caused the RPC to gray out. Not sure why she waited until now to tell me. Anyway, Thanks!
    Kevin
    You're doing just fine bro.

It was so nice to see you had done the upgrade and posted the screen shots, I had to comment.

You answer the questions too, that is sooo helpful to find a solution It irks me when folks post for help, but then don't answer the questions.
    I also dislike when folks blow out of the forum w/o saying whether or not the fix was found, and what it was.

I know you've been away from SG a while... After about a 1 year absence from SG, I was unfamiliar w/ the user cp here for a couple weeks.
    So I been there, done that. bro.

getting down to the real issue:

Ha ha, yeah too bad your wife didn't tell ya about that sooner LMAO.

I gotta be honest, I haven't had a chance to search for a fix... I've been busy and there's been some bs going on elsewhere that I have to keep an eye...before I deal with it.

It appears to me that you are missing one rpc process, (the first SYSTEM user that I have which you do not have running) and that no doubt that is causing the prob your wife is experiencing given what we know about turning off rpc. I think finding a way to turn it on should be out there, maybe even a reg entry could be listed in the MS KB.

I'll do my best to find something on this up a bit by morning. I have to run out for a bit soon, so prolly gonna be a few hours before I can get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    You're doing just fine bro.

It was so nice to see you had done the upgrade and posted the screen shots, I had to comment.

You answer the questions too, that is sooo helpful to find a solution It irks me when folks post for help, but then don't answer the questions.
    I also dislike when folks blow out of the forum w/o saying whether or not the fix was found, and what it was.

I know you've been away from SG a while... After about a 1 year absence from SG, I was unfamiliar w/ the user cp here for a couple weeks.
    So I been there, done that. bro.

getting down to the real issue:

Ha ha, yeah too bad your wife didn't tell ya about that sooner LMAO.

I gotta be honest, I haven't had a chance to search for a fix... I've been busy and there's been some bs going on elsewhere that I have to keep an eye...before I deal with it.

It appears to me that you are missing one rpc process, (the first SYSTEM user that I have which you do not have running) and that no doubt that is causing the prob your wife is experiencing given what we know about turning off rpc. I think finding a way to turn it on should be out there, maybe even a reg entry could be listed in the MS KB.

I'll do my best to find something on this up a bit by morning. I have to run out for a bit soon, so prolly gonna be a few hours before I can get to it.

I'll just keep looking and see if MS has anything on it. I'll never just leave the post hanging. Something may come up and it could be a day or so before i can get back to it but when someone is helping me, I try to do what i can to find the answer to the problem also and not just leave it up to ya'll. Thanks Again..

I'll just keep looking and see if MS has anything on it. I'll never just leave the post hanging. Something may come up and it could be a day or so before i can get back to it but when someone is helping me, I try to do what i can to find the answer to the problem also and not just leave it up to ya'll. Thanks Again..

I'll do some looking too, promptly lol. Mostly I have plenty of time to search for various things, it's just that I've been too busy the past 2 days. I like to help out for various reasons, it makes me happy I like it best when someone like you comes along bro!

If you're into the MS KB's... I'll try googling w/ a few search terms, might find some forum postings somewhere for a fix.

I'll do some looking too, promptly lol. Mostly I have plenty of time to search for various things, it's just that I've been too busy the past 2 days. I like to help out for various reasons, it makes me happy I like it best when someone like you comes along bro!

If you're into the MS KB's... I'll try googling w/ a few search terms, might find some forum postings somewhere for a fix.
    I can't find anything at all on it. I have checked 25 sites and nothing about how to get it restarted normal. I swear it looks like i'm the only one thats every had this problem. Maybe my next thing to do is call Microsoft if anyone here can't come up with a fix.

Lightbulb

Why not to a Repair Install? I tried to bout month ago when I had some IRQ setting errors, couldn't access the HD for nothing.. Well I've never done one and it didn't work out for me, but you probally have done stuff of this nature before?

I ended up being able to grab all my files from that bad HD after all by playing around with the BIOS on one pc and installing drive to another to reset the BIOS... Not the same problem as your's but nobody has mentioned about a Repair install, guess im suprised

Rgds
    Sherri

p.s.. from what im told, you wont loose anything on your drive as it ignores it, only repairs the Windows operating system...

I can't find anything at all on it. I have checked 25 sites and nothing about how to get it restarted normal. I swear it looks like i'm the only one thats every had this problem. Maybe my next thing to do is call Microsoft if anyone here can't come up with a fix.
    I know bro... you haven't seen me post a solution yet have ya?

I'm lookin tho.

A list of all RPC processes that need to be on would be useful.

I think you need to turn on some other friggin service to fix that prob. I have one more svchost running than you...

I ain't giving up so easy

I'll bet you won't mess with any RPC processes again

I'll bet you won't mess with any RPC processes again
    LMAO R-U-kidding? I've been in the Registry playing around since bout a month after I kinda got the 'Swing' of what it was

Im a I.T. Tech's Nitemare

(someone told me that b4 and they ALWAYS tell me 'If it Works, leave it alone', ya think I listen

Giggles-n-Snorkles,
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by SherriBabee
    LMAO R-U-kidding? I've been in the Registry playing around since bout a month after I kinda got the 'Swing' of what it was

Im a I.T. Tech's Nitemare

(someone told me that b4 and they ALWAYS tell me 'If it Works, leave it alone', ya think I listen

Giggles-n-Snorkles,
    Sherri