Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this combo please

Opinions on this combo please

I'm looking to replace my main folding rig that puked the other day.

I have 2 sticks of pc2700 ddr333 (328Mb total). I dunno if the mobo or the cpu is fried and I hope the ram is ok, had overheating probs w/ the box before it puked.

Anyway- I found this mobo/cpu combo at a store in the City for $79 and a $20 rebate, I'm thinking about buying it and would appreciate some feedback.

Biostar P4M80-M7A Motherboard + Intel Celeron D 346 Bundle

mobo specs

cpu

I know, celeron.... but my funds are limited.

The other choices I have, 2 AMD bundles
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

BUMP

C'mon guys, I need some feedback even if it's negative. I need a replacement folding machine ASAP.

Links to any better deals?

sure one sec lemme look at it

Should be ok. I've never had a Biostar mobo and don't consider them one of the "top" brands...plus it uses a VIA chipset, which aren't my fav (intel, nvidia, ati)...but is decent. I'd say for the money, it's a good deal and should be fine as long as you don't care to overclock.

Broke
    " Processor is pre-mounted onto motherboard "

Does that mean its soldered to the board???

If so.....Stay away

http://www.directron.com/mobobundles.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=14

I have a biostar board on my server at home....it's rock solid and was cheap as hell too ...

a celeron? i don't think they solder them on..only via does that w/ their cyrix stuff

i would wait couple weeks,prices will drop,june 6th when AM2 is gonna be released imo
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

a cpu and mobo cheaper than 80 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    why not,he can get something better for same price

i will be selling S478 HT cpu 3ghz + mobo +2gb ram +agp 256mb video pretty cheap in couple of days maybe weeks.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside
    BUMP

C'mon guys, I need some feedback even if it's negative. I need a replacement folding machine ASAP.

Links to any better deals?

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813138264

this is the board i recently bought

i meant new, but sure.

Amro, Chris, Izzo, rivas

hey guys thanks for the feedback.

Should be ok. I've never had a Biostar mobo and don't consider them one of the "top" brands...plus it uses a VIA chipset, which aren't my fav (intel, nvidia, ati)...but is decent. I'd say for the money, it's a good deal and should be fine as long as you don't care to overclock.
    I had one Biostar, socket 7, compatable w/ K6 and P1. Eventually I tried both brands in it, ran well with either K6 or P1. Was dependable.

Me too on the VIA.

I think it's a good deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    " Processor is pre-mounted onto motherboard "

Does that mean its soldered to the board???

If so.....Stay away
    I hope it doesn't mean that.

But as Amro said, it's a Celeron, and I agree that shouldn't be soldered on, but it is a good thing to check on first. Thanks for the heads up reminder. I did see that before you mentioned it, but kinda assumed what Amro said. I better not assume anything w/ my luck.

Once I bought a new PC Chips combo, advertised as an AMD Duron 3000+. When I got it home I found the cpu soldered.... It also only ran at 1.4 Ghz 266FSB w/ new 333DDR RAM. O/C'ing BIOS... ran stable at 1.7 -don't recall the frequency multiplier setting. Kinda a scam set up, forum link from that time
    I had a few glitches w/ the box. The box would fail to identify a CD Burner as the secondary master infrequently and hand at POST with a "non ATAPI device error", and sometimes it would happen to the primary hdd, a new 40 Gb WD ATA 100. But all too frequently. Whether O/C'd or not. The primary slave was a Maxtor ( ) 8 Gb ATA 33.
    Eventually I found that after removing the Maxtor and installed a 30 Gb WD ATA 100... the POST problems vanished. LMAO. That problem dogged me for months I no longer mix UDMA modes on the same channel.

I was disappointed w/ the combo mainly because of the soldered on cpu, it was advertised as a socket A, so it never occured to me that the cpu would be soldered and any upgrading was impossible. And coupled with the POST problems that dogged me for months, it was a while before I found the combo to be to my satisfaction.

I don't want another one locked into one cpu.

Hmmmm, Tiger Direct has some interesting items there, I gotta scrutinize that page. I was looking to buy from a store in the City, but I suppose if I found something I liked better I could go another route. Great link, I never even considered Tiger either. Although it's listed as Chicago store... Orland park is a real cruise, and for me on public trans.... a day long adventure and maybe a bit of long walking depending on suburban buses or lack of them in the area of the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813138264

this is the board i recently bought
    Rock solid server... cool. Looks good to me.

That old Biostar I had was rock solid.

Just out of curiousity, what cpu you using Izzo?

Quote Originally Posted by rivas

i will be selling S478 HT cpu 3ghz + mobo +2gb ram +agp 256mb video pretty cheap in couple of days maybe weeks.

I sent you a pm

i meant new, but sure.
    I did too, but if the price is right....

$80 is a major investment for me. I have the RAM for it (I've already prayed to the computer gods that the RAM is OK), and all the other hardware. So $80, less the $20 mail-in rebate, and I'm not sure but I beleive the last time I was in the store I got a mail-in rebate instantly at checkout because I was there in the store. So $60 (eventually) will hook me up at Micro Center.

Now if I could get that set up rivas posted for $80 (I think he missed that $20 mail-in or I was unclear, $60 for that rig is I think just too good of a deal)
    but then again maybe rivas is gonna hook me up. I just might wanna wait for that.

Canadian shipping charges too Ugh! prolly gonna be $25.

We'll see...

Thanks again guys. I'm gonna check out Tiger real good too.

I kinda thought Celeron, ugh! but I'm thinking of my experience w/ the older ones. I don't care for the smaller cpu caches, but at 3.06 Ghz I'm sure the celeron will fold adequately, or at least better than anything else I have. Could always upgrade the cpu later...

Amro, Chris, Izzo, rivas

I had one Biostar, socket 7, compatable w/ K6 and P1. Eventually I tried both brands in it, ran well with either K6 or P1. Was dependable.

Me too on the VIA.

But as Amro said, it's a Celeron, and I agree that shouldn't be soldered on, but it is a good thing to check on first. Thanks for the heads up reminder. I did see that before you mentioned it, but kinda assumed what Amro said. I better not assume anything w/ my luck.

Once I bought a new PC Chips combo, advertised as an AMD Duron 3000+. When I got it home I found the cpu soldered.... It also only ran at 1.4 Ghz 266FSB w/ new 333DDR RAM. O/C'ing BIOS... ran stable at 1.7 -don't recall the frequency multiplier setting. Kinda a scam set up, forum link from that time
    I had a few glitches w/ the box. The box would fail to identify a CD Burner as the secondary master infrequently and hand at POST with a "non ATAPI device error", and sometimes it would happen to the primary hdd, a new 40 Gb WD ATA 100. But all too frequently. Whether O/C'd or not. The primary slave was a Maxtor ( ) 8 Gb ATA 33.
    Eventually I found that after removing the Maxtor and installed a 30 Gb WD ATA 100... the POST problems vanished. LMAO. That problem dogged me for months I no longer mix UDMA modes on the same channel.

I was disappointed w/ the combo mainly because of the soldered on cpu, it was advertised as a socket A, so it never occured to me that the cpu would be soldered and any upgrading was impossible. And coupled with the POST problems that dogged me for months, it was a while before I found the combo to be to my satisfaction.

Hmmmm, Tiger Direct has some interesting items there, I gotta scrutinize that page. I was looking to buy from a store in the City, but I suppose if I found something I liked better I could go another route. Great link, I never even considered Tiger either. Although it's listed as Chicago store... Orland park is a real cruise, and for me on public trans.... a day long adventure and maybe a bit of long walking depending on suburban buses or lack of them in the area of the store.

I sent you a pm

$80 is a major investment for me. I have the RAM for it (I've already prayed to the computer gods that the RAM is OK), and all the other hardware. So $80, less the $20 mail-in rebate, and I'm not sure but I beleive the last time I was in the store I got a mail-in rebate instantly at checkout because I was there in the store. So $60 (eventually) will hook me up at Micro Center.

Now if I could get that set up rivas posted for $80 (I think he missed that $20 mail-in or I was unclear, $60 for that rig is I think just too good of a deal)
    but then again maybe rivas is gonna hook me up. I just might wanna wait for that.

We'll see...

I kinda thought Celeron, ugh! but I'm thinking of my experience w/ the older ones. I don't care for the smaller cpu caches, but at 3.06 Ghz I'm sure the celeron will fold adequately, or at least better than anything else I have. Could always upgrade the cpu later...
    AMD 3200

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    AMD 3200
    thanks

well, good luck w/ it buddy. and it's a major investment for me too

Amro, Chris, Izzo, rivas

Me too on the VIA.

I sent you a pm

We'll see...

for christ sake dont buy AMD
    well its 3.0ghz cpu S478 which is old one but its also asus mobo with sata,that P4800E deluxe 800mhz,and videocard is leadtek winfast A350 ultra tdh and 2gb of ram.Its gonna be little bit more expansive than $80 bucks and $25 bucks for shipping is for EXPRESS 1-3 days.It also depends on weight.

- Emiliano Zapata

well, good luck w/ it buddy. and it's a major investment for me too

Thanks Amro

well its 3.0ghz cpu S478 which is old one but its also asus mobo with sata,that P4800E deluxe 800mhz,and videocard is leadtek winfast A350 ultra tdh and 2gb of ram.Its gonna be little bit more expansive than $80 bucks and $25 bucks for shipping is for EXPRESS 1-3 days.It also depends on weight.

I've burned up a few AMD.

DDR 400 RAM?

... Its gonna be little bit more expansive than $80 bucks and $25 bucks for shipping is for EXPRESS 1-3 days.It also depends on weight.
    Price? How much more expensive than $80?

I gotta think about that.

I'm gonna shop around a lil' more now, being a major investment and all. A nice Intel chipset w/ a P4 and ample DDR RAM for $129 (after $20 rebate!) would be my preference (now that I saw one that was in the ball park )

I saw a deal for an Asus w/ 2 Gb DDR, 3.06 Ghz P4 for $129- pretty good deal for new! I can't believe I lost that link - killed all my open tabs- I need to rebrowse the site.

Or I just may grab the Biostar for $59 final price.

Bump...

Just to update the situation...

I won't be buying the rig rivas offered.

I'm open to any links on super deals... maybe just one super deal on a new combo that accepts PC2700 DDR333.

I'd appreciate any finds, Thanks.

Price is not the same, lol. $200 plus $25 for Canadian shipping.

We had one dealing. I never did post in the SG List of Honest Traders thread. lol. Soon afterwards I got tied up in Waukegan for a while... and forgot all about that. I better handle that biz.

I just did, link