Thread: Possible new bike for the idiot

Possible new bike for the idiot

1996 Yamaha FZR. Not the fastest, not the best handling. Yet a competent sportbike that can get out of its own way and from what I'm reading quite a bit of fun on the twisties.

I did some number crunching, and if I can ride this little guy 3/4ers of the time that I'd normally be in a car it will pay for itself in one year...and I'm left with a bike that has finished depreciating and will most likely gain value as the gas prices climb. That and it looks like so damn much fun, even better that I have a concrete justification(to myself, even better!). Insurance is a joke, like 24 bucks a month for full coverage with 250 deductible and pretty much maxed coverage. Pays to be 32 with no tickets(I'd step in front of a bullet for my lawyer).

Anyway, take this thread as a chance to post up your choice of two-wheeled coffin. I'll be nice and withold the comments of "chromosexual and dirtbag" for you Harley types, bikes are bikes afterall.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Those are death traps, get a 90's corolla if you want good gas mileage LOL
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    NO. I like to have a competent vehicle beneath me in terms of performance. I can't go from a 400-hp AWD car to an anemic 110hp fwd crud-box. My commute belive it or not is an essential part of my unwinding from a hectic day. I drive 30+ miles to and from work, the last 12 miles or so being waaaay out in the country. Those roads help me decompress and be in a good mood when I greet my dogs.

I've been riding since age 8, and I have skills. I'm also hyper-vigilant when on a bike. I *could* end up a statistic, but it won't be my fault if that is the case. Some things are worth the risk.

Do eet!

nice looking bike, those FZR's were the **** in their heyday.
    I'm looing into a sportbike maybe towards the end of this summer. My friend picked up a '98 Ducati Monster for ~$4k.
    Whats the tag on that year FZR looking like?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

lol, is that bike in Cookesville? I just saw it on cycletrader

Yeah Blisster, so you know the price.

Those are death traps.

With you on the road everyone in NYC is in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    With you on the road everyone in NYC is in danger.
    LOL, that sounds about right
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Those are death traps
    I'd rather die doing something that I loved than grow old wishing I'd lead a more exciting life. My motorcycle brings me a lot of joy and excitement, wouldn't trade it for any guarantee of safety.

sweet lil flicker!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

I'm withh Blisster and Brembo on all their points..

I got a '98 CBR 600 F3 (Red Black) last November and it's not just fun, exciting, etc... It's just so damn practical right now..

I also have a 30+ mile commute each way to work..
    I can get to work and back home twice on 10 bucks.

In my Durango, each trip to work and back costs more than 15 dollars (closer to 18). 36-40 miles, 13 miles per gallon = 3 gallons one way.. X2 = 6 gallons round trip for one day...

It costs me 214 bucks a year in insurance and I got the bike for 2500 bucks.

I've recently stopped smoking and it's a great way to get out of the old habits to just jump on the bike and ride (anywhere), just to stay busy and not in the old rut that would likely lead to boredom / smoking.

The best thing about it though is that no matter how bad a day I've had, the ride home at night is always a blast.
    Here in NC, most drivers are pretty good. You get the occasional person not paying attention or not "seeing" you but as long as you stay alert and cover your butt, you're in good shape.

I would highly recommend it to anyone feeling the preasure from gas prices or anyone that has ever wanted to ride.
    Start out on a bike like the one above or a lat 90's mid-size and you won't regret it..

My bike:

Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by brembo

1996 Yamaha FZR. Not the fastest, not the best handling. Yet a competent sportbike that can get out of its own way and from what I'm reading quite a bit of fun on the twisties.

I did some number crunching, and if I can ride this little guy 3/4ers of the time that I'd normally be in a car it will pay for itself in one year...and I'm left with a bike that has finished depreciating and will most likely gain value as the gas prices climb. That and it looks like so damn much fun, even better that I have a concrete justification(to myself, even better!). Insurance is a joke, like 24 bucks a month for full coverage with 250 deductible and pretty much maxed coverage. Pays to be 32 with no tickets(I'd step in front of a bullet for my lawyer).

Anyway, take this thread as a chance to post up your choice of two-wheeled coffin. I'll be nice and withold the comments of "chromosexual and dirtbag" for you Harley types, bikes are bikes afterall.

cool bike,what size is the motor?

ya, cars are MUCH safer,

Dan, it's a 600, and that bike is gone. Dude sold it yesterday. I am however the current high bidder on another FZR in Georgia. 50 bucks more tho, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    Dan, it's a 600, and that bike is gone. Dude sold it yesterday. I am however the current high bidder on another FZR in Georgia. 50 bucks more tho, oh well.

good luck !

and 600 is great! pretty zippy!!!!!!!!!!