Thread: I can't run Scan Disk or Defrag ...need help!

Question I can't run Scan Disk or Defrag ...need help!

Hi ,

I seem to be unable to run Scan Disk and Degrag and I need some help . When I try to run both of these programs , I get an error message telling me that a program such as a disk utility has locked the drive and to close the program or wait for it to finish . I have no idea what this program might be . I've never had this problem before . I did have to restore my computer the other day , and it's been since then that this has happened . My kitten spilled water on my hard drive ( not a lot , but ........... ) and I wonder if it caused some damage. If anyone could please help me with this, I'd appreciate it . Thanks !

You can't run check disk from within windows on an NT system. Boot to the windows cd and choose r for repair. Once into recovery console type

chkdsk /r

and press enter, when finished type

exit

to finish and reboot.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by sandralynn4
    Hi ,

I seem to be unable to run Scan Disk and Degrag and I need some help . When I try to run both of these programs , I get an error message telling me that a program such as a disk utility has locked the drive and to close the program or wait for it to finish .
    If you try to kick off a checkdisk from within Windows NT...it's normal for it to tell you it cannot gain access to the disk with exclusive rights.

Open up My Computer, right click your C drive and select properties...tools...error checking box....check now button...put a checkmark in both Auto Fix and Scan/Recover. Click "Start". You'll get a warning "Disk check could not.....exclusive rights... blah blah blah". This is normal..click "Yes"...and it will run at reboot.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I don't think she's running an NT OS. Try booting to Safe Mode and run scandisk from there.

That's true Cable Dude , I am running Windows 98 SE . I meant to say that in my first post . I will try running it in safe mode - thanks . However , I'd still like to fix the problem , as I've run Scan Disk and Defrag dozens of times before with no problem . Not sure if I should try the first 2 suggestions or not , since I'm not running NT . Any help would be appreciated !

I think once you run it in safe mode you should be ok. Make sure you turn you screen saver off.

Thank you ! I'll give a try

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude
    I don't think she's running an NT OS. Try booting to Safe Mode and run scandisk from there.

It would take a Win95 lover like you to have telepathic powers to know this! We assume so much these days, 2K/XP and broadband. Err...heh.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    It would take a Win95 lover like you to have telepathic powers to know this! We assume so much these days, 2K/XP and broadband. Err...heh.

Quote Originally Posted by sandralynn4
    I get an error message telling me that a program such as a disk utility has locked the drive and to close the program or wait for it to finish
    This gave away the Win9x-ness. It's a common issue w/ 9x. Funny thing, run it in safe mode. If it still gives you fun, move the mouse in circles on the screen and it'll eventually finish (this is funny, but it works. i think windows is having process scheduling issues or something and needs something else to waste some cpu cycles. i'm not sure, but it's been a bug since 95).