Thread: Slow Download Speed when connected to Router and Switch.

Slow Download Speed when connected to Router and Switch.

Hello, I have Cox Hight Speed Internet connect connect to a Cisco 2126 router running NAT. When I'm connected straight from the Cable modem to my PC, I get 12Mbps Download speed, but when I connect from, Cable Modem to Cisco 2621 Router to 1900 Cisco switch my speed decreases over half. Can any help me with this problem.

Thanks
    BooGeyMan

Advanced Member
    For starters that Cisco gear only allows a 10Mbps speed, so immediatly you are cutting off some of your full bandwidth. Also that is a thoretical maximum, so it is possible that it isn't working 100% causing a further loss.

My biggest question would be are you sure you have it setup properly? Cisco gear offers unlimited configuration options, and even the slightest misconfiguration can casue problems.

Yes you are so correct about the misconfiguration would cause a problem. Far as I can see everything is set up correct. I'm gettng 12Mbps when I connect Modem <-------- > PC. If I'm correct the 1900 switch should be able to handle my max connection speed which should be 9Mbps even if I'm getting like 12Mbps average the 1900 hundred switch should be able to handle up to 10Mbps....

Advanced Member
    The 1900 series was designed for 10Mbps, so you will not be able to get anywhere near 12Mbps on it. End of story, it just isn't capable of that. You will need to upgrade to a 100Mbps switch to fully utilize your bandwidth. So what you need to look at is if you are supposed to be getting 10Mbps, but only getting 6Mbps.

There is most likely something wrong, either with the configuration of the devices, or your ISP not liking you sharing the connection. Try powering down the modem and letting it sit for a while then connecting back to the router. Might be the ISP punishing you for having changed the MAC from the original setup.