Thread: Dmz?

Dmz?

should this be enable or disable? And what does this do? Sorry kinda new to this. I have it at disbale right now. I have 3 computers thats connected to this router. Would it effect online gaming on the other comp if i leave this disbale cause the it was enable on the factory setting but somehow i think i'm losing my connecting every 10min with this enable. So need some advice here. On or Off? The good and the bad.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It's usually not turned on by default.

DMZ on consumer grade broadband routers, is basically bypassing your routers NAT firewall. Your operating system has over 65,000 ports..which services run on.

A broadband router, by default, hides all of those...hence its basic firewall protection. However...if you need to connect to a computer behind the router...from across the internet, you'll need to expose the port(s) that the service you are using connects on. You'll find a port forwarding section on your router to do that. Say you want to run a Quake 3 server..you'd open/forward port 27,960 to your "server". Or if you wanted to connect to a computer using Remote Desktop Connection, you'd open/forward port 3389. Or if you wanted to run a web server from home, port 80.

The smart thing to do is only open/forward the ports necessary to make your service available....and keep allllllllllll the other ports hidden.

However...there is a dummy approach to this...called the "DMZ". You put your computers LAN IP address in the DMZ..and all 65,000 plus ports are available. It's not protected at all. This is a BAD thing. You'll find it rather quickly infected, and falling under hacking attempts and all that other bad stuff that happens to computers with public IP addresses.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!