Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting IP TOS in the Optimizer ?

Setting IP TOS in the Optimizer ?

Please let me take this thread in order to post my question:
    Just ran the TCP/IP analyzer. All values appear to be correct except for "IP type of service field". It says: check bit=1 (incorrect 8th checking bit must be zero).
    So, wonder if you can tell me what it is and how can I fix it within TCP/Optimizer??
    Another thing: in RWIN values, how can I change those values according to a specific scale factor?? For instance, change it to a factor of 8 or to factor of 4??
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I moved your post to a separate thread.

To answer your question:

In the TCP Optimizer, choose the "Advanced Settings" tab, and look at the upper right, the two values you need to set are:
    DisableUserTOSSetting=0
    DisableTOSValue=0 <- you can also change this value to some other number for different ToS... Try 136, or 184 for example.

I hope this helps.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thanks Philip for your reply and help. Also thank you for placing the thread in the right place. Was a bit lost.
    Now, back to the above mentioned issue and regarding the "DisableTOSValue=0". Once my OS is windows XP Pro and my advertised downstream is 8Mbps / 384Kbps upstream, which of those value do you think I must take for a try??

Blog Entries
    Most people keep the "IP TOS" field at 0. Even if you set it at some other value, some ISPs change it, or don't consider it at all...

With that in mind, if you're still interested in tweaking it, I'd try "136" before "184" for the DisableTOSValue setting.

Thanks for your info, pal. Anyway, will try both values...
    Let me take this change to formulate you another question: notice here at the forum that other guys install both TCP/Optimizer and cablenut. Wonder what's the need of installing them both. IN my case, would TCP/Optimizer be enough??

Blog Entries
    In my biased/subjective opinion of the grunt that chose most of the settings in the program, yes, the TCP Optimizer is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzagpt
    Let me take this change to formulate you another question: notice here at the forum that other guys install both TCP/Optimizer and cablenut. Wonder what's the need of installing them both. IN my case, would TCP/Optimizer be enough??
    I am "one of the guys"...(smile). My reason is for fine tuning certain fields and Cablenut is graphically easier to make the changes, save the files and make further amendments later. Fields that I experiment changes with are

TcpMaxDupAttacks - 3 (should this be 2 or 3)
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server - 20
    MaxConnectionsPerServer - 10 (can these be 24 and 12 or something else)
    DefaultTOSValue - 92 (or 240 or something else http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.p...2&topic=1878.0)

Blog Entries
    trogers... The "MaxConnectionPerServer" and "MaxConnectionPer1_0Server" only work for Internet Explorer, if set to numbers that are too high, the web server might stop opening new connections (20 connecitons from the same IP requesting files, hmm)... And you can get some pages hanging. Then again, I've tried 20 and it works ok most of the time.

The DefaultTOSValue... Check out the TCP Optimizer documentation on the TOS setting: http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php#advanced

The reason I said "136" or 184" is DiffServ - the newer standard that is similar, but not 100% compatible with the original TOS... I'd be interested in what you think if you care to read the reasoning in the documentation.

100 010 00 binary, "136" decimal (for ToS, you get flash override precedence, high throughput, normal cost. For DiffServ, you get AF41 - class 4 traffic, low drop probability

101 110 00 binary, "184" decimal (for ToS, you get critical precedence, low delay, high throughput, normal cost. For DiffServ, you get EF - Expedited Forwarding, high priority traffic, but with higher drop probability)

Philip, thanks for the information. I will experiment further and give you a feedback on DefaultTOSValue.

I am not aware "MaxConnection..." affects only Internet Explorer (and I seldom use this browser) . I was hoping changing values in these two registry fields can improve on my FireFox and Opera browsers as they have similar config settings.

Blog Entries
    Glad to be able to help with something

For the Firefox equivalent of the "Maxconnection..." registry tweak, check the last section "Firefox Web tweaking" in this article: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=156

Well, guess I'll stick with Philip recomandation for the time being. I mean, I' ll stay with Optimizer alone. Thanks for now.

Hello everybody,

My opinion Philip is that enerything above 'immediate priority', is more than enough.
    Im using 010... 00 for priority and everything works fine even with ''rough access sites''.
    So, my recommendation for this tweak are values around 72(010 010 00), and 80(010 100 00) but everyone have to test his own pc to find out the correct value.
    The only issue that im not sure about and i need your help is, if the servers can read the first 0 bit.
    If not, but still can read only the next 7 bits the value is valid, but if servers can't read the first 0bit but adds at last a 0 bit then the value totally changes to 144(100 100 00) or 160(101 000 00).

Thanx !
    The truth is, in there........!!!

Hi Kinkymaster, thanks for your input.

I have tried DefaultTOSValue at 136 and 184 and find 136 do speed up browsing with FireFox considerably, especially for sites with many imagery (http://www.imagestation.com/community/). Setting at value 184 however encounters some extra retransimssions during net congestion.

I used to use the setting 92 but now am sticking to 136.
    Last edited by trogers; 04-23-06 at 11:44 AM.

Hi trogers,

If 136 seems to work fine with u, try also to test 144(100 100 00) which uses the same priority with the 136 value(flash override), but "tweaking" the delay bit and not the throughput bit, which anyway is tweaked (enough to u ..... i think)
    Try also 132 value that it has again the same priority with 136 but it "tweaks" the reliability bit.
    Im sure that u will find the best valid one. You only have to do some tests, thats all

92 theoritically seems to be the best recommended (as i see in forums) value, because it gives u immediate priority and delay-throughput-reliability =1
    So we have the first 3 bits "010" that are the priority (128=0, 64=1, 32=0) following by "111" delay-throughput-reliability (16=1, 8=1, 4=1) that gives us 64+16+8+4=92
    Last edited by kinkymaster; 04-23-06 at 01:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Kinkymaster... I agree with 92 as far as ToS is concerned, but note the "DiffServ" table here: http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php#advanced_qos

Basically, if you use "010" as the first 3 bits, for the next 3 the only valid values in DiffServ are:
    000 - normal delay/throughput/reliability
    010 - Assured Forwarding, low drop precedence.
    100 - Assured Forwarding, medium drop precedence.
    110 - Assured Forwarding, high drop precedence.

So, if there is Diffserv support on the network (which is much newer than, and supercedes ToS), you might be better off if your ToS setting is compatible...

Just my 2c

I agree pal, thats why i use 80 and not 92 that is supposes to be "best performance"

Blog Entries
    80 sounds good

Just updated the Optimizer documentation, added a decimal DiffServ column to the codepoints table with numbers that can directly be plugged into the Optimizer.

Here I am back again. So, I've followed this thread and Philip please clarify me on this: You've told above that the best Tos value would be "0". But anyway, I could try 132 or 184. Those are my values with "80".

IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 01010000 (80)

Precedence (priority) = 010 (immediate)
    Delay = 1 (low delay)
    Throughput = 0 (normal throughput)
    Reliability = 0 (normal reliability)
    Cost = 0 (normal cost)
    Check bit = 0 (correct, 8th checking bit must be zero)

DiffServ (RFC 2474) = AF22 010100 (20) - Assured Forwarding class 2, medium drop precedence (RFC 2597).

What do you have to say about it?? Are they reliable??

Blog Entries
    Well... I said that a lot of people leave the ToS at "0" because it's an advanced setting. I also mentioned "136" (not 134) and "184" as good values... 80 will work well too.

Any of those 3 should work well.

Well...excuse me buddy. My mistake... Anyway, below it goes what the analyzer says about my connection... Wonder if you could give your opinion. I mean, is there anything I should try to change in order to improve my downstream/upstream speed?? Thanks.

TCP options string = 020405ac0103030101010402

MTU = 1492
    MTU is optimized for PPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1452
    MSS is optimized for PPPoE DSL broadband. If not, consider raising your MTU value.

Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 113256
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 1 bits (scale factor of 2)
    Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 56628

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    511104 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    255552 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    127776 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    63888 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 4530.24 kbps (566.28 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your TCP Window limits you to: 1812.096 kbps (226.512 KBytes/s) @ 500ms

MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON

Time to live left = 120 hops
    TTL value is ok.

Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 01010000 (80)

Precedence (priority) = 010 (immediate)
    Delay = 1 (low delay)
    Throughput = 0 (normal throughput)
    Reliability = 0 (normal reliability)
    Cost = 0 (normal cost)
    Check bit = 0 (correct, 8th checking bit must be zero)

DiffServ (RFC 2474) = AF22 010 100 (20) - Assured Forwarding class 2, medium drop precedence (RFC 2597).