Thread: 2 DSL Lines on 1 Network

2 DSL Lines on 1 Network

Hello,
    I have been searching all over the internet to find an answer but I have had no luck. I found this forum and it looked like the best resource out there so I hope I am right.
    My question:
    I work for a small business of about 30 people. We were sharing 1 DSL line and over time that became a problem. We don't make enough money to afford a T1 so we purchased another DSL line.
    We have 2 DSL hubs going into 2 routers for DHCP that go into 2 Switches that feed the users. The switches are connected by a cat 5 cable. Everyone is on one network, but I am not sure it is working correctly. They have the worst stability I have ever seen. Connections to web apps like AIM drop all of the time without any warning. Other apps say that they don't have the same IP so they have to re-authenticate. The routers are on the same IP, and when I change them to two different IPs the network goes down. Network drives are inaccessible and everything seems to be on the edge of collapse.

What can I do to make one stable network out of two DSL lines where users can access each other and network drives and so on. Any help would be great.
    Thank you,
    -toe

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Get a load balancing router one with two wan ports then get rid of the hubs just keep it on switchs or hub out if still need

dual wan port router/switch/hub

Two routers one for each dsl line switch then keep one side one subnet the other on anohter subnet.

Dual wan is probably the best.
    Comptia a+ n+

mccoffee,
    Thank you so much! This answer is exactly what I needed and had no clue that it exists. Thank you very much!

Thanks,
    -toe

if you dont have alot of cash flow... you can setup one pretty cheaply with a linux box, 3 NICs, and knowledge of ipchains or iptables

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I run a Linksys/Cisco RV082 at home...RV016 is another good model (082 is 8 port switch, 016 is a 16 port)

Here's a screenie of the main setup page...see the 2x different IP addresses?

If one connection goes down...it dumps all traffic to the other interface. Visa versa. Also can "load balance" the traffic.

The RV0 series is a very good line of routers...very stable, very fast. Rich in features...such as being a VPN host for staff to securely remote access your networks resources. I've installed over a dozen of these routers...rock solid.

Right now your stability issue is due to having 2x DHCP services on the same network...you can't do that. Your workstations are all screwd up wondering which one to listen to....you're getting different gateway and DNS information all the time.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Dns

I have a question

How do you configurate de DNS in the DHCP, because Now yo have to 4 dns servers, 2 per conection

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I run a Linksys/Cisco RV082 at home...RV016 is another good model (082 is 8 port switch, 016 is a 16 port)

Here's a screenie of the main setup page...see the 2x different IP addresses?

If one connection goes down...it dumps all traffic to the other interface. Visa versa. Also can "load balance" the traffic.

The RV0 series is a very good line of routers...very stable, very fast. Rich in features...such as being a VPN host for staff to securely remote access your networks resources. I've installed over a dozen of these routers...rock solid.

Right now your stability issue is due to having 2x DHCP services on the same network...you can't do that. Your workstations are all screwd up wondering which one to listen to....you're getting different gateway and DNS information all the time.