Thread: Just bough a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G

Just bough a Linksys Wireless G WRT54G

I got the version 5. Anyone have any problem with this router? I want to know before i hook this up. My other linksys died on me so i decided to buy this while i was out at the computer shop.

I bought the same router and matching network card last weekend. The set-up was easy and it only took minutes to get online.

I couldn't however connect to the other computers in my home network. I also found out prior to purchasing the router that the v5 needs the latest firmware update. The software will find it.

However what I found odd was that the instructions to install it say you must do so from a wired computer. So I couldn't do it with the network card I bought. I had to go to the other computer and download and install it.

I did end up returning the router and card after trying it for a couple of days. Basically because there was no improvement in my internet speed, in fact I tested it on a few sites and it was actually slower on my system (an AMD based). On the other main system it was the same speed as my Linksys 802.11b standard router.

This is just my experience. I have read that NetGear routers and cards have an issue with AMD systems, so I don't know if this is the issue I had with the Linksys.

As in anything else, YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Betty

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by silkman
    I got the version 5. Anyone have any problem with this router? I want to know before i hook this up. My other linksys died on me so i decided to buy this while i was out at the computer shop.
    The version 5's aren't doing to well....the severely cut back on the CPU speed and RAM. If you can find a version 1-4 still on the shelves...get that, or a GL model. The latest firmware on the version 5 is needed...first few versions were buggy.

Better yet...shoot for SRX models...such as the wrt54gx4.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!