Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Gas Thread......

Quote Originally Posted by minir
    Hi Prey

They've just busted our cherry at $1 buck a litre here. Acceptance is slowly coming around on that point, now watch as it climbs to $1.50 over the next few months.

This while the Oil Companies are wallowing in obscene profits which is unconscionable imho

Diesels are the future me thinks.
    --

minir

Bio deisel, run a resturant and use the french fry oil for your car lol

$1.75 /gal was my breaking point. After that, I began cutting down on discretionary spending and driving as little as possible. (read "little as possible" as 22,000 miles/yr) I guess cutting out extra spending altogether is next.

I'm no economist, but the way I see it, for every extra penny I pay at the pump, there is one less penny for me to put back into the rest of the economy. Someday after the long-term economic effects of all this oil inflation really sets in and we find our country on the virge of another major depression, Uncle Sam will begin to ask why so many markets went down the tubes.

Oops, sorry Uncle Sam, I tried to go out and spend money in the plethora of discretionary markets available to me in this fine country, but I just don't seem to have the extra money available anymore. Oh well, don't frown Uncle Sam, you may be able to sell your discretionary goods & services to someone else overseas or to those who are wealthier than I. We still have a lot of wealthy people in this country, right Uncle Sam? Huh? Whats that? The rich people are losing money too because their markets are declining? Sorry to hear that Uncle Sam, but you might want to go see why those in the oil markets are still smiling so big while the vast majority of us are now spending so little on discretionary goods & services.

The point I'm getting at: Nothing will matter and nothing will change until the wealthiest pockets begin to feel the pinch and long before the wealthy folks feel the pinch, those financially below them will be squeezed right out of the picture and left to fend for themselves, hence the reason I believe this mess will eventually spiral out of control.

<<<looks out window at suspicious black van parked outside>>>

Then again, I'm probably thinking way too into all this and in reality everything is going to be peachy and I'll still have beer and ice cream in my fridge forever, w00t!!

LONG LIVE BEER AND ICE CREAM!!

<<<looks out window again as black van pulls away>>>>
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

You have to have it.. and the oil companies are blaming the auto industry for not making better vehicals that use less and the auto industry is blaming the oil companies for making huge profits and not relaxing the price.. I'm sorry but I think the auto industry is right and 20+ BILLION in a profit is going where????????

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    You have to have it.. and the oil companies are blaming the auto industry for not making better vehicals that use less and the auto industry is blaming the oil companies for making huge profits and not relaxing the price.. I'm sorry but I think the auto industry is right and 20+ BILLION in a profit is going where????????

To pay people to vacation and think of ways to rob comsumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    Don't forget that MUCH higher fuel efficiency has been more than possible for decades but those device patents are held by the oil industry, of course.

GM & Ford already make and sell thousands of popular model cars, SUV's & trucks that run on cheaper alternative feuls, they just build them and sell them in other countries that can't quite afford normal gas prices.

In Argentina, when you're not driving behind a Pugueot taxi or a Fiat, you are most likely behind a Ford Focus or Chevy "1.8L Turbo" Blazer running on alternative fuel.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    When they run out of beer, the taxi cab delivery service is just a phone call away.
    LOL Hey I've used that service in Cape Breton back in the day but that was because I couldn't drive due to drinking.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Got rid of my Tundra for a Scion tC mostly because of the gas prices....I have a ~500 mi/wk commute.

its like 2.89$/gal here

Quote Originally Posted by minir
    Hi Prey

They've just busted our cherry at $1 buck a litre here. Acceptance is slowly coming around on that point, now watch as it climbs to $1.50 over the next few months.

This while the Oil Companies are wallowing in obscene profits which is unconscionable imho

Diesels are the future me thinks.
    --

minir
    Down here, Diesel is more expensive then regular gas, so your not winning at all.

Drove together to work with the wife today, dear Lord will this be torture. She's not a morning person and always cranky in the AM.....got to work 10 min's late. Only going to this 2-3 times per week.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

There are a few things you can do besides trying to consume less gas.

First, write your congressmen and ask them why in all the years they knew this was coming, they didn't stand up to the auto industry and insist on better gas mileage instead of relaxing the standards under Bush II.

Ask why they haven't insisted on stiffer energy conservation laws over the past 30 years.

Ask them why they haven't insisted on more funds into alternative forms of energy. Especially those with less green house gas emissions.

Lastly, ask them cowards why they didn't take Cheney to task over his closed door energy sessions 6 years ago.

So far after 6 letters, I've yet to get a real response from mine, other than the typical form letter....Dear, Mr. downhill, thank you for writing to the honorable Sen. XXXXXX. Mr. XXXXXX will have to take some time to research your questions and will get back to you.

sure

Congress will only respond to two things. Money or public outcry. Throw the bums out.

When it costs $11 to fill my gsxr1000 something is wrong. They say we will be paying $3.00+ for the summer.
    AMD X2 4800+ AC freezer pro 64 cooler, ASUS A8N prem. 2G OCZ platinum PC3200, eVGA 8800GTS 640MB, 37G SATA Raptor, OCZ 700W PSU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs99
    Down here, Diesel is more expensive then regular gas, so your not winning at all.
    --

Hi blebs

Sometimes a Nickel or Dime more, or other places less, however the difference in the Mileage is where the savings lay.

You can almost double the mileage of most Vehicles by using Diesel and also save on parts for tuneups etc. It really is a considerable savings over Gas.

A VW Golf Diesel is a very practical car and yet offers pretty close to a regular powered car performance and comfort blebs.

---

regards

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGoFOOLS
    They say we will be paying $3.00+ for the summer.
    Went to fill up this morning....$3.04 or $3.07 a gallon. 3-5 times a week now...it's 40 bucks to stop 'n fill.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Went to fill up this morning....$3.04 or $3.07 a gallon. 3-5 times a week now...it's 40 bucks to stop 'n fill.
    WOW, you drive a lot!! How big is the tank? You drive a Jeep, right? That's the price for regular?
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    WOW, you drive a lot!! How big is the tank? You drive a Jeep, right? That's the price for regular?

Yup I often drive a lot...it varies...some down weeks I'm not going far...but other weeks..I'll be all over the place. Past few weeks did a lot of work down around New Haven.

Gas tank in the Liberty is somewhere around 20 gallons..forget if it's 19.something or 20.something.

I drive with a relentless lead foot...90-ish everywhere...and the 3.7L in the Jeep is thirsty as heck when doing so.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ah, yeah, lead foot will win everytime LOL! I've been driving miss daisy recently and the mileage calculator on the Trailblazer stays above 23MPG on the highway, some flat stretches, will hit 27. Have been staying at or below 75 on the NY Thruway, in the right lane, watching everyone fly by me Sometimes I just wanna step on it and hear the intake scream, but my better judgement keeps me in check

i know ive said it before... the Suburban has a 40 GALLON gas tank sittin under her! so, are they going to start implementing a quick-loan form at the pumps soon?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version