Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Gas Thread......

Another Gas Thread......

What's your breaking point? How high does gas have to get before you say enough is enough and start riding a bike or you sell your car and get a mini compact car. There've been many failed attemps to boycot gas companies with no one really taking it serious cause we need our cars. But how high does it got to get before you put your foot down and take some serious changes in your gasoline usage... Gas could hit $4.00 gallon this summer...

Gas up by me is at about $2.80 and about $.20 more in the city. Trailblazer has a 22 gal tank, which normally last me 5 days due to my spirited driving Now i've been taking it easy and it's been last me 8 days, using cruise control more on the highway and staying below 70. Also after doing some research, I ignored the tire PSI rating for the factory tires (30/35) and made them 40/40, with the max PSI being 45. Gas mileage went up, and acceleration is smoother, though at the price of a slightly rougher ride. I don't regret getting the TB, since it's been giving me very good gas mileage recently for it being such a large SUV. But I read somewhere something about $5+ per gallon. Now if it got that bad, I would have to get rid of the DVR/HD cable box, get regular cable and chop down the bandwidth on my ISP

NOT driving isn't an option for me, since driving is what gets me to my paycheck........

Exxon just past Walmart on the Fortune 500 list and is now # 1, gee, I wonder why? Def some price gouging going on!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

At current prices I think we spend about $140 a month on gas, it's definitely eating into our fun money. Hope prices drop but I know it's not likely. I'm really lucky because I have a company vehicle to drive to and from work, that probably saves me $75 a month in gas. Not to mention wear & tear on my vehicle.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

We spend about 160 a month on my car alone, then my wifes car is another 140, and her daily commute is about double of mine. Will def take less trips into the city on the weekends, gonna have to find myself a local church LOL
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Almost 1 year no car. No gas pump , no insurance premiums(175 month), no registration fees, no inspection fees for me.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    Almost 1 year no car. No gas pump , no insurance premiums(175 month), no registration fees, no inspection fees for me.

Pie

I wish I could pull that off.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    We spend about 160 a month on my car alone, then my wifes car is another 140, and her daily commute is about double of mine.
    So your big manly Trailblazer costs over 2 times as much to drive? How about getting a more reasonable vehicle and then you can start complaining.

Gas will not go down, when does the price of any highly demanded commodity ever go down? Sure you may get a few cents here or there but overall it's just going to continue to climb.

gas will have to be like 3.5-4.5 for me to affect my driving habits. I drive like 100/120 miles a week, so i fill up 2/3 times a month.

i average at about 100 per month

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    So your big manly Trailblazer costs over 2 times as much to drive? How about getting a more reasonable vehicle and then you can start complaining.

Gas will not go down, when does the price of any highly demanded commodity ever go down? Sure you may get a few cents here or there but overall it's just going to continue to climb.
    LOL, I wouldn't give it up unless it was time for a new car. And I don't pay that much more for the TB than I do for the 4 cylinder Altima that the wife drives. I'd be complaining even if I had a 4 banger that got 30+ MPG....the point is that a price jump of $.50 in a span of about 3 weeks is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman

Pie
    Not quite as lucky as you, but the wife and I both walk to work so our bill is significantly less then most.

My wife and I take the same route to work, only she gets off 2 exits after me. Considering just taking 1 car to work, she drops me off at my job, and she continues on to hers, and she picks me up in the afternoon, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I live a mile from work and 3/8 mile from my happy hour spot. I dont spend much on gas, I fill up once a month, sometimes get 5 weeks out of a tank. Winter a little more because of longer idle. My 2001 car has only 34k miles on it. My old ladies car otoh is her shopping/soccer mom car which has 10k on it and its a 2005. Our long trips will be hampered by gas prices. We may even have to drop our daughter's paper route unless they can give her one near home. Not worth the gas.

independant contractor/courier here... doin about $200 bux a week...and thats just fuel... im about done with this job because of the prices... i can work just about anywhere and make about the same amount im "bringing home"...

please someone, let me know when the revolution is comes!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    My wife and I take the same route to work, only she gets off 2 exits after me. Considering just taking 1 car to work, she drops me off at my job, and she continues on to hers, and she picks me up in the afternoon, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Now you're thinking! Even if it wasn't every day, every bit helps.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Heh...Cisco engineer...wonder what his Porsche or BMW M series gets for mileage.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Couldn't pay me enough to commute 7 hrs a day.

Broke
    I'm thinkin of goin on Welfare like some of the scum that lives near me. In the yard with a box of beer by 10 am. In the house when the sun goes down, go to bed, wake up and do it all again.
    When they run out of beer, the taxi cab delivery service is just a phone call away.

Blog Entries
    Hi Prey

They've just busted our cherry at $1 buck a litre here. Acceptance is slowly coming around on that point, now watch as it climbs to $1.50 over the next few months.

This while the Oil Companies are wallowing in obscene profits which is unconscionable imho

Diesels are the future me thinks.
    --

minir

Not driving is also not an option for me. Since I still live in the boondocks, there is no public transportation in this area. I could drive the ten miles into town to make use of it, however some of my work locations are also not on their route or even close. I also have to have that flexibility for my patients, so not much choice!

Gas in our area rose 14 cents in the last two days. What I can and have done about it is to organize my driving trips a bit better, and map out a route for doing several chores at one time. I try to do my running for all supplies, etc. once a week, and make a loop so to speak of the places I need to go...thus cutting down mileage, gas use and employing a much more direct path...thus eliminating criss crossing, extra miles etc. It's maddening!!
    Mystical Folding Minx