Thread: trouble accessing the config. page of my Dlink router

trouble accessing the config. page of my Dlink router

I recently tried to reset my dlink router due to a power outage that occured (dlink was plugged into a surge protector)

When I tried to access the router @ 192.168.0.1 to reconfig, nothing comes up. I have power cycled the router a few times still nothing. Could this power interrupt have damaged the router, if so is there anyway to test the router without being able to access it directly?

Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What IP address does your PC have after rebooting?

Start==>Run==>CMD
    ipconfig <enter>

IP Address is _____

exit <enter> to get rid of the command prompt
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yeah im gonna have to go with yeoldestonecat on this one... give us a ipconfig output... see if you did a factory reset on your dlink router... then 192.168.0.1 is the deault internal ip address for the router... if your ipconfig output shows an ipaddres of somthing like "192.168.0.100"... then you probably want to do "ping 192.168.0.1" to make sure you have contectivity to the router at this point... see if you get ping replys.. if you dont get ping replys... or you dont have an ip that looks like that one i was talking aobut earlier.. then you might want to try a different port on the router.. i have had power surges knock out random ports on a router before... any way... keep us updated and we can help figure out what the issue is

I will look at the ip for the pc today, as well as ping the default ip for the router (192.168.0.1). As far as changing ports on the router, it is currently in the wan port coming from the modem/router(netopia). If for some reason the wan port was not working but other ports on the router were, I could still hook into the wlan ports 1-4 and be good right?

Setup : Netopia modem/router - dlink (wan port)

the reason i added the dlink was because some computers on the network were not picking up the signal for the netopia but dlink picked up. (post on this in wireless networking)

Thanks, I will post ip address on comp. later today

Great forum by the way!

ip address on the pc wireless network adap with ip config is 192.168.1.1
    ip on lan shows media disconnected

Tried to ping each port on the router and could not @ 192.168.0.1 after reset

I am currently on the wireless network as i type this, available wireless net work on my comp. shows 0000 0000 and i can connect to this unsecured network which is the dlink. But cant access the config. page for the dlink.

ok so is your network connection enabled? if so... is your connection setup to use DHCP to obtain an ip automatically?

my wireless connection on my pc is set up to obtain ip automatically.

I can check the admin page of the netopia (first router) and see that three ip addresses were given out by it, all pc's, shouldnt the dlink have been assigned an ip also (it is not listed on the leases).

Thanks for all the help, as u can tell im new to setting up networks

oooo there is more in play here... explain how you have your whole network setup... what is plugged into what etc... see when you were first asking you only mentioned the dlink router... i was assumeing you had this hooked to your broadband connection and then computers hooked to it... so... explain to me EXACTLY how you have EVERYTHING connected on your network

p.s. is the netopia just a router or is it a DSL modem as well? does it have wireless?

Quote Originally Posted by Britten
    oooo there is more in play here... explain how you have your whole network setup... what is plugged into what etc... see when you were first asking you only mentioned the dlink router... i was assumeing you had this hooked to your broadband connection and then computers hooked to it... so... explain to me EXACTLY how you have EVERYTHING connected on your network

Ok, the netpia is hooked to the dsl (netopia is modem and router also wireless cap.) the ssid on the netopia is i.e. x. this ssid of x can only be picked up by certain laptops, why, i dont know yet. So from the netopia I hooked up the DI-524 router (from port 1 of netopia to wan port of dlink) in order to pick up the network for the other laptops, and at this point the dlink broadcast 0000 0000 because i cant access the config. page for the dlink. All laptops are able to pick up the 0000 0000 broadcast, but some are having problems such as limited connectivity @ certain times and are able to connect sometimes.

This access point is at a firestation, so i am going for ease of use connecting to the network, as well as some security. Keep im mind there would be four or five different comp.s connecting to it everyday.

We changed the name of 1 comp that was not connecting i.e. laptop1 to laptop 2 and it connected to the network. Why would this make a difference if the mac id remained the same? Dont know if this was just a coincidence or not.

You don't want the Netopia and DLink to both hand out IP's. Disable DHCP on the DLink and change it's IP address manually to a static IP in the same range as the Netopia. If the Netopia's IP is 192.168.1.1, then make the DLink 192.168.1.5
    If your IP of the laptop is in a different range than the DLink, you won't connect to it.
    You might need to change your laptop's IP to a static IP in the same range as the DLink (say 192.168.0.10) and then try to connect to it's config page. Then you can change the DLink's IP to match the range of the Netopia.
    Then go back and change the IP of the laptop to auto config.
    Hope this helps.