Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cool source forge app

cool source forge app

I've tried this freebie app that is supposed to speed up your apps.

I have it running with no problems on 2 boxes. It works pretty darn good, so I thought I'd post it. There is warning that it can cause some systems to hang- but I've had no problems, only benefits.

I'm only folding on one box. Well, after installing this app, the large WU I'm working on, the scheduled finish was April 15...as soon as I installed this app and resumed F@H, (I closed all running apps before install) the WU is scheduled to finish April 9. 6 days off the WU completion! Not bad...

On my other box, my apps are running a bit faster. I'm really pleased with this one.

7MAX info

7MAX download

I'm using ver 4.01.

It was created by the developer of 7-ZIP...which is working great for me, I do a ton of archiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Cool, I'll give it a try on a test system.

EDIT: Looks like it just adds /3GB /NOPAE switches, then reserves some ram for 7max
    Last edited by YARDofSTUF; 04-09-06 at 01:18 PM.

Well I loaded F@H into the 7max thing and so far all it did was cause an unkown gromacs error and delete my current wu.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Well I loaded F@H into the 7max thing and so far all it did was cause an unkown gromacs error and delete my current wu.
    holy crap!

I have all older boxes...it's working ok on mine.

are you running console F@H? if so, need to use 7-MAXC. it's in the help file.

I should've also posted to read the help file...I seem to have operator error syndrome today.

Sorry to hear that happened to you YoS, I haven't had any probs myself.

Now I just went in and double checked my 7-MAX config...hmmm...it's showing "0M" on the apps I've attached 7Max to. Odd. I swear everything appears to be running faster. On my folding rig, same thing. Something definately sped up my folding. And i also had operator error there too...the April 15 and April9 dates- that's just for current frame end. WU scheduled to complete-get this- Oct 2! OMG.

I'll poke around on the 7MAX forum, need to do more research on this app, prolly jumped the gun a little...posted this too soon I think now. But I haven't had any probs...I absolutley wouldn't have posted this if I'd had any probs.

I'll post anything useful I can find on this app.

really sorry that happened to you YoS.

I honestly thought this app to be useful, it's working ok for me or so it appears.

I hate when this kind of stuff happens.

I'm using 7max and its running fah, has 0 megs used too beacuse the memory usage is so low.

Its no biggie, the system I have it on is basically a tester/folder only.

Leaving the 7max window open draws 2% cpu usage almost constant. 7max's help file says that windows xp does a bad job of managing memory? The guy writting the help file should talk when he has an unstable app that plays with it lol

Leaving the 7max window open draws 2% cpu usage almost constant. 7max's help file says that windows xp does a bad job of managing memory? The guy writting the help file should talk when he has an unstable app that plays with it lol
    LOL.

This app was supposed to speed up folding- not delete the WU's.

So are you still playing with 7Max? if so I'd really appreciate it if you'd keep me informed here. I have another folding friend waiting to hear your outcome. But it sure doesn't look good. I'm using the recommended 25% of my RAM for 7MAX.

Thanks for not getting mad at me bro, I really meant to be helpful with this post. I just about crapped in my pants when I saw your post.
    makes me wanna not ever post anything like this again.

I haven't been too well this weekend, if you noticed I haven't been on the boards until this morning. I dunno, I should've tested this longer and checked into it a bit more- just cuz I have no issues w/ it didn't mean anyone else wouldn't. I've been running it since weds.

i know i did post that there was a warning about possible sytem hang, but that doesn't make me feel any better about what happened to you. Damn.

I swear something sped up my folding, and it happened right after installing 7MAX-and my other box seems to be running better. ??? maybe I'm just losing my marbles. prolly am.

I will do some checking into it and post whatever I find. I have a case of barfing that's come on this afternoon, just got back from the store to get Pepto Bismol. taking a few different meds today and they don't seem to agree with me. (so what's new lol)

Ya I'm using there recommended setup, try some others later. Need to snag a memory heavy WU.

I pretty much do large WU's all the time. They take at least a week for me, sometimes more.

I'm guessing? the 7Max helped by speeding up my a/v and anti-spyware apps?

Starting to wonder if this is one of those useless apps. I expect that since my boxes are all older, and 7Max is supposed to give the biggest increase on these type of boxes, I will see more improvement than you guys w/ newer equipment.

I just looked at my WU again...it went from like i think it was 28 mins per frame (that would be about right for that Oct 2 date) to now it's 57 secs a frame.
    and showing april 15 for WU end. it's done a few hundred frames since i checked a couple hours ago. I'm already getting confused, gotta start writing this info down as I test this out.

it sure would be nice if this app does speed up the folding.

thanks for staying w/ this thread YoS.

YoS,
    Are you using the console ver of F@H? are you using any tweaks to F@H?

I want to post in the 7Max forum, the developer is pretty good about making prompt responses. So i'd like as much info as possible, plus I have to look at F@H forum too and gather some info.

There are some postings about changing the min block size that helped in some cases.

Did find something important: May cause XP SP1 to crash! The /3Gb switch is a prob in SP1. MS KB ink

definately didn't do my homework on this one...a lesson learned when recommending an app.

from the 7Max forum, some users also claim to have gotten increases in some games- but developer says 7Max only helps apps that use physical RAM...

Ya I use F@H console.

Ya I use F@H console.
    Thanks YoS.

I asked about the tweaks cuz my friend is hard core folding and has done some tweaks on all her boxes for folding. Running Beta 5.04 console version on all boxes, using EM111 to track all projects, boxes programmed for best performance, all screen savers shut down, things which eat cpu usage and memory. She won't be a happy camper if she puts 7Max on and it crashes F@H. And then of course if there is a way to get more out of folding by using 7Max, anyone else can do that too. I'm giving this one a top priority for this week. hopefully my body will co-operate.

I'll gather info, do research, than post something here as soon as I have something.

Please lemme know here if anything else happens in the meanwhile. Thanks.

7maxc

command line to be used for running console apps with 7MAX

in case anybody else is brave like YoS...

and read the help file. I'm working on gathering info.

Where do u see this 7maxc thing I dont see mention of it.

Where do u see this 7maxc thing I dont see mention of it.
    YoS,

In the 7MAX help file, open the General Information section (under Contents tab) scroll down...it's just one tiny bit of info, and it's nowhere on the 7MAX site or on Source Forge page.

Using command line. Type in command line:
    7max program_name [parameters]
    For console applications you can use 7maxc instead.
    The 7MAX site could really use a little work...

There's a few interesting things in the 7MAX forum that should be on the main site...take this console app thing for example. It's not even in the forum. So I expect we are the first ones using it for a console app.

The developer, Igor Pavlov, is a Russian dude I believe. I've actually "spoke' with him in email a few times, he's pretty cool, and he is prompt to respond to email and the forum.

7-ZIP has seen much more exposure than this app, it's newer, there's a wiki on it, and I think more people have more use for the archiver 7-ZIP and prolly contibuted to the 7-ZIP site...there's a whole page of 7-ZIP logos contributed by users from across the globe.

from what I'm seeing on the 7MAX forum, I suspect Pavlov isn't getting enough feedback on this app. How much can one man test his own app? And without much feedback, that would seem to indicate a lack of interest by users, so that may also have an effect on how much time he spends developing this app.

If this app works to speed up Folding, either by speeding up the background services and freeing up resources for F@H, or speeding F@H itself, hell, I'll volunteer to add some info to his page.

I'm still not sure why I saw a gain in F@H ...but my Folding is so slow I'd figured what have I got to lose by trying it. And it is designed to give the biggest gains to older boxes like mine.

I'll try to put some kind of definitive post on 7MAX here today. I can shoot Igor an email but I think he's 9 or 10 hours ahead of us.

This app is primarily designed for apps that use large amounts of physical RAM...again I'm not sure why I saw an increase. Maybe there is something else he can do to it...he may have some suggestions for adjustments to the settings that could be useful to us. I know we talked about the 0Mb thing yesterday... I'm hoping there's an adjustment to the settings that can be used for us.

Pavlov wrote this in a reply on the forum:
    I can write about purposes of 7-max.
    I write 7-zip compression program. And some time ago I discovered that memory access is slower than it can be. It's because windows uses 2-levels mode inside CPU for virtual memory management. But all modern CPUs allow 1-level mode for virtual memory management. It's slightly more complex for system (windows) to use such mode, since it requires some more smart algorithms. But there is some speed gain for some programs. So I rewrite that code to use 1-level mode (4 MB pages).
    CPUs that have advantage in sorted order:
    Duron (most advantage)
    Celeron
    Pentium 4
    Athlon
    Athlon-64 (less advantage).
    When L2 cache is small advantage is larger.
    If Intel will release CPU without L2, 7max will give big gain for it.

2) If it says that it is still occupying 0mb of 7-max memory, there will no any gain.

To get gain:
    1) start 7-max,
    2) start Application with 7-max.
    3) Check that it allocates memory via 7-max.
    4) close 7-max to reduce overhead of 7-max program itself.
    5) use Application.

It's better if you will not use hibernation and stand-by with 7-max. Windows does not know about memory part allocated to 7-max.
    So I'm still trying to figure out why I'm seeing a gain in F@H.

I thought it is interesting that Vista/2003/64-bit provides the API for 7MAX, but he's creating the API for use in Win 2K and XP SP2.

7MAX has been successfully used to get a 5% gain in encoding mpeg2 files...and that particular user mentioned testing it on Virtual Dub and xvid but then posted nothing further.

Some gamers found a few tweaks to the settings, forum
    Socket A
    7max Version 4.01
    Windows SP2
    512MB, using 128MB for 7max

Options:
    Use MTRR
    Minimum Block size: 128KB
    Use fast working method

I'm looking for alternative progs to speed up F@H too...

Ya I'll look it over pretty good. The WU that started after the failed one is on 60, and I want to see it finish, then i'll try tweaking it a bit and testing what it can do.

The idea shows potenial, but theres not much to speeding apps up with software.

If this app really does work, the gain you are, or feel you are seeing is related to the WUs with a large memory draw.

I think that 6 FPS post is BS though.

Ya I'll look it over pretty good. The WU that started after the failed one is on 60, and I want to see it finish, then i'll try tweaking it a bit and testing what it can do.

The idea shows potenial, but theres not much to speeding apps up with software.

If this app really does work, the gain you are, or feel you are seeing is related to the WUs with a large memory draw.

I think that 6 FPS post is BS though.
    Thanks for your input on this YoS.

yeah, I'm just not sure what to make of the increase in F@H that I think I'm seeing. it is a large WU, but I've only done 6 WU's so far and haven't really paid that much attention to the speed of F@H so no data for me to make a conclusion. When I installed F@H, I had just kinda accepted that the box is an old piece of crap from a dumpster, and whatever I get, that's all I'm gonna get out of F@H. Just started looking last week for something to try and tweak a little more out of F@H, found this app and I thought I had something. I really could swear it is speeding up both PC's, both are dogs...I had too many probs with the other box, my main rig, to keep F@H running on it. I've done a bunch of tweaks to it to run my apps, but junk is junk. I still have that 17" box fan and the case open to control that overheating prob. I have a mobo coming from rivas and I can hardly wait, then will turn this main into a dedicated folder along with the current one, and fold on the new one as well.

That 6 FPS? I know absolutely nothing about gaming, never been into it. but I'm sure you're right!

YoS,
    Damn I went to sleep again, just got up.

I've got a few F@H helper apps to try out, and I'm holding off on sending email to Pavlov...want to get as much info as possible. I'm going to try a few open source apps i found, just grasping at straws I think, but maybe something open source can be modified (part of reason holding off on email).

F@H core is now using 4Mb of 7MAX memory! That's an improvement, it was showing 0MB yesterday. Don't see any further change in speed, but don't have any benchmarking apps installed, on my list of to do tonite.

I tried multiple clients when I first started folding...it was dogging them all though. I'm going try an F@H manager app tonite, install 8 service clients, use with 7MAX, and see what happens. I'll try it on my main rig, not doing anything with it anyway. If it gets hosed, oh well. I moving all my data to the other hdd just in case.

Did you try that 7maxc command? I'm gonna try it tonite.

email sent to developer of 7-MAX.

I'll post info I get from him, prolly have an email reply in the morning if he is still like he used to be.

adding benchmarking tools tonite...