Thread: Cant see other computers on network

Cant see other computers on network

I am trying to network my laptop and my desktop together and I have run network wizard and gone through everything. I can share my internet connection fine, however I cant see the other shared folders and computers. I have made sure that I am on the same workgroup and file sharing is enabled, both computers are running windows xp. I can ping the other workstations however i cant acces them in anyway. Can anybody help? thanks.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you click on start==>run==>and type in \\<ip address of other computer> what do you get?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I get a message saying "Network path was not found".

Sounds like the built-in Windows XP firewall may have been turned on by the wizard. Try going into your network card properties >advanced tab and disable the firewall, then try Stonecat's method again and see if you get different results. Also be sure the XP firewall isn't turned on at the other computer.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

It worked thanks but now i am unprotected becuase my firewall is down

I still cant see the computers or shared files on my network places even though i can connect to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gambrill
    It worked thanks but now i am unprotected becuase my firewall is down
    If you are not protected by a router, then you can go back into the firewall and add the file sharing as an exception, then turn the firewall back on. I just recommend disabling it for troubleshooting reasons.. Now you know where the problem is.

Do you have some shares already setup on the remote PC?

Give the systems a reboot.. it might take a few minutes before the computers realize they are on the same NetBIOS workgroup. Make sure both ends are setup the same way and that file and print sharing is enabled.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

I dont want to keep bothering you with this, but I realy dont want to keep my firewall off and I still cant see the computers although I can manualy add a shared folder by goinng to add network place. The firewall already has file sharing as an exception but nothing works, even with this, when the firewall is on. Is there anyway of leaving the firewall on and allowing the computers to see each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gambrill
    Is there anyway of leaving the firewall on and allowing the computers to see each other.
    Yes, by adding the exceptions to the windows XP firewall rules. You need NetBIOS on that list as well so you can use My Network Places to browse. If you are browsing the internet from behind a router, then the router IS your real firewall and you really don't have to worry too much.. But if your computer is receiving a public IP address, then yeah, you should definitely enable it again and try to work out the sharing issue using exceptions.

You can't create a share by using "add a network place".. "Add a network place" is for telling your computer where the share was already created so that it can add that to your local network places. To actually setup a share, you go to the host PC and right click a folder and enable sharing on that folder.

I have managed to acsess shared folders behind the windows firewall and I have enabled NetBIOS. The only problem I have now is that the other computers do not show up and shared folders do not show up unless I direct the computer to it e.g. add network place - \\home\music.