Thread: HD recommendation

Post HD recommendation

I used to be a devout Western Digital follower, but I am not so sure now. Not since my storage hard drive(WD) crashed, so I am looking for a very reliable EIDE ATA/100 drive around 30 gigs in size. Can someone recommend a good one?

Oh yeah, also is there a site somewhere which discusses upstream tweaking under Win2k? And what is the actual difference between Win2k pro and server, besides the included software I assume.

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: 3v1l807 ]

andrewe77

IBM is the way to go

get a 7200 rpm model

[ 04-06-2001: Message edited by: andrewe77 ]

IBM 7200

I heard from a guy that works at a local PC shop that maxtors can cause incompatibility problems in some hardware configurations, Havent heard anything else about it though so dont take it as fact.

Lightbulb

I'm a big fan of the Western Digital HDs. I haven't had any of mine crap out but I'm sure it will happen. I run into problems with the Maxtor drives over time. I do not recommend those. The IBM's on the other hand are a good drive. Several of the models (if not all of them) are really Seagate drives. I can't vouch for the IDE drives but I know for a fact that a lot of the SCSI IBM (Ultrastar series) are Seagates. Seagates a good brand, I'd recommend them as well.

I have 4 40 gig 7200 rpm Quantam fireballs
    in my RAID array (they were 119 bucks at frys !!!!)
    and they work great!!!
    Quantam merged with maxtor so anything with the name quantam has to go !! CHEAP!!!
    see if that helps ya any...

Scuzzi McGui

Thumbs up

I just bought a maxtor 30 gig ultra ata 100 7200 rpm.
    I have had good luck with this brand for a few years =no crashes. $125 at comp-u-plus.

5400rpm is less than 100 bucks.

Arrow

If you're running an older computer, make sure your BIOS can recognize large hard drives. Some hard drive vendors supply software workarounds for this issue.

I'm telling you this because you didn't post the size of the drive you're planning to replace, and into what kind of computer.

Happy shopping, and enjoy your new monster drive!

ghost

Thanks for all the advice, my main drive was an IBM Deskstar, the WD was my 'storage' drive, so I guess I'll get another IBM.

Richard

if you don't already know Tomshardware is One of the best sources of info his rewiews kick azz.. with that in mind look no futher than this link, (PS, read all, even the grey sidebar concerning HD's ) http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/...312/index.html

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Used to be a WD fan, not the fastest drive around, but they ran forever. Typically they run hot and slow, but forever. Then I found IBM Deskstars....fast, oh so fast. And the quietest drive you'll ever "not hear"....they run so quietly. Don't like Quantum at all, Maxtors and Seagates are ok. Just based on what I've seen in our service department, and the amount of machines I've worked on in my career, I've yet to replace an IBM drive cuz it went bad.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!