Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: I hate linux part II

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Ubuntu install a root account by default, you merley type sudo in command line for "super user do".
    It may set one up, but I never was instructed to give it a password, and the one I made for my user account didnt work for root.

I know it defaults to the home of the user, but it doesnt correctly list the directory im in until i goto anotehr folder adn then hit back, PITA when im in terminal and "think" im typing the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    It may set one up, but I never was instructed to give it a password, and the one I made for my user account didnt work for root.

I know it defaults to the home of the user, but it doesnt correctly list the directory im in until i goto anotehr folder adn then hit back, PITA when im in terminal and "think" im typing the right path.
    "sudo passwd root" to change the password and the user password setup at install is the root password

LOL, just takes some time to get used to.

"sudo passwd root" to change the password and the user password setup at install is the root password

LOL, just takes some time to get used to.

ok that changes it, but your saying that the password for my user account is the root password, by default?

EDIT: Slackware is gone, for the moment, since ubuntu is debian based and debian never liekd my card, im now trying to load debain to see if it'll take now. Debians apt-get is a much nicer way of integrating a new kernel, unlike slackware with having to compile.
    Last edited by YARDofSTUF; 04-08-06 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greEd
    It's all very simple once you get used to it. Trust me.
    That's what I told my wife about DOS when she married me and my PC! She used a MAC exclusively beforehand.

I had Ubuntu on a box for a while and my kids liked the retro games like G-nibbles, tetravex and stuff, but I too found it cumbersome installing apps. I re-visit various installs from time to time because I do have an interest.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66
    That's what I told my wife about DOS when she married me and my PC! She used a MAC exclusively beforehand.

I had Ubuntu on a box for a while and my kids liked the retro games like G-nibbles, tetravex and stuff, but I too found it cumbersome installing apps. I re-visit various installs from time to time because I do have an interest.
    It really is a pain the ass ...I guess i've ben spoiled by teh gui ...i mean to install firefox was a pain ...to get DNS working even more so...I've given up on that ..I mean to get anything running you gotta fart with 80000 different config files or read 50000 pages of documentation that isn't clear to begin with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    It really is a pain the ass ...I guess i've ben spoiled by teh gui ...i mean to install firefox was a pain ...to get DNS working even more so...I've given up on that ..I mean to get anything running you gotta fart with 80000 different config files or read 50000 pages of documentation that isn't clear to begin with ...
    Oh, common now, it's not that bad

Oh, common now, it's not that bad
    pretty close.

SG Enthusiast

Izz - you have realize that you are setting up services - not sure your professional IT background, but setting up a server generally requires a little more complicated steps than getting a desktop going.

I would not personally run a DNS server at home - host file is much better application. Some of the older systems on the net are very manual - DNS, Sendmail, Apache - and have config files all over.

One reason I like the BSDs a little better than linux is the docs. OpenBSD has some of the best documentation out there.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    Izz - you have realize that you are setting up services - not sure your professional IT background, but setting up a server generally requires a little more complicated steps than getting a desktop going.

I would not personally run a DNS server at home - host file is much better application. Some of the older systems on the net are very manual - DNS, Sendmail, Apache - and have config files all over.

One reason I like the BSDs a little better than linux is the docs. OpenBSD has some of the best documentation out there.

I have zero background ... I learn on the fly .... this DNS thing is simply a class project ...I have a piss poor instructor that take days to respond to questions .... there is little to no lab time and my time at home is limited to when my children are sleeping so i have non stop study time ... i basically said screw it ...took the 15 point loss and decided i'd try and pick it up elsewhere.

edit> and yeah ...this 'project' is 3 parts ...DNS, Sendmail and Apache....

I'm certainly not trying to set up a full time DNS server at home ..I have no interest in doing so.... was prety much just doing it for the class just to know how to do it and then move on ....

SG Enthusiast
    I have zero background ... I learn on the fly .... this DNS thing is simply a class project ...I have a piss poor instructor that take days to respond to questions .... there is little to no lab time and my time at home is limited to when my children are sleeping so i have non stop study time ... i basically said screw it ...took the 15 point loss and decided i'd try and pick it up elsewhere.

edit> and yeah ...this 'project' is 3 parts ...DNS, Sendmail and Apache....

I'm certainly not trying to set up a full time DNS server at home ..I have no interest in doing so.... was prety much just doing it for the class just to know how to do it and then move on ....
    I understand - just pointing out that some desktop installation/configuration tasks are far more simple (exception possibly X) than some of hte things you have been trying. Firefox notwithstanding

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I understand - just pointing out that some desktop installation/configuration tasks are far more simple (exception possibly X) than some of hte things you have been trying. Firefox notwithstanding

Sure....it seems that where I search though there are 6 different version of what I need to do ....prolly due to all the distros out ...

SG Enthusiast
    Sure....it seems that where I search though there are 6 different version of what I need to do ....prolly due to all the distros out ...
    Very true - again, this is why I prefer the BSDs for servers. THey have 'official' teams that perform each function (coding, docs, etc) so there is consistency and a 'single source'.

This is why Redhat and SuSe doi well - they offer docs specific to their distro and support the same.