Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I hate linux part II

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    No problem. Myself, I'm a Debian core man. Running Ubuntu Breezy on the lappy, but have installed and ran Etch for a few weeks. Gave up after having so many problems getting the hardware to work right.
    ...me too! I use straight Debian itself and APT package manager. It's so simple, if I want a package I open a cmd and type:
    apt-get install blah_blah
    and the rest is automatic.
    If I want to uninstall something I type:
    apt-get remove blah_blah
    and if I want to remove ALL of the package:
    apt-get --purge remove blah_blah or
    dpkg --purge blah_blah

This is real handy cause if I found I installed a package with unmet dependencies (almost impossible using apt) then I can --purge remove it all and start over.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye

With taht spirit you'll be a guru in no time.

Glad you worked it out.

Skye

EDIT - while for the 'hacking' experience and learning how things work, manual installs and configuration are great...if you plan on being a pro administrator, with a lot of boxes to manage, you WILL need to use automation. Learning the ins N outs of a package mgr is a very marketable skill.

Y'know....the funny thing my instructor in class suggests that I need to learn to do things manually in order to truly understand how things work ...which I can see but in a nutshell he contradicts your statement ...and to be honest I believe you more than I do him.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Y'know....the funny thing my instructor in class suggests that I need to learn to do things manually in order to truly understand how things work ...which I can see but in a nutshell he contradicts your statement ...and to be honest I believe you more than I do him.
    Not constradictory really - I would agree in general. I was just pointing out that learning how package managers work is not a waste of time. I was suggesting RPM for your web browser as that is a critical piece for learning - getting updates, reading articles, etc. If you are planning on managing webservers, I would suggest you learn how to roll your own first.

Learn how it works nuts n bolts first, then learn how to automate. Makes perfect sense to me.

To clarify, if you are applying for a job as a linux admin and you don't know server mgmt tools (mgmt, deployment, automation in general), they may pass you over. Can you do all those tasks through scripting? Of course, but it would take all your time to write and maintain those scripts. You can't deploy FF manually to 100 desktops...when it comes to troubleshooting, you need to know how to do things manually.

Hackers (classic definition) tend to use bubble gum (trial n error) which can leave a system less than clean - analogy is having a bunch of unused crap in the windows registry.

In the business world you want consistency, in reasearch/dev you want creativity. All depends on where you want to go with your experience.

Stick with what your instructor says - s/he is writing your report card
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    ...me too! I use straight Debian itself and APT package manager. It's so simple, if I want a package I open a cmd and type:
    apt-get install blah_blah
    and the rest is automatic.
    If I want to uninstall something I type:
    apt-get remove blah_blah
    and if I want to remove ALL of the package:
    apt-get --purge remove blah_blah or
    dpkg --purge blah_blah

This is real handy cause if I found I installed a package with unmet dependencies (almost impossible using apt) then I can --purge remove it all and start over.
    apt-get is based on BSD ports system - if you like that you would dig on FreeBSD or OpenBSD - the latter of which I am surprised you haven't tried yet. Most secure OS (by default install) out there. Makes one hell of a bastion server.

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

SG Enthusiast

BTW - I spoke with the kernel and he says he is starting to like you again, Izzo. It's a good day.

apt-get is based on BSD ports system - if you like that you would dig on FreeBSD or OpenBSD - the latter of which I am surprised you haven't tried yet. Most secure OS (by default install) out there. Makes one hell of a bastion server.
    Every time I attempted to install it I ran into one or another issue, most likely cause I am so used to the terribly simple Deb installer. The BSD installer is far from user friendly and contains terminology that I have yet to fully clear up for myself and understand. So every time I ended up returning to what I know, the Deb installer, and build it from ground up in less than an hour by installing using ftp or http.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Every time I attempted to install it I ran into one or another issue, most likely cause I am so used to the terribly simple Deb installer. The BSD installer is far from user friendly and contains terminology that I have yet to fully clear up for myself and understand. So every time I ended up returning to what I know, the Deb installer, and build it from ground up in less than an hour by installing using ftp or http.
    Sure - I'm not knocking linux at all. The BSDs are a little more stable due to their dedicated release teams - not the adhoc dev model that Linux uses (very successfully btw).

OpenBSD is incredibly stable - their team (IMO, correctly) feels that security risks mainly arise from sloppy coding or limitted design - so they are constantly auditing every line of code for correctness and simplicity. Makes for a VERY stable and secure OS. You should only need to reboot when updating the kernel or if you are playing with security levels.

Apache, for example, is chroot by default - apache vulnerabilities can only affect the overall system to a certain point. Memeory/process management is also very paranoid and prevents many exploits. But I wouldn't run it as a dedicated database server - linux is much better for that.

I spoke with the kernel and he says he is starting to like you again, Izzo.

I'm glad I learned unix from the ground up, it is worth it and now I can move around on most linux boxes with little problems. I need a spare box or laptop to install it for myself. I had to give back the HPUX 20 I had borrowed a while back for playing round with.

gentoo ;D emerge is fricken bueno..would have solved this issue from the get go since it takes care of depends properly....it is a little bit of a pain to setup tho hehe

BTW - I spoke with the kernel and he says he is starting to like you again, Izzo. It's a good day.

rofl.....his chicken rocks

SG Enthusiast
    rofl.....his chicken rocks

Even better - I own that book, BTW

Last edited by cyberskye; 03-28-06 at 03:19 PM.

ok ...I installed BIND and now i'm looking for the named.conf file to configure DNS ..I can't seem to find it and it isn't in the /etc directory ....I emailed for help but it's been 2 days and I really need to get this project done....what am I doing wrong ?

ok ...I installed BIND and now i'm looking for the named.conf file to configure DNS ..I can't seem to find it and it isn't in the /etc directory ....I emailed for help but it's been 2 days and I really need to get this project done....what am I doing wrong ?
    saw this here: http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/per...mandrake_10_2/ (btw, a great guide & apt IS available for mandriva!!!!!)
    DNS-Server

apt-get install bind

In the Manadrake BIND package there are a few files missing (e.g. /etc/named.conf), therefore BIND will not start when you run

/etc/init.d/named start

This is nothing to worry about because all needed files are created by ISPConfig as soon as you create your first DNS record with ISPConfig.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Code:
    #find / -name named.conf -print
    That should search the whole system for the file - works on any unix system.

Most linux distros install locate...
    Code:
    #updatedb
    (this updates the file database)
    Code:
    #locate named.conf
    (this searches for the named file)

Code:
    #find / -name named.conf -print
    That should search the whole system for the file - works on any unix system.

Most linux distros install locate...
    Code:
    #updatedb
    (this updates the file database)
    Code:
    #locate named.conf
    (this searches for the named file)
    yep ..did those last night ..searched the entire system and nada

saw this here: http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/per...mandrake_10_2/ (btw, a great guide & apt IS available for mandriva!!!!!)
    DNS-Server

apt-get install bind

In the Manadrake BIND package there are a few files missing (e.g. /etc/named.conf), therefore BIND will not start when you run

/etc/init.d/named start

This is nothing to worry about because all needed files are created by ISPConfig as soon as you create your first DNS record with ISPConfig.
    yep ...even looked there ...nothin'

ok ...found a named within /usr/sbin but when i try to open it with vi it looks encrypted ...suggestions ? ..not sure why i didnt see it before or when i searched(from the terminal and the gui)...I looked at the site last night and was follwoing those instructions ... is this the correct file ... ia ssume it is .

SG Enthusiast
    ok ...found a named within /usr/sbin but when i try to open it with vi it looks encrypted ...suggestions ? ..not sure why i didnt see it before or when i searched(from the terminal and the gui)...I looked at the site last night and was follwoing those instructions ... is this the correct file ... ia ssume it is .
    most things in /bin /usr/sbin are binary files - if you do
    Code:
    #file /usr/sbin/named
    it will prbably tell you so.

EDIT: have you run the ISPConfig proggie that Tony referenced?

most things in /bin /usr/sbin are binary files - if you do
    Code:
    #file /usr/sbin/named
    it will prbably tell you so.

EDIT: have you run the ISPConfig proggie that Tony referenced?
    doing that now ....