Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 112

Thread: I hate linux part II

  1. #21
    Forum Techie A_old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    10,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    ok ..lemme see if i understand correctly....

    within a terminal window ...as root i type

    ./firefox or ./firefox-bin ....correct?


    to install the nvidia drivers i typed in sh before the file name and it was kinda easy from there ...

    am i in the ballpark ?
    right, but more specifically you must be cd'd to that directory (the one firefox is in) so it can access the file. otherwise you need to add it to your path.

    anyway so for example

    cd /opt/firefox <enter>
    ./firefox <enter>


    where /opt/firefox is where you've extracted firefox and can list the files there..use it like dos only instead of typing an exe name, type ./BIN_NAME

    Depending on permissions and who extracted it, you may not need to be root.

  2. #22
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,982
    izzo, always get rpm files

  3. #23
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174

  4. #24
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,336
    Better yet, play with the Mandrake version you have for a while, seyt it up just how you like it, then wipe it completely and install Debian base. Once the base Debian distro is installed you can build up from there into the exact desired system you want without all the extra fluff and garbage that comes with Mandriva and other "let's-make-linux-mainstream" distros. For example, you don't need multiple window managers, you don't need multiple office suites, you don't need 3 browsers, etc. etc. Heck, you don't even need a desktop environment with Debian! I just use Fluxbox window manager and a few dock apps for icon shortcuts, and the systems has everything I want and need.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    izzo, always get rpm files
    ya

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    right, but more specifically you must be cd'd to that directory (the one firefox is in) so it can access the file. otherwise you need to add it to your path.

    anyway so for example

    cd /opt/firefox <enter>
    ./firefox <enter>


    where /opt/firefox is where you've extracted firefox and can list the files there..use it like dos only instead of typing an exe name, type ./BIN_NAME

    Depending on permissions and who extracted it, you may not need to be root.

    right...Yeah, i made sure i was in the firefox/ directory before I tried ...still got that same error.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Better yet, play with the Mandrake version you have for a while, seyt it up just how you like it, then wipe it completely and install Debian base. Once the base Debian distro is installed you can build up from there into the exact desired system you want without all the extra fluff and garbage that comes with Mandriva and other "let's-make-linux-mainstream" distros. For example, you don't need multiple window managers, you don't need multiple office suites, you don't need 3 browsers, etc. etc. Heck, you don't even need a desktop environment with Debian! I just use Fluxbox window manager and a few dock apps for icon shortcuts, and the systems has everything I want and need.
    Sort of for school......(don't ask) .... Book I'm reading from uses FC but then we decided to go to Mandriva....

  8. #28
    SG MVP Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SG Tavern
    Posts
    18,878
    can you post a long list from the FF directory?

    ls -al

    so we can see the pemissions and files in the dir.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    can you post a long list from the FF directory?

    ls -al

    so we can see the pemissions and files in the dir.
    I'm at work now .... I even looked at it via the Terminal window and a graphical file manager....saw the bin executable ... just couldnt get it to work.

  10. #30
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    You're probably right skye.....If I were Linux I'd hate me too


    it's a bin
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

    If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...

    EDIT - I am all for the learning experience of figuring this out, but if it's gonna turn you off of *nix, it's better to use a package mgr - we don't want to lose you to the darkside, Izz
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

    If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...
    You're right.

  12. #32
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,336
    Could be mismatched libraries issues, similar to whatb skye said re the dll analogy.
    Fixes here:
    http://www.penguinpusher.org/2005/12...mandriva-2006/
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  13. #33
    TV Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,815
    I also recommend Ubuntu, very very easy. All you have to do is sudo apt-get install firefox, its built in anyways. Just try it, also on there website they send you free install cds/live cds, unlimited amount.
    .

  14. #34
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,784
    Quote Originally Posted by mmione
    I also recommend Ubuntu, very very easy.
    Hmmm... Think I may try this.....someday.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Could be mismatched libraries issues, similar to whatb skye said re the dll analogy.
    Fixes here:
    http://www.penguinpusher.org/2005/12...mandriva-2006/

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid

    Success!.. Thanks Sid 'n Tony ...worked like a charm.


    It was an so problem...

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

    If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...

    EDIT - I am all for the learning experience of figuring this out, but if it's gonna turn you off of *nix, it's better to use a package mgr - we don't want to lose you to the darkside, Izz

    Actually, this sort of crap only makes me more determined...I just need to vent. You guys are the best.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

    If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...

    EDIT - I am all for the learning experience of figuring this out, but if it's gonna turn you off of *nix, it's better to use a package mgr - we don't want to lose you to the darkside, Izz
    had to urpmi that so file....you were right ....

  18. #38
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Actually, this sort of crap only makes me more determined...I just need to vent. You guys are the best.


    With taht spirit you'll be a guru in no time.

    Glad you worked it out.

    Skye

    EDIT - while for the 'hacking' experience and learning how things work, manual installs and configuration are great...if you plan on being a pro administrator, with a lot of boxes to manage, you WILL need to use automation. Learning the ins N outs of a package mgr is a very marketable skill.
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye


    With taht spirit you'll be a guru in no time.

    Glad you worked it out.

    Skye

    EDIT - while for the 'hacking' experience and learning how things work, manual installs and configuration are great...if you plan on being a pro administrator, with a lot of boxes to manage, you WILL need to use automation. Learning the ins N outs of a package mgr is a very marketable skill.

    yeah ....used the rpm manager to get the Nforce 4 drivers to work with this ....was slick ...just thought i'd go online ...firefox gave me the "update me" page so i thought ...what the hell...what a nightmare.


    edit>>thanks to you too skye
    Last edited by Izzo; 03-27-06 at 11:00 PM.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Success!.. Thanks Sid 'n Tony ...worked like a charm.


    It was an so problem...
    No problem. Myself, I'm a Debian core man. Running Ubuntu Breezy on the lappy, but have installed and ran Etch for a few weeks. Gave up after having so many problems getting the hardware to work right.

Similar Threads

  1. Why is Terrence Bradford sending me email about Magic Lubricants?
    By JawZ in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-03, 07:18 AM
  2. i hate this part of hardware!!!
    By YARDofSTUF in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-30-02, 11:18 PM
  3. Quick! I need Linux Help!
    By Brent in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-21-02, 09:59 PM
  4. Linux Network Dillema
    By Sadrok in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-02, 04:07 PM
  5. Christians a "hate group"
    By speedguidename in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-02, 03:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •