Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I hate linux part II

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    ok ..lemme see if i understand correctly....

within a terminal window ...as root i type

./firefox or ./firefox-bin ....correct?

to install the nvidia drivers i typed in sh before the file name and it was kinda easy from there ...

am i in the ballpark ?
    right, but more specifically you must be cd'd to that directory (the one firefox is in) so it can access the file. otherwise you need to add it to your path.

anyway so for example

cd /opt/firefox <enter>
    ./firefox <enter>

where /opt/firefox is where you've extracted firefox and can list the files there..use it like dos only instead of typing an exe name, type ./BIN_NAME

Depending on permissions and who extracted it, you may not need to be root.

izzo, always get rpm files

Better yet, play with the Mandrake version you have for a while, seyt it up just how you like it, then wipe it completely and install Debian base. Once the base Debian distro is installed you can build up from there into the exact desired system you want without all the extra fluff and garbage that comes with Mandriva and other "let's-make-linux-mainstream" distros. For example, you don't need multiple window managers, you don't need multiple office suites, you don't need 3 browsers, etc. etc. Heck, you don't even need a desktop environment with Debian! I just use Fluxbox window manager and a few dock apps for icon shortcuts, and the systems has everything I want and need.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    izzo, always get rpm files
    ya

Quote Originally Posted by Amro
    right, but more specifically you must be cd'd to that directory (the one firefox is in) so it can access the file. otherwise you need to add it to your path.

anyway so for example

cd /opt/firefox <enter>
    ./firefox <enter>

where /opt/firefox is where you've extracted firefox and can list the files there..use it like dos only instead of typing an exe name, type ./BIN_NAME

Depending on permissions and who extracted it, you may not need to be root.

right...Yeah, i made sure i was in the firefox/ directory before I tried ...still got that same error.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Better yet, play with the Mandrake version you have for a while, seyt it up just how you like it, then wipe it completely and install Debian base. Once the base Debian distro is installed you can build up from there into the exact desired system you want without all the extra fluff and garbage that comes with Mandriva and other "let's-make-linux-mainstream" distros. For example, you don't need multiple window managers, you don't need multiple office suites, you don't need 3 browsers, etc. etc. Heck, you don't even need a desktop environment with Debian! I just use Fluxbox window manager and a few dock apps for icon shortcuts, and the systems has everything I want and need.
    Sort of for school......(don't ask) .... Book I'm reading from uses FC but then we decided to go to Mandriva....

can you post a long list from the FF directory?

ls -al

so we can see the pemissions and files in the dir.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    can you post a long list from the FF directory?

ls -al

so we can see the pemissions and files in the dir.
    I'm at work now .... I even looked at it via the Terminal window and a graphical file manager....saw the bin executable ... just couldnt get it to work.

SG Enthusiast
    You're probably right skye.....If I were Linux I'd hate me too

it's a bin
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...

EDIT - I am all for the learning experience of figuring this out, but if it's gonna turn you off of *nix, it's better to use a package mgr - we don't want to lose you to the darkside, Izz
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I'd recommend the rpm flavor - you appear to have issues with a so (like dll in windows). Either can't be found or doesn't exist. An rpm mgr would fix this for you.

If no windows apps had installers, you'd be bitching just as loud about windows...
    You're right.

Could be mismatched libraries issues, similar to whatb skye said re the dll analogy.
    Fixes here:
    http://www.penguinpusher.org/2005/12...mandriva-2006/
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

TV Fanatic
    I also recommend Ubuntu, very very easy. All you have to do is sudo apt-get install firefox, its built in anyways. Just try it, also on there website they send you free install cds/live cds, unlimited amount.

Quote Originally Posted by mmione
    I also recommend Ubuntu, very very easy.
    Hmmm... Think I may try this.....someday.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    Could be mismatched libraries issues, similar to whatb skye said re the dll analogy.
    Fixes here:
    http://www.penguinpusher.org/2005/12...mandriva-2006/

Quote Originally Posted by Sid

Success!.. Thanks Sid 'n Tony ...worked like a charm.

It was an so problem...

EDIT - I am all for the learning experience of figuring this out, but if it's gonna turn you off of *nix, it's better to use a package mgr - we don't want to lose you to the darkside, Izz

Actually, this sort of crap only makes me more determined...I just need to vent. You guys are the best.

had to urpmi that so file....you were right ....

SG Enthusiast
    Actually, this sort of crap only makes me more determined...I just need to vent. You guys are the best.

With taht spirit you'll be a guru in no time.

Glad you worked it out.

Skye

EDIT - while for the 'hacking' experience and learning how things work, manual installs and configuration are great...if you plan on being a pro administrator, with a lot of boxes to manage, you WILL need to use automation. Learning the ins N outs of a package mgr is a very marketable skill.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

With taht spirit you'll be a guru in no time.

Glad you worked it out.

Skye

EDIT - while for the 'hacking' experience and learning how things work, manual installs and configuration are great...if you plan on being a pro administrator, with a lot of boxes to manage, you WILL need to use automation. Learning the ins N outs of a package mgr is a very marketable skill.

yeah ....used the rpm manager to get the Nforce 4 drivers to work with this ....was slick ...just thought i'd go online ...firefox gave me the "update me" page so i thought ...what the hell...what a nightmare.

edit>>thanks to you too skye
    Last edited by Izzo; 03-27-06 at 11:00 PM.

Success!.. Thanks Sid 'n Tony ...worked like a charm.

It was an so problem...
    No problem. Myself, I'm a Debian core man. Running Ubuntu Breezy on the lappy, but have installed and ran Etch for a few weeks. Gave up after having so many problems getting the hardware to work right.