Thread: Computer shuts off automatically

Computer shuts off automatically

Hello,

Recently (as Tuesday or Wednesday ), my computer has been shutting itself off. There is no warning about the computer requiring a reboot (like that one virus that did that), and there are no errors. My computer will just shut off. I turn it back on and it does a harddrive check, and continues to normally boot.

I have run virus scans from AVG, Avast, Trend Micro, and Symantec, which cleared all the viruses found. I also ran spywaredoctor and spybot search and destroy and got rid of everything there.

My computer specs are

Windows XP SP2
    Athlon 64 3500+
    1 gig of ram
    Nvidia Geforce 6600GT
    160 gig HD

I am really stumped because I have not added anything to my system in terms of programs or hardware, yet this problem poped up.

If anyone has any idea what's going on, please tell . Thanks alot for your help.

EDIT: I do not think it is a temperature problem because my comp runs at 30-40C all the time.
    Last edited by Altema; 03-23-06 at 12:42 PM.
    formerly: Banzaiiboi

Certified SG Addict
    ROFL

You're STILL getting viruses?!? Oh maaaaan!

Yeah . I even keep up two anti virus running all the time and they are always updated .

Sounds like you need to format and change your online habbits.

Is there anything that could be causing this?

Because if this is a hardware issue, formatting wouldnt do much, would it?

I'm just trying to figure out some cause because if all the viruses & spyware are gone, and the problem persists, what else would be causing my computer to just shut off?
    Last edited by Altema; 03-23-06 at 01:19 PM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    No error reporting after your sudden reboots? Often WinXP will want to send a report to MS...and when you do that, you can sometimes find the cause of the problem...such as you need to get the latest sound card drivers or something.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Altema
    Yeah . I even keep up two anti virus running all the time and they are always updated .
    Don't ever ever ever do that, it could be your problem, one antivirus program only.

Let's see if we can fix this, please do the following:

Prior to doing anything XP users MUST disable System Restore!!! You can re enable it after you are clean.

1. Download, install and run CrapCleaner to remove any temporary and junk files.

2. Download Ad-Aware SE 1.06 and set it up as shown HERE.

3. Download SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.4 and set it up as shown HERE.

4. Download and run CWShredder 2.19.

5. Download Ewido Anti-Malware 3.5 and set it up as shown HERE.

6. Unless you are already using Kaspersky Antivirus do a FREE online virus scan from Kaspersky Online Scanner, make sure to check the option to use the EXTENDED DATABASE option listed under "Scanning Options".

7. It it also a good idea to run the Winsock Fix to repair your TCP/IP stack. (you will have to redo any tweaks for your connection if this is used)

8. If after doing ALL of the above and you are still having problems please scan with HijackThis 1.99.1 as shown HERE and post a log here in this forum for us to look at.

9. Download SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 and set it up as shown HERE to help stay spyware free.

10. Make sure you have ALL of the latest Windows Updates.

:2cool:

YoS> Nope. After shutting off, the only difference I see is that it does a harddrive check.

mnosteele52> I have done everything you said, but the problem is still there.

Here is my hijack log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:49:11 PM, on 3/24/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Rainlendar\Rainlendar.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco...search/ie.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/yco.../www.yahoo.com
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - E:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\Program Files\DAP\DAPIEBar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nTrayFw] C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\AIM95\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DXDllRegExe] dxdllreg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Startup: Rainlendar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Rainlendar\Rainlendar.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\dapextie2.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Run DAP - {669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C} - C:\PROGRA~1\DAP\DAP.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nvappfilter.dll
    O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/k...an_unicode.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/Sha...in/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: app_filter - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
    O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - PC Tools Research Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
    O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

Thanks for all your help so far.

Incase anyone is reading this thread for a solution of their own. I think my problem was solved by taking out a piece of ram to test which of my two sticks were malfunctioning. I took out one stick, and the computer doesnt crash. When I put that stick back in, my computer failed to even boot up, so I assumed that the ram was the cause of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Altema
    Incase anyone is reading this thread for a solution of their own. I think my problem was solved by taking out a piece of ram to test which of my two sticks were malfunctioning. I took out one stick, and the computer doesnt crash. When I put that stick back in, my computer failed to even boot up, so I assumed that the ram was the cause of this.
    Good work!

same problem laptop shuts off

I'm going through and doing all that the forum is suggesting. (although spybot only goes through half my hard drive, then the laptop shuts off--been like thbis for awhile, even with updates.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Give it a go in "safe mode".

But first download and run CCleaner

Also try Adaware, and Microsofts Defender.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!