Thread: Connection spike ...

inimical

You need to call RR and ask them to check the signal strength on your Up and Down streams. If these levels are to far away from each other, you get Packet Loss. I had a similar problem with RoadRunner, and they had a guy come out and put a filter on the line that lowered the download signal strength to match the upload's. This has helped me immensely, hope it helps you!

goodluck!

inim

the reasons why you get connection spikes is because, your connection either gets timed out, or a person that just entered the server with a horrible internet connection such as 28.8k modem might have lagged the server so bad that it causes people to get kicked off, this happens to me too, note: everytime a person enters the same server as you, you should expect your ping to go up a little

Salza

Thanks for the info guys. incimical, what you stated sounds very interesting. My download has always seemed to be drastically higher than my upload when I monitor it in games. What's the average ratio between the up and down signal strength streams suppose to be?

the signal stenghts dont work that way. the guy paded your connection because he felt the signal was to high. This overdriving can cause coruption. The same can happen to the upstream unfortunately when you pad the downstream you spike the upstream. the reason your up and down are different is usually because you are 1: capped 2: the upstream carrier is smaller than the down stream.....Also how did he check the line. details please.
    Adventure! Is The Cry of TheUnprepared and The Ill Equipped.

inimical

Basically the RR tech that came out used my computer to log into a website on rr.com (he entered some passwords and such) From there he was able to access a screen which showed a bunch of stats about my connection. Then he went into my attic and installed a filter, and checked the stats again on my computer and the levels were then even. There is a name for the program he used, I just can't remember it off the top of my head.

inim

Salza

Post Connection spike ...

I play Counter-Strike frequently with my cable modem connection. My ping, on the average, is about 35 on the servers that I go to. Anyway, whenever I hop on a server, my connection seems to be rock solid for at least a good few minutes. Then I'll get a connection spike during the game where my character will not move (with the exception of the mouse view). Usually, it'll do this for an average of 5 to 8 seconds, sometimes longer to about 10. I'll most likely get a message on the top right corner of the game screen saying "WARNING: Connection Problem." Anyway, it'll seem to pick right back up one the spike goes away. This will continually happen while I play the game, on an average of 3 minutes between spikes, but the time between spikes can range from a couple of seconds to 10-15 minutes later. So to say it broadly, I get random connection spikes that last 5-8 seconds long.
    Ok, here's the kicker; the Road Runner guy just came today and replaced my cable modem with a new one, but I still get the connection spikes. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this situation? What's the cause of these connection spikes? Why is my connection so good with the exception of these random spikes? Is it my NIC (it's not 10/100 but that shouldn't matter)? Do I need to get them to check my lines more thouroughly (it almost seems pointless because he checked it when he was over here and said that he couldn't find anything)? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If you need any more information to help you understand my situation better, please reply, as I will be checking this forum frequently. Thanks

Salza

I'm still not sure exactly why I'm getting these random spikes. I do have a friend down the way, about 500 feet from my apartment, and he also has cable. His connection runs fine which leads me to believe that it's messing up somewhere between here and there. I'll set up another appointment with RoadRunner later on this week and keep you all posted, or at least whoever is interested.

inimical

Yeah, keep us posted, I'd like to know what was wrong.

imim