Thread: Help Needed Building Websites

Question Help Needed Building Websites

I'm trying to build a solid website. One with a nice blend of graphics and functionality incorperating a database if necessary. I've worked with coldfusion and access in the past but I don't fully understand how to integrate databases in website design.

With PHP getting more and more popular I am thinking of using it but I have never used MYSQL as a database engine. I have also heard of dynamic web content management system.

- How do they work and where can I find a good one to host a website?
    - Are they reliable?

I'm really just looking for any information that can help me develop a website for a business with dynamic page content rather than static html pages. I know I can come up with a nice dynamic website but I just don't know where to start.

How does the MySQL database design work?

You mentioned a dynamic content management system? Do u actually kno how these work, as building one jsut for yourself (ur own site) would be pointless. Companies use CMS's for websites that are updated daily etc. if your really keen there are open source ones available. Check out joomola i think its called.
    anyways come over and check out dreamweaverclub.com.
    Be able to help u out there.

I have a buddy that used a content management system to design his web site. He definately has a lot of experience with PHP. I have seen a lot of sites written in PHP and using CMS technology with nice layouts which is why I wanted to look into CMS.

To chiskq: Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by reznog12
    I'm trying to build a solid website. One with a nice blend of graphics and functionality incorperating a database if necessary. I've worked with coldfusion and access in the past but I don't fully understand how to integrate databases in website design.

With PHP getting more and more popular I am thinking of using it but I have never used MYSQL as a database engine. I have also heard of dynamic web content management system.

- How do they work and where can I find a good one to host a website?
    - Are they reliable?

I'm really just looking for any information that can help me develop a website for a business with dynamic page content rather than static html pages. I know I can come up with a nice dynamic website but I just don't know where to start.

How does the MySQL database design work?
    1. What will the site be used for? Answer to this q determined what direction to take, e.g. CMS or a regular site that integrates mysql usage for forms & some data storage, or private content or dynamic content.

2. yes, some are very reliable, some are inherently insecure and unreliable. You must know the caveats and security issues in each CMS, wherther free or paid.

3. mysql db design is not a design per se. One creates the db and the desired tables and their fields. One then can use php scripts, asp, or cgi pgms that get embedded into the html docs to (1)connect to db, (2) query db, (3) display query results as html content viewable in the browser or in a different file type like pdf, txt or image.

start reading here:
    http://www.comteche.com/data/tutorials/php/index.asp
    http://www.phpnoise.com/tutorials/
    http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    I've done SQL, oracle and access basics. Can't remember much of them but I do still understand some if I read it.

For Content management system with SQL and website related, try http://www.joomla.org

It was recommended to me by cyberskye here and I've been using it ever since. It's a great system and give it a chance. It only took me a week of toying around to learn the ropes.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. I'm checking out these sites now!

SG Enthusiast
    The true benefit of a CMS is collaboration - the idea of users of the site actually creating/updating content. There are other benefits, like pre-built mini applications (usually called modules) but the main one is collaboration.

You haven't specified what type of 'dynamic content' you are trying to implement, so it's hard to make a recommendation. It may be that you just need a server-side scripting language and a database, could be you only need javascript.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Post Need help

I need to suitable hardware platforms and software applications which can be used to produce more complex websites.

I need help on this!!!