Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Proof that Mcafee blows chunks

More Proof that Mcafee blows chunks

Anti-virus bungle devours files

By Louisa Hearn
    March 14, 2006 - 12:18PM

McAfee is "working around the clock" to help customers hit by a faulty batch of its anti-virus updates that disabled popular programs such as Windows Excel.

Hundreds of legitimate programs were incorrectly identified as a low-risk Windows 95 virus called W95/CTX and deleted or quarantined within a seemingly routine anti-virus definintion update.

The company is currently working with "affected customers" in Australia, but said the impact of the error had not been too widespread because the faulty definitions were only available here between 5:35am and 10am on Saturday morning.

According to McAfee, the flaw was triggered during manual and scheduled on-demand virus scans taking place over a five-hour period from 6:35pm GMT. It affected customers using VirusScan Enterprise 7.0 and greater, Managed VirusScan 3.5 and 4.0 Beta, VirusScan Online 10 and greater, LinuxShield and VirusScan 7.03 (Consumer).

Since the incident occurred, McAfee said it had been "working around the clock directly with customers" to help them assess the degree of impact and restore the files where possible.

A list of affected programs is available on the company's website and it has also written up an FAQ on the situation which includes links to instructions on how to fixing the problem.

"We know that our ability to protect our customers quickly in the event of an outbreak depends largely on their confidence in our work. We are determined to earn that trust every day and will do everything in our control to mitigate this problem now and in the future," the company said.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/...098441830.html
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

I gave up on McAfee years ago, largely for the same reason listed above. Years ago I had to spend time testing the antivirus on offline systems, that it was not worth it. Personaly I don't think it could find a booger on a white hankerchief.
    USAF RETIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide
    Personaly I don't think it could find a booger on a white hankerchief.

That's quotable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

I've seen so many problems with McAfee...

I just did a security job for a friend of a friend about 2 months ago. McAfee was the av, and they'd also been using the McAfee Anti-Spyware.

Spybot found like over 600 spywares...lol

cleaned it all off after several reboots, memory was loaded with crap, gave spybot and hijack this a workout.

got them to switch to Norton. They haven't needed me yet...

nice post Pie.

Imagine this hit on American time...wow all the poor AOheLler's 9.0SE would have been SOOL. Could have used the extra biz tho. Must be a bunch of lucky Aussie techs down there making some bucks right now fixing Mcafee's mess.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    Imagine this hit on American time...wow all the poor AOheLler's 9.0SE would have been SOOL. Could have used the extra biz tho. Must be a bunch of lucky Aussie techs down there making some bucks right now fixing Mcafee's mess.

Pie

lol, I donot use Mcafee, I like f-prot because it's light and powerful. May be Mcafee wanna fight M$ haha

I just went back to trying Norton Corp. AVG was letting too many things get by ...

The norton Corp isn't too bad - not all bloated like the retail version ...

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie_R
    I just went back to trying Norton Corp. AVG was letting too many things get by ...

The norton Corp isn't too bad - not all bloated like the retail version ...
    Version 10 got pretty bloated, I can't stand McAfee or Symantec...and I had been a HUGE reseller/VAR for Symantec Corp Edition since around version 5.0. I started to like them less around version 9..and 10 sealed it. Todays threats have evolved from just viruses/worms, to adware/spyware/trojans tossed into the mix....and those big two traditional names have fallen way behing the better European antivirus products in that battle...such as NOD32 and Kapersky.

Almost every week...as I replace a Symantec Corp Edition network when its license expires..with NOD32...I see NOD picking up stuff Symantec never cared about.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

hmm ... I'll have to give the NOD a try too ... thanks YOSC

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Version 10 got pretty bloated, I can't stand McAfee or Symantec...and I had been a HUGE reseller/VAR for Symantec Corp Edition since around version 5.0. I started to like them less around version 9..and 10 sealed it. Todays threats have evolved from just viruses/worms, to adware/spyware/trojans tossed into the mix....and those big two traditional names have fallen way behing the better European antivirus products in that battle...such as NOD32 and Kapersky.

Almost every week...as I replace a Symantec Corp Edition network when its license expires..with NOD32...I see NOD picking up stuff Symantec never cared about.
    I didn't know you'd switched.

I'll have to try it out, looks like I'm buying a mobo from rivas soon, I'll try it it out then.

thanks.

Stonecat and the gospel of Esset.. converting Symantec users, one forum member at a time.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Certified SG Addict
    We recently purchased a new Dell for the office, and I timed the start-up (after the initial boot up)...3 MINUTES. Part of that was the SIX McAfee apps loading at startup, all of which were bastards to uninstall. They'd give me the "You need to stop the program first." I did. Then I was told I had to reboot. I did. Loaded again. Forgot to disable it in msconfig, did that. Rebooted. Upon reboot, I get error messages because McAfee wasn't running. Went through Add/Remove Programs, it crashed twice trying to uninstall everything. It's ****e.

i havnt ran anti virus or spyware apps in like 2 month's :P doing pretty good, just keeping an extra sharp eye on were i go and download

Ughh

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete
    i havnt ran anti virus or spyware apps in like 2 month's :P doing pretty good, just keeping an extra sharp eye on were i go and download

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah
    Stonecat and the gospel of Esset.. converting Symantec users, one forum member at a time.

When ya gonna jump onboard?

Seriously though...it's all about A/V products from across the pond now...Kapersky, NOD32, BitDefender....all good stuff.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Rackin' frackin' (*&@#^%# Veritas Backup Exec agent media mount errors.!

)(*&$#@)(*!#(*&WQ$E
    Guinness for Strength!!!

When ya gonna jump onboard?
    Well, I recently re-installed my servers from scratch and have been running without AV on the servers for a few weeks now. So, yeah, I definitely need to climb aboard before the sharks get me. I've just been on a tight budget lately and I'm not looking forward to paying "enterprise" licensing costs for my home network. If I install it as a client on one of my servers, I'll be needing 1 server license and 5 clients to start.

How easily and affordable can I add single client licenses later on after I've made the jump? I have to ask becuase I might actually need 6 client licenses in the future and I'd hate to have to drop down on a full 10 licenses from the start, then it really starts to get expensive.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Rackin' frackin' (*&@#^%# Veritas Backup Exec agent media mount errors.!

)(*&$#@)(*!#(*&WQ$E
    You're kidding right? I'm sitting here fighting with two different backup servers as I type this. One version 9.1 that keeps getting stuck in "Pre-processing", no matter how many KB articles I try out.. Then the other version 10d server is having random SCSI timeout issues.. I'm so over backup issues, it's not even funny.