Thread: GamePC: Furthering Their Lead : AMD’s Opteron 285 Processors

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

GamePC: Furthering Their Lead : AMD’s Opteron 285 Processors

"AMD has been downright unstoppable in the workstation and server markets as of late. While their worldwide market share in these arenas is still a fraction of Intel's, AMD's Opteron processor has been making incredible strides as of late, gaining traction with big businesses and winning the respect of IT managers worldwide. With Intel's continued performance slump and high power draw with their Xeon family of processors, along with the AMD's excellent performance per clock and low power draw, the Opteron has become the platform of choice for business use in 2006.

The last time we looked at the AMD Opteron processor was with the release of the 280 model, which competed against Intel's newly released "Paxville" dual-core Xeon processor. Many will no doubt recall the drumming which AMD gave Intel in all of our benchmarks, despite Intel boasting higher clock frequencies and a larger amount of on-die cache. The Opteron 280 chip rightfully took its place as the high-end workstation processor of choice for the last five months, whereas Intel's Paxville landed with a gigantic thud on the workstation market. Paxville is, more or less, dead in the eyes of the workstation and server market. Despite its capabilities, Paxville's power consumption levels were unbelievable to many, negating the chip to be a good choice in very niche market situations. However, Intel is preparing their next generation Xeon processor line to be released in the next few weeks, and AMD is no doubt aware of the threat and are preparing accordingly.

Instead of waiting for Intel's launch, AMD has fired the first shot of the workstation wars of 2006 with the release of their new Opteron 285 processor. Architecturally identical to the Opteron 200-series dual-core chips of the past, the Opteron 285 processor is manufactured on AMD's latest chip spins, allowing them to reliably clock the chip up to 2.6 GHz. The Opteron 285 is, performance wise, nearly identical to AMD's Athlon64 FX-60 chip for the desktop, but has the ability to be linked together for multi-processor operation. Let's see how these new 2.6 GHz Rev. E cores can rock in a quad-core configuration under Windows XP x64 Edition."

Full article here:
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...eron285&page=1

MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

hate to say it, but I kinda wished I went with a dual core opty insted of my x2. I've seen them hit 2.9ghz easily

MSI 990FXA-GD80v2
    AMD FX-8350 @ 4.62ghz
    16GB DDR3 @ 1866 8-9-9-24 1.5v
    2 x 150gb WD Raptors in Raid 0
    750GB WD Black
    500GB WD Black
    1TB WD Ultra USB3 ext
    Sapphire 7970
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by illestdynasty
    hate to say it, but I kinda wished I went with a dual core opty insted of my x2. I've seen them hit 2.9ghz easily

Still luck of the draw. Not all opterons hit 2.9. Those 939 Opterons aren't even what are being mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by illestdynasty
    maybe the lucky ones do, i know mine will not do that at all.