Thread: Intel Wireless Gateway help

Intel Wireless Gateway help

Hello,

I have Cable modem service with Comcast. I have a garage about 400 yards away from the house. I would like to have a wireless internet connection in the garage. I have tried to connect with the trusty laptop and do not get enough signal throughout the buidling. On one side I connect and work fine. I dont really want to use the laptop in the corner that I get service.

I basically want to setup an Intel Wireless Gateway. I would like to leave the gateway in the corner where I have signal and then beam it to my laptop on the other side of the garage.

Here is what I have. The router in the house is a linksys wrt54g. It is configured for open users. No encryption and DCHP. Its IP is 192.168.1.1.

My Intel Wireless Gateway needs to be configured wired, so here is where I need the help. I Need to know what to set IP to, if I need to set DCHP enabled, and what other options I need to setup to get the Gateway to connect to the other router and work. I had set it up with an IP of 192.168.0.2. I tried to connect to the net and got nada.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by leon phelps
    Hello,

I have Cable modem service with Comcast. I have a garage about 400 yards away from the house. I would like to have a wireless internet connection in the garage. I have tried to connect with the trusty laptop and do not get enough signal throughout the buidling. On one side I connect and work fine. I dont really want to use the laptop in the corner that I get service.
    I basically want to setup an Intel Wireless Gateway. I would like to leave the gateway in the corner where I have signal and then beam it to my laptop on the other side of the garage.
    Here is what I have. The router in the house is a linksys wrt54g. It is configured for open users. No encryption and DCHP. Its IP is 192.168.1.1.
    My Intel Wireless Gateway needs to be configured wired, so here is where I need the help. I Need to know what to set IP to, if I need to set DCHP enabled, and what other options I need to setup to get the Gateway to connect to the other router and work. I had set it up with an IP of 192.168.0.2. I tried to connect to the net and got nada.

Thanks for any help.
    Enable DHCP on the router, assign an IP of 192.168.1.5 to the Intel gateway and disable DHCP on the Intel. If you decide to set up a static IP on the computer, be sure to enter the DNS settings of your ISP (cmd prompt and ipconfig /all)
    You might need to power off the router, gateway and computer. Then start them up in the order of router, gateway and computer allowing several seconds in between for each to pick up IP's, make connections etc.
    Hope it helps.